EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general-250/)
-   -   Did an oil change and found this... what is it? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general/743248-did-oil-change-found-what.html)

2010evoxgsr Sep 10, 2017 09:48 AM

Did an oil change and found this... what is it?

i have a built motor:
- Wiseco Piston
- Manley H-Beam Rods
- King Bearings
- Kelford Cams
- SS Valves
- Supertech Valve Spring/ Retainer
- ARP Head Studs

it has around 7-10k miles, only at 400whp right now. Does anyone have any idea what this could be from? I was changing my oil and the magnetic drain plug had this stuck to it, not sure what it could be. Let me know what you think... maybe from the cams? Is it something I should be worried about? Car runs great still....

TxFAkuma Sep 10, 2017 01:19 PM

Brand new car? Engine shedding? This is the break in period for your engine. You should find these in the oil after your break in period. This is why they recommend changing your first engine oil at 1500 miles. then again at 3000 miles.

But idk if that's the case in this situation because i don't know if your car is new. But if it is then... this is absolutely normal. Its just engine shavings from the break in period.

Then i wanna know why would you buy a car then change your oil at 10k for the first time.

SnowGT Sep 10, 2017 02:43 PM

I don't think it is normal in a new rebuilt engine.

But maybe it is not as serious as it seems, sometimes after the machining work, some residues sits in the galleries, and if the clean was not so meticulous, you have this.

If there are no other metal particles in the oil, i think you don't have nothing to worry

RazorLab Sep 10, 2017 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by TxFAkuma (Post 11771085)

But idk if that's the case in this situation because i don't know if your car is new. But if it is then... this is absolutely normal. Its just engine shavings from the break in period.

Get out of here. First of all you didn't even read the post. He stated the engine is built and has approx 10k miles on it. A piece of metal that size in a new or used engine is NOT normal. That can cause serious damage to bearings and anything else it comes in contact with.

Shimmery oil is normal on a engine build for the first oil change.

I'm assuming that was sitting in the pan and didn't get sucked through the oil pickup because it was so large so the OP is most likely okay.

kaj Sep 10, 2017 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by TxFAkuma (Post 11771085)
You should find these in the oil after your break in period.... this is absolutely normal. Its just engine shavings from the break in period.

Um... WTF??

S13Koop Sep 12, 2017 12:31 PM

Thats quite the shaving tho.

LetsGetThisDone Sep 12, 2017 01:14 PM

That is a LARGE shaving. Like, even bigger than what would get left behind from the machine work done to the block. I would send the oil off for analysis (Black Stone Labs), see if they see anything abnormal.

4b11slayer Sep 12, 2017 03:00 PM

Could be big enough to be from the drain bolt threads.

Napalm_Enema Sep 13, 2017 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by 4b11slayer (Post 11771566)
Could be big enough to be from the drain bolt threads.

This seems most logical and likely. Something that size to get to the oil pan in one piece would be almost impossible I'd guess.

Good eye and conclusion I think you're right imo.

4b11slayer Sep 13, 2017 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema (Post 11771692)
This seems most logical and likely. Something that size to get to the oil pan in one piece would be almost impossible I'd guess.

Good eye and conclusion I think you're right imo.

Yea. But i would still open up filter to sleep good. Or even drop pan.

Napalm_Enema Sep 14, 2017 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by 4b11slayer (Post 11771932)
Yea. But i would still open up filter to sleep good. Or even drop pan.

Without question, I just thought it was a good theory to explain that large of a piece, in that shape.

2010evoxgsr Sep 14, 2017 08:06 AM

SOLVED: It was from my drain plug... the threads were on sort of stripped from previous owner. It was not from the engine. **Sigh** I can sleep at night :)

I got a new drain plug and we're good to go... and no the oil pan threads were not stripped thank god.

Napalm_Enema Sep 14, 2017 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by 2010evoxgsr (Post 11771979)
SOLVED: It was from my drain plug... the threads were on sort of stripped from previous owner. It was not from the engine. **Sigh** I can sleep at night :)

I got a new drain plug and we're good to go... and no the oil pan threads were not stripped thank god.

Awesome news!!!

kaj Sep 14, 2017 12:05 PM

Congrats! I was so distracted by the idiocy of one of the above posts, I didn't really look at the piece too closely. Once someone mentioned the drain plug, it was like, "ooooh, yeah". haha.

4b11slayer Sep 14, 2017 12:50 PM

Good