EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X General (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general-250/)
-   -   Putting away car for winter... Tire ramps? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-general/752161-putting-away-car-winter-tire-ramps.html)

carblogger Dec 6, 2018 06:19 PM

Putting away car for winter... Tire ramps?

Well it's winter here in NY and it's getting to the point where I'm putting my car away for the winter.

So, I usually winterize my car by throwing in some fuel stabilizer to a full tank and by plugging my car into a battery tender.

I was thinking of adding tire ramps this year. What do you think of these Bunkerwall Tire Ramps?

Does anyone use ramps? Or are they a waste? My mindset was that for $60, I would get some piece of mind that my tires won't go flat during the 5 or so months my car is out of commission - especially since I have to garage it in a facility that I cannot access until springtime.

LetsGetThisDone Dec 7, 2018 07:29 PM

Pump the tires up to max pressure on the sidewall and they'll be fine. Radial tires don't flat spot in just a few months.

MinusPrevious Dec 7, 2018 08:06 PM

Lots of opinions on this topic if check on YT.

Most do say that flat spotting is a non issue. Some put the car on jack stands to
relieve the suspension / tire loads

Some cap off exhaust pipes to prevent rodents

We certainly have enough cold weather guys, on the boards, that can give you advice

Napalm_Enema Dec 7, 2018 09:51 PM

Jack stands if anything, ramps is the same as leaving it on the ground.

Prime12 Dec 10, 2018 11:56 AM

I have stored my X every winter since 2014. I have always parked the car using 'normal' street pressures and never experienced any flat spotting.

Car is parked in a non-climate controlled garage (though I don't think I've ever seen below freezing temp in there), on a concrete floor.

LetsGetThisDone Dec 11, 2018 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Prime12 (Post 11852267)
I have stored my X every winter since 2014. I have always parked the car using 'normal' street pressures and never experienced any flat spotting.

Car is parked in a non-climate controlled garage (though I don't think I've ever seen below freezing temp in there), on a concrete floor.

I agree with this, but since the op seems concerned, pumping the tires up does reduce the potential for flat spots developing. Every tire is different but radials don't generally do it. If they do, it typically goes away after some driving.

1012Xmr Dec 18, 2018 05:18 AM

I've used race ramps flat stoppers for the past few years and zero issues the car is normally away from november-march

Robert Wesker Dec 30, 2018 12:18 PM

I never understood this... it's a AWD car designed for such.. why is it put up for the winter as if it's a RWD car? Do they suck in winter time, or is this were the wrx is better?

MinusPrevious Dec 30, 2018 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Wesker (Post 11854476)
I never understood this... it's a AWD car designed for such.. why is it put up for the winter as if it's a RWD car? Do they suck in winter time, or is this were the wrx is better?

The concerns i would have, for those that live in the snow environment, are the following:
  • Sodium chloride
  • Magnesuium chloride
  • Calcium chloride
These de-icers will tear-up auto sheet metal, alum & electrical components :crap:

talentsearch301 Jan 2, 2019 04:50 PM

I’ve used race ramps to store for over 6 months...my tires stuck to the ramps and trying to separate the ramps were damaged.
plus Race ramps state not to store on for long periods