EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general-250/)
-   -   Transmission Fluid Change at 20k miles? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general/748038-transmission-fluid-change-20k-miles.html)

Milkshakes00 Apr 16, 2018 07:25 PM

Transmission Fluid Change at 20k miles?

Hey guys, just bought my '15 Evo GSR and was wondering if I should do this. I've heard the redline cocktail can make shifting feel a bit better? My shifting feels pretty damn notchy for twenty thousand miles. I feel like this should be pretty unnecessary for this amount of mileage.

ChipperEvo Apr 17, 2018 05:23 AM

If you have the time, why not? It never hurts anything to have fresh fluids. It's a simple drain and fill so go for it.

six40 Apr 17, 2018 08:39 AM

Yep definitely doesn't hurt at all. I run Amsoil MTG in the gearbox and love it.

CaptainCrunch Apr 17, 2018 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by six40 (Post 11816361)
Yep definitely doesn't hurt at all. I run Amsoil MTG in the gearbox and love it.

Was that a direct swap or did you need additional additives? And has it taken away all the notch especially when cold?

six40 Apr 17, 2018 12:26 PM

Direct drain and fill, nothing else. It definitely did. Most of my transmission is all original from 2008 with 155k miles on it, so it's pretty impressive stuff. Shifts good when cold, great when warmed up, and has no issues gliding into the next gear at 8000 RPM.

Milkshakes00 Apr 17, 2018 01:03 PM

Alright, then I'm definitely gonna have to hop on this. The notchiness is bothersome for a trans with 20k miles. Also seems like maybe that clutch pill I keep reading about is causing some issues for me. It's almost like I'm getting gated out of reverse until I pump the clutch once and then it's totally fine.

CaptainCrunch Apr 17, 2018 05:12 PM

The notch does not go away if you flush and go with factory oil again.

Milkshakes00 Apr 17, 2018 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch (Post 11816471)
The notch does not go away if you flush and go with factory oil again.

I realize, but if it even helps a bit, it'd be great. I watch videos of people that are shifting fairly smoothly and I definitely am not having the same experience.

CaptainCrunch Apr 17, 2018 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Milkshakes00 (Post 11816475)
I realize, but if it even helps a bit, it'd be great. I watch videos of people that are shifting fairly smoothly and I definitely am not having the same experience.

I honestly don't think it will help at all. I haven't seen any improvement in notch from changing trans oil when using factory oil.

six40 Apr 18, 2018 12:16 PM

Yeah the factory transaxle oil is garbage. It's the only drivetrain fluid I do not use OEM. Transfercase, rear diff (x2) all are using the OEM stuff. But in the gearbox, any good manual transmission GL4 will be as good if not better. Especially Amsoil, Redline, etc. I've sworn by both in Mitsubishi transmissions.

RazorLab Apr 18, 2018 03:09 PM

I recently went from OEM to Motul gear300 75w90 in the transmission at 21,000 miles and it feels MUCH better. Bonus is it's a better fluid over all for my track use.

Highly recommended. Plus the bottle design makes it cake to fill the trans. No pump needed.

six40 Apr 19, 2018 07:13 AM

I just use a funnel for the transmission and even the t-case. Although I use a pump for both rear diff fluids. And the t-case would realistically be easier with a pump too lol

LetsGetThisDone Apr 19, 2018 07:19 AM

No reason to buy the redline "cocktail". Redline makes MT85 now, which is the same as mixing the "cocktail" of MTL and MT90. I have MT90 shifts very nicely in the X trans.

For filling, I take the reverse light switch out, and fill through there, just pour it in the funnel. Have to take the little rubber breather off though so the case can breath as fluid goes in.

RazorLab Apr 19, 2018 08:07 AM

With the Motul Gear300 I used, the container has a big spout that bends, all I had to do was insert the spout into the fill hole (giggity) and turn the bottle upside down. Easiest trans fill I've ever done.

fafaforza Apr 22, 2018 08:52 PM

The service manual calls for a 15k mile interval if you drive in rough conditions. They include salty roads in that, so probably should change it out. I have 16k on my 2015 and plan on doing it soon. Will wait for the whole DiaQueen thing to be figured out.