Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Evo X Boost Gauge Install ,No splicing, No firewall drilling,Pics+Vid= Clean As Hell

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2008, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^Should have just stuck with the original directions, this took me maybe 2 hours to complete with 30 minutes of that staring at my engine bay figuring out where to mount the Defi Boost Sensor. I have never installed any gauge up till that point.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Great method. I used your write up to install my gauge this weekend. Smooth as silk.

Now if someone will just bring out a decent gauge pod...
Old Nov 25, 2008, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nine
Theres no hole behind the stearing wheel well, just a solid metal sheet with the stearing pole pointing downward into the bottom of the drivetrain. I had to buy extra long tubeing and wire to run this boost guage. I remeber on my VIII it was so easy just tap into the headlight wire and run the boost hose behind the glove box and wallah a little hole behind the intake mani. 30 mins tops, this install is takeing me weeks to do.
This is for Defi Boost Gauge standalone a boost tubing does not run from the Boost Gauge it runs from the sensor which is located in the engine bay. Dont comment bad results when your not installing the product used for this write-up.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

Heres Where I located my Sensor just used a Ziptie its red, cam light turned it orange Name:  001.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  78.8 KB
Old Nov 25, 2008, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I installed my gauge from this thread and here is the result, great thread. Any suggestions on placement? I'm not really sold on my location yet.
Name:  IMG_0209.jpg
Size:  66.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0202.jpg
Size:  69.4 KB
Name:  IMG_0206.jpg
Size:  76.2 KB
Old Nov 25, 2008, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

So far its been right side or left side steering wheel which is good for hiding wires behind steering wheel. Your spot might be a little harder to hide the wires. My other spot i might try for my next gauges is the hubby under the climate controls as the ceiling of it is flat. Just flip the mount and stick it to the ceiling of the hubby for that.
Something like this but a little cleaner looking for my next gauges. But can be used for boost gauge also.
Name:  P8100002.jpg
Size:  92.2 KB

Last edited by ZWingerRyRy; Nov 25, 2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I kinda want them to be visible from outside the car.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evofan_08
I kinda want them to be visible from outside the car.
The gauge to be visible? Well your spot works for that, but steering wheel also does just not to the point of visible in the windshield. Im just picky and visible wires would bug me I think i saw someone route the wires through the vent up there, never tried it but just a idea.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Very nice install!
Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:34 AM

ZWingerRyRy,

Thanks for the great write-up. I followed your step-by-step instructions and everything worked out great. Thanks for taking the time to share your findings with everyone in the Evo X community.

here is my Defi Boost Gauge installed:

Old Jan 15, 2009, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Great write up, I will be doing this shortly. I can't believe they didn't put a stock boost guage in.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 04:43 PM

Another satisfied customer here I thought about making another thread and just referencing this one, but I thought everyone would be better served with additional information in this one...hope you don't mind.

I used this install for my prosport boost gauge and it worked out well. A little "heads up" for anyone installing a prosport gauge using this guide...you will have to splice some wire into the harness for it to be long enough. No big deal though. I soldered the power connections and covered them with heat shrink tube, but I just twisted the sensor connectors together then covered with heat shrink.

For prosport gauges the orange wire hooked into an ignition only fuse (I used the cig lighter) will make the gauge light up red. The white wire will make it white. If you want it white during the day and red at night, tap the white wire to the cig lighter and the orange wire to the headlight wire in the steering wheel column harness. I didn't do this myself...the "white" has too much of a blue tint to it so I went with constant red. Tap the red wire into the door lock fuse and the black to the bolt by the interior fuse box. I used bussman add-a-fuse links.

Also, since I haven't been able to find an upper column cover with a built-in gauge pod for the Evo X, I decided to make one myself. I used a dremmel, some epoxie sculpt (two part epoxy), sandpaper and some Duplicolor bumper paint. Pics below.

Once again, thanks for the great install write up. This is definitely the cleanest way to install your gauges.

Evo X Boost Gauge Install ,No splicing, No firewall drilling,Pics+Vid= Clean As Hell-gauge.jpg

Evo X Boost Gauge Install ,No splicing, No firewall drilling,Pics+Vid= Clean As Hell-gauge_night.jpg

Evo X Boost Gauge Install ,No splicing, No firewall drilling,Pics+Vid= Clean As Hell-gauge_wiring.jpg
Old Jan 17, 2009, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

kingu, what vacuum line did you tap for the guage? I just ordered the prosport boost guage as well.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by boostin20
kingu, what vacuum line did you tap for the guage? I just ordered the prosport boost guage as well.
I put the tee in the same spot as the original poster. I would make a run to the parts store and get some better hose though, the hose that comes with the prosport gauge is kind of crappy.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kingu
I put the tee in the same spot as the original poster. I would make a run to the parts store and get some better hose though, the hose that comes with the prosport gauge is kind of crappy.
Yeah, I don't like that clear hose either. I was a little confused before because from the pic it looked like the original poster was saying to attach it at the coolant plug on the head. I opened the hood and decided I am teeing into the bov hose.

Quick Reply: Evo X Boost Gauge Install ,No splicing, No firewall drilling,Pics+Vid= Clean As Hell