EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general-250/)
-   -   Buying used evo x (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general/751679-buying-used-evo-x.html)

Mark0 Nov 8, 2018 12:56 AM

Buying used evo x

I have been looking for a used evo x for a while and wanted some feedback on cars with 100000ks on them already.
basically plenty of 08 and 09s for sale with those ks around 20 to 25k I am weighing up this vs spending another 5 to 10 k on a car with 40 to 60000 ks on it.

also weighing up buying a newer model with higer ks eg 2012. For say 30k

what issues do people get with stock evos over those ks it would be a daily driver for me and need it to be reliable, not sure if an evo will go strong for another 100k for example or if it needs big ticket items pretty soon over the 100k mark

any car I get will have good service books and so on and most likely stock.

prices are AUD.

thanks all

GotKT? Nov 8, 2018 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mark0 (Post 11847849)
also weighing up buying a newer model with higer ks eg 2012. For say 30k

If you are thinking Evo X MR, don't do it. Fifty-fifty chance you will end up paying 10K+ for SST maintenance.

llllBULLSEYE Nov 8, 2018 08:23 AM

Yeah I would not go for The MR if you're looking at something with high miles. If you do want the MR just get the
cheapest you can find with higher miles and use the extra money for possible tranny replacement.
When I was looking 3 months ago I only wanted GSR. Not because its manual, but mainly cause I don't have
to worry about the tranny. I ended up with an FE with 97k and so far besides needing new front brakes I
have not found a single problem.

Mark0 Nov 8, 2018 12:43 PM

That's exactly what I was after, I see stacks of posts with the sst gearbox issues which concerned me.

The engines themselves as far as I can see a reasonably good.

I am tossing up between and Evo X and S15, very hard to find a half decent S15 due to the age of them and how they have been treated, I have had a lot of Japanese cars but not had an Evo, always wanted one so it's at the top of my list they are also near on 10 years newer then an S15, I am never going to track what I buy.

Anymore feedback would be great thanks

donny_utah Nov 11, 2018 11:33 AM

Mark0, I personally wouldn't be afraid of a higher mileage(in your case KM) Evo's if they are stock or close to stock AND comes with a folder or binder full of service records. Evo's like that(stock ish with every single receipt and service record) are unicorns. Unfortunately, most Evo's gets thrashed on. Maintenance haven't been serviced like required. So I'd say take your time to find your Evo.

Issues with Evo's are improperly installed aftermarket parts. Not so good parts. Not so good tune(Cobb Accessport).

Also, about every 15K miles(forget exactly) there should be a maintenance service to replace the transmission fluid, transfer case fluid and differential fluid. Some Evo's go long without this service. Some Evo's haven't got that done at all.

Basically, look for clean and stock or as close to stock as possible.