Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

HOW TO: Make a distribution block for Gauge Installs/Radar Detectors/Anything else.

Old Sep 7, 2009, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have got to say, posting pics is one great way of helping us out, but telling what parts to get and where to get them, you're just awesome!
Old Sep 8, 2009, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got me hooked. Subscribed!
Old Sep 9, 2009, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Long Awaited Update is here!!!
Old Sep 10, 2009, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

what that pink wire for that's on the far left? it has no power going it to it at all. or does it?
Old Sep 10, 2009, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Djstorm100
what that pink wire for that's on the far left? it has no power going it to it at all. or does it?

The pink looking wire is the 12v switched for the AEM wideband. It's not important for the purpose of this thread.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

I did something similar, but instead of running everything off of existing fuses I ran a fuseblock directly off the battery through an inline fuse (30amp). I use a relay from the stock fuse block on the left of the driverside so that the fuseblock only has power when the ignition is turned on. My fuseblock is mounted behind the glove box on the right side of the air cleaner.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by solipsism
I did something similar, but instead of running everything off of existing fuses I ran a fuseblock directly off the battery through an inline fuse (30amp). I use a relay from the stock fuse block on the left of the driverside so that the fuseblock only has power when the ignition is turned on. My fuseblock is mounted behind the glove box on the right side of the air cleaner.
Pretty much the same thing, just ran a bit different. Both will work fine.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
Pretty much the same thing, just ran a bit different. Both will work fine.
Yeah both work. I just didnt want to fill up that existing fuseblock area with wires from 4 gauges (2 now, 2 future). Kind of a personal taste, I ended up getting the idea from your thread actually.

My only problem was that I wanted the relay coming off something in the rear closer to the battery so I wasnt running power through the entire side of the car all the time. I didnt manage to find a place to tap in the back with the time allotted. I also didn't want to take apart any harnesses back there. So i ended up using a add-a-fuse for the relay from the front. Oh well. Maybe someone will inform me of a place to tap in the rear for IGN power.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

The pink looking wire is the 12v switched for the AEM wideband. It's not important for the purpose of this thread.
so you just left it like that or tied it in to the ignition wire by the key?
Old Sep 16, 2009, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

The pink wire on the left is the one I am referring to.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

yea but what I'm asking is is that wire suppose to get any type of power? because with it connected to the distribution bar like it is, it doesnt receive power correct?
Old Sep 17, 2009, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Djstorm100
yea but what I'm asking is is that wire suppose to get any type of power? because with it connected to the distribution bar like it is, it doesnt receive power correct?
It gets 12V switched 12V power. If I connected it 12V constant the gauge would be on all the time, not good.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:49 AM
hfm

The bussman fuse tap I got from Kragen is rated for 10A max and in the its manual it says to not use w/ any fuse above that. The cig/acc fuse is 15A. Will this be a problem? (or maybe your bussman taps have a higher Ampere rating?)

Last edited by hfm; Sep 29, 2009 at 12:50 AM. Reason: typo
Old Sep 29, 2009, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hfm
The bussman fuse tap I got from Kragen is rated for 10A max and in the its manual it says to not use w/ any fuse above that. The cig/acc fuse is 15A. Will this be a problem? (or maybe your bussman taps have a higher Ampere rating?)
Negative, it is the red wire coming from the fuse tap is rated at 10amp max. You need 10 amp fuses for your accessory item you are trying to more, so if it draws more than 10A you are SOL.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Negative, it is the red wire coming from the fuse tap is rated at 10amp max. You need 10 amp fuses for your accessory item you are trying to more, so if it draws more than 10A you are SOL.
I saw this as I bought my bussman but installed anyway (with a 10 AMP fuse installed). It's been running fine for my fuzz buster so far.

I guess my follow up questions to Clipse's answers are:

1. Are there accessories/gauges that draw more than 10 Amps (I'm sure you could combine multiple gauges...)

2. Where would one obtain a bussman that allows for greater than 10 Amps (maybe 15 like the socket for the cig) of vamp-age?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HOW TO: Make a distribution block for Gauge Installs/Radar Detectors/Anything else.