EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general-250/)
-   -   Need advice (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general/727334-need-advice.html)

Keith Yoass Apr 10, 2016 09:05 AM

Need advice

Hey guys, I am looking to buy a Evo X. Just looking for a little advice to take with me through the buying process.
I am only 17 and am worried that insurance will be through the roof with it being force inducted and it will more than likely be getting some performance mods on it I.E exhaust cams ect.

migs647 Apr 10, 2016 11:17 AM

Mods won't factor into your insurance unless you tell them.

Can you get your parents to co-title it with you so you can be on their insurance? That would help. Insurance will be quite a bit, but shop around. Try AAA.

.M. Apr 10, 2016 12:23 PM

If you're worried about insurance, get an estimate before even going in. IMO, not worth it if it's going to be through the roof as you say.

Epyon Apr 11, 2016 12:54 PM

I remember a thread a while back where someone, I think around age 20?, was looking at getting the X. Not sure how the thread ended but he was looking at around $4-6k every 6 months for insurance on a brand new 2015. It's a fast car, and when something bad happens to it, insurance gets to pay lots of money. Just wait til your 23-25 and insurance is a little cheaper before you get an evo.

TxFAkuma Apr 11, 2016 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Epyon (Post 11601964)
I remember a thread a while back where someone, I think around age 20?, was looking at getting the X. Not sure how the thread ended but he was looking at around $4-6k every 6 months for insurance on a brand new 2015. It's a fast car, and when something bad happens to it, insurance gets to pay lots of money. Just wait til your 23-25 and insurance is a little cheaper before you get an evo.

Sounds about right for the price. but wait...? Dude if it is the car you want then get it now.. The Evo is already out of production and the longer you wait it will be abused.... more.

CRC3EVO Apr 11, 2016 06:28 PM

im 22 now and i pay $300 a month and my car payment is $70 more then my insurance

LB_Reddy Apr 11, 2016 08:13 PM

If you're 17.looking est 300_400 better off put under your parents name it will help.

Epyon Apr 12, 2016 05:18 AM

he was looking at around $4-6k every 6 months for insurance on a brand new 2015.

You guys realize this is around $800-1000 every month for just the insurance, you might as well own a ferrari. But if you can insure it under your parents and have them as the primary then it won't be much more than an average car assuming they have decent driving records.

I agree that the evo isn't getting any younger and will be abused with time, but can you justify the ridiculous amounts of money every month just to buy one now? All that money could be saved up and spent on buying the evo in a few years.

Veronica Apr 12, 2016 08:04 AM

My $.02?

Rare is the young man/first driver who gets a high perf car and does not wreck it within one year. Your friends will egg you on to drive at stoopid speeds and do stunts. They will. Rarer still is the man who can say no...

So fast-forward one year. That guy now has a accident and insurance is hard to find (and if he can find it - it is butt-hurt expensive) - they may even drop his parents from the policy.

That guy can barely afford a Corolla and misses the EVO X and cries his'sef to sleep every night...

So my advice? Perhaps you should buy the Corolla now and as suggested above, save the money. The EVO X (or better) will be there when you are ready and able...

Again, just my $.02. Everyone is an exception. An extraordinary driver. Just ask them.

Evo X10 Apr 13, 2016 06:06 PM

I'm 26 going to be 27 and my insurance is high so I can only imagine. I personally wouldn't start with an evo. But if you can afford it go for it.

nvmaddog Apr 13, 2016 06:34 PM

Do you have any idea what kind of driving record you would need to have in order for your payments to be that high?

This is a 30k car, not a 100k car that a 17 year old will be trying to insure.

I'd imagine his premium would be around 300 a month on his own then around 200 or so if he were on someone's policy that had a decent driving record, maybe less if he's lucky.

rivalbro Apr 14, 2016 02:00 AM

Damn those insurance you guys pay are very high.
In my country I pay about $180 per year for my 2009. This being third party mandatory coverage only. If the car is less than 5 years old then I can get full coverage, with that our cost of insurance comes to 3.25% of the car's value per year. We pay a fee per year only, no monthly payments.

I paid about $360 for my 2012 Subaru Legacy, full coverage, in February this year.

I feel for you guys!

Epyon Apr 14, 2016 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by nvmaddog (Post 11603112)
Do you have any idea what kind of driving record you would need to have in order for your payments to be that high?

This is a 30k car, not a 100k car that a 17 year old will be trying to insure.

I'd imagine his premium would be around 300 a month on his own then around 200 or so if he were on someone's policy that had a decent driving record, maybe less if he's lucky.

I'm 24 with a clean driving record, and my insurance is $270 a month. It's absolutely insane, but it is what it is. If this kid can afford it then who am I to stop him, but I personally think that saving that kind of money is a better solution when you're still not even drinking age.

nvmaddog Apr 14, 2016 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Epyon (Post 11603218)
I'm 24 with a clean driving record, and my insurance is $270 a month. It's absolutely insane, but it is what it is. If this kid can afford it then who am I to stop him, but I personally think that saving that kind of money is a better solution when you're still not even drinking age.

Quoting ridiculous figures isn't helping anyone out, no one is paying 4000 for 6 months on a 30k car short of if they are hitting people on a monthly basis and getting 3 or 4 tickets a year.

Now on to you paying 270 a month, if your driving record is clean and your credit is decent, you are over paying. Depending on your deductible choices of course.

migs647 Apr 14, 2016 07:22 AM

270 a month is definitely overpaying if you have a normal record. I'd definitely shop around. Try AAA.