EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general-250/)
-   -   Has anyone had this bad of luck with a lower milage evo? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general/743155-has-anyone-had-bad-luck-lower-milage-evo.html)

EvO MD Sep 5, 2017 10:29 PM

Has anyone had this bad of luck with a lower milage evo?

I was just curious out there if anyone else experienced horrible luck with there evo. I bought my 2013 evo x with 40k and on it 2 years ago. Bought the car "stock" from a Stealership. One month with the car it was fowling out spark plugs while hitting boost. Found out car had a boost controller on it and was over boosting without it tuned "partially my fault " for not seeing it. I got the car professionally tuned at iveytune. Car ran good for about 3 months then the clutch went out in traffic literally not moving in traffic went to put it in first to take off and pop. At this time my acd pump was going "the flashing tarmac light" was blinking all the time so got both the clutch and pump changed. Get the car back over a month and a half later... cars leaking transmission fluid everywhere and the tarmac light still blinking. I took the car back multiple times to get the leak fixed and pump looked at again ended up being a leak at the seal of the transmission and a faulty pump. Once i got that sorted out after 3 months. Car was running good for about 4 months and then just now 3 weeks ago car threw a check engine light and started bogging and breaking up really bad. towed it to the shop and the motor pretty much lost compression in every cylinder and needs a new short block. Car currently had 53k on it and all i have as mods is AMS full TBE with cat, and ebc and the car is dynotuned. *edit* This car isn't my daily driver and never been to the track or even launched before. I really baby this car with an occasionally going through the gears every once in a while.

*UPDATE* Car was actually covered under warranty and the dealership ordered me a brand new oem shortblock and they sent the head out to be refurbished. The service manger reassured me the car will have a pretty much new motor after all said and done.

Modifications on the car currently when motor failed- AMS TBE W/HFC, Grimmspeed EBC , Dynotune by iveytune making 324whp,320tq on dynojet.

Sam Lau Sep 6, 2017 01:35 AM

wow man,after reading your story I feel bad. I bought a 2013 evo x several months ago. I was in debate between a 2015+ sti and an evo. In the end I went for the evo. The car's giving me some headache too. My dash has that blinking tarmac thing occasionally which means the pump is going to fail. My LTFT cruise is off for some reason and hits 10% at a point. The car was straight piped and super loud so I put my stock CB back on and now the car pops a p2096 code. I didn't buy the car from a dealership and previous owner seems to know the car really well. It really makes me question if chose the wrong car...

EvO MD Sep 6, 2017 04:47 AM

Yea I guess I learned my lesson buying a used sports car. It a shame people really don't take care of these cars at all and beat the crap out of them then just trade them in for the next persons problem.

moparfan Sep 6, 2017 01:35 PM

Yeah, if the previous owner ran it without tuning it I'm sure he also hammered it and did damage that can't be undone in the engine.

As for the driveline - who did that work...

EvO MD Sep 6, 2017 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by moparfan (Post 11770209)
Yeah, if the previous owner ran it without tuning it I'm sure he also hammered it and did damage that can't be undone in the engine.

As for the driveline - who did that work...

Yea, I agree with you on that one. I would of never bought it knowing there was a boost controller tucked in the back corner of the car. The pump and clutch were done at J&s Mitsubishi which was a nightmare. I only went to a dealership because they covered the pump under warranty and they let me put in an aftermarket clutch there, so I figured might as well just get them both done there. I was clearly mistaken lol.

fafaforza Sep 6, 2017 09:40 PM

When I was shopping, used Evos with 25k miles were going for only $5k less than brand new with 0% from Mitsu, so that was worth the peace of mind for me.

KRome Sep 6, 2017 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by EvO MD (Post 11770073)
Yea I guess I learned my lesson buying a used sports car. It a shame people really don't take care of these cars at all and beat the crap out of them then just trade them in for the next persons problem.

It's not because it's a used sports car. It's because it's an Evo.

I took a gamble like you did and bought mine with 52K miles. Luckily 18mos. later and 110k miles she's doing awesome.

You just have to be extra vigilant when it comes to buying used vehicles in general and also be aware of the specific model car you're buying not just if it's a 'regular' or 'sports' car.

MR15 Sep 7, 2017 07:01 AM

Always stock vs returned to stock vs modified is a more important factor than mileage, imo.

All things equal, I'd buy a car with higher miles if I knew it had never been modified. So many improperly modified vehicles out there. And even when done right, you still have to account for the added wear on the drivetrain in some regard.

S13Koop Sep 12, 2017 12:34 PM

Damn that sucks man. Of course its a gamble not buying new but who would've seen that coming.
Thats some terrible luck. :crap:

VR4Babe13 Sep 12, 2017 12:48 PM

Ugh, that sucks..

Did you happen to buy it from Prestige BMW? I see you are from nJ... I used to work there and wanted to buy the evo x ... I have an eb evo 8.

If that was you we spoke in the parking lot of Prestige mini ... lol I told you how f***ed up of them it was .

On another note, do you want to sell it? lol

bruiselee Sep 12, 2017 05:52 PM

Wow that sucks man, bought mine with 55k miles almost 2 years ago and i haven't had any issues with it knock on wood. Kinda sketchy buying a used Evo unless you know what's been done to it

EvO MD Sep 12, 2017 08:37 PM

*Update on the car* I took my car to peruzzi mitsubishi hoping to be covered under warranty and they ARE actually covering the motor. Getting a Brand new oem shortblock and they sent the head out to be refurbished. Hopefully all the parts come in and motor goes back together smooth.

Kxts Sep 13, 2017 12:19 AM

Wow these posts are really scaring me to be honest. I've been recently saving to buy a 14 Evo X within this year but all I've been hearing is problems after problems. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person, I can handle my oil changes and simple bolt ons, but why does it sound like you need to be a mechanic to own one of these vehicles? Grinding notchyness when shifting into gears or just being locked out completely, engines flashing codes, etc. I didn't want to be another average Subaru owner but the new FA20 in the WRXs is really sounding nice right about now. Can anyone here reassure me or am I pretty much right?

DRAGHICI Sep 13, 2017 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by evo md (Post 11771635)
*update on the car* i took my car to peruzzi mitsubishi hoping to be covered under warranty and they are actually covering the motor. Getting a brand new oem shortblock and they sent the head out to be refurbished. Hopefully all the parts come in and motor goes back together smooth.

your so lucky!

kyoo Sep 13, 2017 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by EvO MD (Post 11771635)
*Update on the car* I took my car to peruzzi mitsubishi hoping to be covered under warranty and they ARE actually covering the motor. Getting a Brand new oem shortblock and they sent the head out to be refurbished. Hopefully all the parts come in and motor goes back together smooth.

i was pretty "meh" a/b the first post until the shortblock. amazing they are covering it. i would update your first post with that. and i would advise you do a top to bottom of all the mods that have been done on the car so you can figure out what you need to do, as well as what happened. surprising after a trip to ivey that it failed.