Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Transfer case drain plug size

Old Aug 22, 2009, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transfer case drain plug size

i was following the transfer case oil change instructions in the service bulletin russell posted. when i got to the drain plug, i noticed the size is bigger than any sockets i have available. what's the size of that drain plug so i can purchase the right one instead of shooting in the dark?
Old Aug 23, 2009, 03:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by endGameXIII
i was following the transfer case oil change instructions in the service bulletin russell posted. when i got to the drain plug, i noticed the size is bigger than any sockets i have available. what's the size of that drain plug so i can purchase the right one instead of shooting in the dark?
I THINK its 22mm which is the same as the Transmission Drain plug.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Talon_66
I THINK its 22mm which is the same as the Transmission Drain plug.
It's actually 24 mm, not 22 mm. The transmission and transfer case drain plugs are both 24 mm (just did it recently). Luckily, that was the largest socket size I had.

BTW, if you want to do the rear diff fluids, the drain plugs are actually a 10 mm hex (or allen key style), which most people probably don't have. I had to run to the auto store to get one.

Last edited by LaXGSR; Aug 23, 2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LaXGSR
It's actually 24 mm, not 22 mm. The transmission and transfer case drain plugs are both 24 mm (just did it recently). Luckily, that was the largest socket size I had.

BTW, if you want to do the rear diff fluids, the drain plugs are actually a 10 mm hex (or allen key style), which most people probably don't have. I had to run to the auto store to get one.
ah crap and i just bought a 22mm socket...

and i just loaded my car on to a ramp

now i gotta go back and get another one
Old Aug 23, 2009, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

24mm is correct for the transfer case, rear diff (both drain and fill back there) and tranny (but only for the 5-spd). The MR 6-spd (at least the IX) are 10mm hex for both drain and fill.

BTW - probably best to get a longer socket or extension t-case fill bolt as it is tucked up in there pretty well. Don't lose any gaskets!
Old Aug 23, 2009, 06:00 PM

Yeah sucks when u have to stop and go to the store to get the right tools. At least next time u know.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

My bad guys
Old Aug 23, 2009, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by yahu
24mm is correct for the transfer case, rear diff (both drain and fill back there) and tranny (but only for the 5-spd). The MR 6-spd (at least the IX) are 10mm hex for both drain and fill.

BTW - probably best to get a longer socket or extension t-case fill bolt as it is tucked up in there pretty well. Don't lose any gaskets!
Actually for the Evo X, the GSR 5-speed also uses 10 mm hex for the rear diff drain bolts. Transfer case and transmission are the only ones that use the 24 mm drain bolt. The fill bolts are all 17 mm (transmission, transfer case, rear diff). You will also need a 17 mm combo wrench to get off one of the rear diff fill bolts unless you have a really small socket wrench (not much room back there).
Old Aug 23, 2009, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

thanks folks - i got the 24mm deep drive socket and it worked. it was the first transfer case oil change, so it had a lot of metal adhered to the drain bolt...like it did with the gearbox fluid. i just don't get why this car loves to drop shavings in such large amounts, first i've seen it.

at any rate, i'm going to pursue the rear diff fluid another day.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LaXGSR
Actually for the Evo X, the GSR 5-speed also uses 10 mm hex for the rear diff drain bolts. Transfer case and transmission are the only ones that use the 24 mm drain bolt. The fill bolts are all 17 mm (transmission, transfer case, rear diff). You will also need a 17 mm combo wrench to get off one of the rear diff fill bolts unless you have a really small socket wrench (not much room back there).
That's a good point. The IX rear diff fill bolt (24mm for both fill and drain on the IX) doesn't give you much room to work with due to a cross brace back there. I couldn't get a torque wrench on it to tighten, but I was pretty sure what 23 ft-lb felt like after doing everything else.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 03:29 PM

Thanks for the info. 24mm socket is going into the old tool box.