Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

HOW TO: Make a distribution block for Gauge Installs/Radar Detectors/Anything else.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2009, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spazo
I saw this as I bought my bussman but installed anyway (with a 10 AMP fuse installed). It's been running fine for my fuzz buster so far.

I guess my follow up questions to Clipse's answers are:

1. Are there accessories/gauges that draw more than 10 Amps (I'm sure you could combine multiple gauges...)

2. Where would one obtain a bussman that allows for greater than 10 Amps (maybe 15 like the socket for the cig) of vamp-age?
I did not see a BUSSMAN Fuse Tape that was rated for more than 10AMP. I looked through their catalog.

I still cannot see a 5 gauges hooked up to draw more than 10 amps.

I think you will be more than fine with the 10 AMP fuse taps. If you need anything more than that run a line from battery and use a large fuse inline then run it to a distribution block.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
I think you will be more than fine with the 10 AMP fuse taps. If you need anything more than that run a line from battery and use a large fuse inline then run it to a distribution block.
Good call
Old Oct 6, 2009, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
If you need anything more than that run a line from battery and use a large fuse inline then run it to a distribution block.
Why use a large fuse inline when you can add your own fuse block like this:

^currently working on putting this in... you can use ATO fuses ranging from 5A to 40A with this.

Btw, I may be wrong, but I don't think you have the right idea with the dimmer. The dimmer wire is supposed to tap into a headlight signal so that when the headlights turn on, the gauge dims. This would make for a dim gauge at night when you don't need it very bright at all and bright gauge during the day when it would be harder to see.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

with this setup how many gauges could you run???
Old Nov 3, 2009, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, any opinions on using the same distribution block setup for grounds. One for power still, and a separate block for the grounds. I know most gauges are specific in the way they should be grounded. i.e everything grounded to a common lug, but not twisted first. Between 3 gauges and a wideband controller there are a lot of grounds to run. A grounding block will save me a lot of time, but i don't want to create any signal noise from grounding everything through the block. Any feedback would be great.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 06:50 AM

Hey Clipse,

Could you PM me with what Gauge Pod that is?
Old Nov 5, 2009, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Blayze999
Hey Clipse,

Could you PM me with what Gauge Pod that is?
Same here. I'm only getting A/F and boost gauges and that's a reallly sweet spot to put them in.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

It cost me 18 bucks...

Summit Racing SUM-G2878
Old Nov 5, 2009, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by yodaman
So, any opinions on using the same distribution block setup for grounds. One for power still, and a separate block for the grounds. I know most gauges are specific in the way they should be grounded. i.e everything grounded to a common lug, but not twisted first. Between 3 gauges and a wideband controller there are a lot of grounds to run. A grounding block will save me a lot of time, but i don't want to create any signal noise from grounding everything through the block. Any feedback would be great.
I have no issues running three things into that common ground. Everything works normally. The key is to run smaller AWG or thicker wires to the main terminals. Running skinny wires might now work as well.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

i took some of the ideas here and am in the process of routing from battery -> inline fuse -> relay -> d-block -> my gauges/radar.

I originally had 4 gauges/radar tapped into the cig lighter and i had some electrical issue, So now i'm going to power it straight from the battery.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by linjy2
i took some of the ideas here and am in the process of routing from battery -> inline fuse -> relay -> d-block -> my gauges/radar.

I originally had 4 gauges/radar tapped into the cig lighter and i had some electrical issue, So now i'm going to power it straight from the battery.
Cool post up some pics whenever you get done
Old Nov 5, 2009, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Gauges produce hardly any noise. widebands/computers/EBC do however and need to be on different post vs "clean" grounds.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Djstorm100
Gauges produce hardly any noise. widebands/computers/EBC do however and need to be on different post vs "clean" grounds.
explain more.. so does this mean i shouldnt ground all to one bolt? find 4 different bolts if i have 4 different electronic?
Old Nov 18, 2009, 10:53 AM

This is way helpful thanks!
Old Nov 20, 2009, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by linjy2
explain more.. so does this mean i shouldnt ground all to one bolt? find 4 different bolts if i have 4 different electronic?
some electronics make alot of feedback/ noise. The battery is a gaint filter. if you combine a noisey ground with a clean ground it can make the device(s) not give correct information. Example would be your wide-band produce noises and putting it with a clean ground can make it not read right. Its hard to make sense of it I know

I have a mustang that I've been building for 2 years, its my drag car. I completely rewired it. My gauges are wired in parallel (power and ground) My wideband has its own ground, so does my boost controller.

so basically I have three diferent grounding locations. I have muplite junction studs/blocks in the car for power and grounds.

Of course this is very very unlikely that you will experince any of this.. just remember to scrape away paint and make sure its bar metal for the ground.

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Make a distribution block for Gauge Installs/Radar Detectors/Anything else.