EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general-250/)
-   -   2015 Loaded MR or Loaded FE? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general/732239-2015-loaded-mr-loaded-fe.html)

comingabriel Aug 20, 2016 09:29 AM

2015 Loaded MR or Loaded FE?

I am a noob, so sorry.
I have a 2015 Golf R, and switch over is sorta tuff, but I have been VW loyal since 2002.

Now, I am pretty done with with VW's and looking for an Evo.

Problem is, I know NOTHING about them.

How solid is the motor compared to the Golf R?

STi was another option, but after having worked there and every week at least one new STi motor was being replaced or rebuilt (modded).
Their trans is bullet proof compared to VW's junk manual.
Our DSG is pretty tuff, especially if the clutch packs are upgraded with the right tune.

The 2015 Golf R DSG trans can handle over 500-600hp easy (tune and clutch packs), if not completely abused like an a$$hat.

How much power can the MR trans handle easy?

How about the clutch?
How much can it handle?

MR or Final Edition?
Which is the most desired if the trans was not a factor? In the sense, you are a manual person and will never accept anything else.

I am a manual guy, but the DSG (auto) is signif faster than the manual R, and almost all manual owners want to switch to it. Why I am considering the MR, unless it can't handle as well as the manual with upgrades to either.

Don't want to pick the wrong car. So, any, and all info to help me decide, which is the better car of the two would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea. I am leaning twd the FE if I even drop the R.

This is not an MFG war, or model war. I am pretty much done with German cars in all honesty.

TIA {thumbup} :beer:

migs647 Aug 20, 2016 06:08 PM

The SST can handle up to 400wtq, but recommend clutches around there, and 400+ whp on a dynojet. The manual transmission can definitely handle more. Hands down, no questions asked.

I've owned an MR and now own an FE. What's great about the FE is it gets the MR disc brakes and suspension, which I loved about my MR. I loved the SST, but I didn't want to put myself in a position where i might have to replace a $10k transmission because of tracking.

I also love the SST for drivability. That extra sixth gear is very nice.

I always ran my SST in sport (or super sport) manual mode. Just used the paddles all the time, and I was very happy with that even though I'm a rev matching gear shifting nut. I miss my SST as I was definitely quicker with it at the track, even with slightly less whp.

The FE on the other hand is great too. I love it so much more than my 2011 GSR. It rides smoother, the transmission feels smoother, it has an interesting power curve compared to my '11 too. And they have been getting better tunes out of the FE than the GSR (I believe this is due to the sodium filled valves, but not sure).

I'm replacing the seats with Recaros this weekend. Once I have wheels / tires, I'll be set.

moparfan Aug 21, 2016 09:54 AM

I originally wanted a 2015 MR, I still do.

Even though the trans is well understood and capable of being fixed/upgraded, I don't like my chances in case it just grenades. I daily drive my Evo so I don't need extra excitement in that regard. The manual trans is pretty good once I broke it in that is. getting through winter was a pain. So, the possibility of a crushing expense scared me off the last - however remote that may be.

comingabriel Aug 22, 2016 05:11 PM

Evo FE seems like win, but will see tomorrow.
Going to see if I can get convinced an MR over an FE.

BlueBlurSTi Aug 23, 2016 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by comingabriel (Post 11655245)
Evo FE seems like win, but will see tomorrow.
Going to see if I can get convinced an MR over an FE.

If you are going to stay stock the MR is okay but I would not mod one due to warranty and potential Trans damage from more power.

DeeezNuuuts83 Aug 23, 2016 10:56 PM

What happened that is making you leave VW alone?

Do you have a girlfriend/wife/significant other who may drive the car at some point but can't drive stick? If not, just go with the FE.

auronle Aug 24, 2016 02:20 AM

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...re-thread.html
Hi, hope this help ✌️

comingabriel Aug 25, 2016 01:09 PM

I had OCD kick in to get one, then 3 closest dealers turned into major creeps and want close to MSRP after droping prices. Sorry, I am not paying almost sticker for a 2 year old car, even if it is new with half the features as my car. Straight line, stock for stock, buh bye & Missyou Mr. Evo FE... No offense. But, with a TCM tune, car can handle 600 ft-lbs, MR can handle what? I am a bit disappointed and heartbroken, Oh well, now comes a >550hp daily drivable VW Golf R. Thanks all for those who have helped! :thumbup:

Napalm_Enema Aug 25, 2016 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by comingabriel (Post 11656496)
I had OCD kick in to get one, then 3 closest dealers turned into major creeps and want close to MSRP after droping prices. Sorry, I am not paying almost sticker for a 2 year old car, even if it is new with half the features as my car. Straight line, stock for stock, buh bye & Missyou Mr. Evo FE... No offense. But, with a TCM tune, car can handle 600 ft-lbs, MR can handle what? I am a bit disappointed and heartbroken, Oh well, now comes a >550hp daily drivable VW Golf R. Thanks all for those who have helped! :thumbup:

lol yeah ok cya

Do call us with your 600lb tq VW like that will ever happen.

Even if you do achieve that, which is doubtful, it will still be a crazy ugly VW with all the mechanical and electrical nightmares that go with it.

JDZNate Aug 25, 2016 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema (Post 11656512)
lol yeah ok cya

Do call us with your 600lb tq VW like that will ever happen.

Even if you do achieve that, which is doubtful, it will still be a crazy ugly VW with all the mechanical and electrical nightmares that go with it.

Damn dude. A little unnecessary. :rolleyes:

migs647 Aug 25, 2016 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by comingabriel (Post 11656496)

you can always get one from another state and have it shipped. I hear florida has some way under.

joonvang Aug 25, 2016 03:41 PM

It just really depends on what you are going to use it for. If its going to be driven most of the time in the city, I say go with the MR. If not go with the FE if you don't mind driving manual all the time. (some people like to switch between auto and manual). I think both car FE or MR will depreciate nicely. At the end of the day just choose the one that makes you happy.

Napalm_Enema Aug 25, 2016 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by JDZNate (Post 11656519)
Damn dude. A little unnecessary. :rolleyes:

Unnecessary like him trashing our platform on his way to the VW dealership?

lol

ok

comingabriel Aug 25, 2016 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by migs647 (Post 11656538)
you can always get one from another state and have it shipped. I hear florida has some way under.

No one wants to do it sight unseen.

Unless, you know more than me, PM me if you know a way.

I want the FE.

OBTW: MK4 Cars were with the electrical, if they had it. Every mfg has electrical or whatever issues. No where you wont find a brand without issues.

moladin Aug 25, 2016 06:31 PM

I rarely post here but I want to give my 2c. At the moment I own EVO X GSR, bought it brand-new in 2013 and I have recently bought MK7 GTI DSG as a daily driver. Obviously GTI is no R, but I couldn't justify spending $10k more just for a daily driver car. I will probably just keep GTI stock. I may eventually trade the GTI for the R in a few years, if I get tired of tire squealing being a front wheel drive.

The question is, have you drove EVO X before or know someone that has it? Let me tell you that EVO interior is horrendous compare to MK7. After you drive EVO of the lot you will probably start hearing rattles from somewhere. You will also lose some visibility on EVO compare to MK7. EVO has the ****tiest turning radius of any car I have ever driven. The car is heavy, the MPG is like having a V8.

BUT, EVO X is the most fun of all the performance cars that I have driven, it's better than S4 and 335XI. The mechanical LSD of EVO X is magical. EVO in stock form is under power, but once modded (even lightly), it will be noticeably faster. You can add a lot of power to EVO, but you have to pay to play, 800HP? No problem (drivability will probably be shot to hell though).

I did a lot of research on the Golf R before I bought the GTI, the MQB is a great platform, but 600HP to the wheel? I am not sure if that is possible without some kind of consequences. Golf platform also can't really run wide tires, how much power can you really put down? I think 400HP on R is more realistic. MQB (US) is also known to have problem with carbon buildup, adding more HP will probably accelerate the buildup. If you want to keep the car long term while modded, I actually think EVO has a better chance to survive.

I suggest you find someone kind enough locally that own EVO X and drive around if the dealer won't let you test drive the EVO. EVO is very easy to mod, I ripped my car apart to install and have no trouble putting it back together. Good luck if you have to remove anything in Golf and trying to put it back together.