Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How hard to install a regular downpipe ( No O2 housing)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2009, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How hard to install a regular downpipe ( No O2 housing)

I read some threads about installing the O2 housing downpipe such as AMS, but I don't see any "how-to " for installing the normal one. Is it hard? and what tools do I need? Thanks~
Old Sep 12, 2009, 04:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty simple if you've ever done exhaust before. Get the car up on stands, crawl under there and look. You'll want to disconnect the cat from the rest of the exhaust first, and then pull out the O2 sensors and set them aside so you don't break them or stress the wires by moving the exhaust around. You'll need an air impact gun and about 2 feet worth of extensions and a couple wobbly adapters in order to get to the bolts you need. The bolts are about half way up the firewall and they're hard to get to. I also had to remove the crossmember that goes under the downpipe. It's not a big deal and takes like 2 seconds with an impact, but it's about 30-40 lbs so make sure you have the car high enough to get under it and move it out of your way (and can hold it up with your chest or something when it's time to put it back).

Without any how-to I did the full Perrin downpipe and exhaust in about an hour. It wasn't really hard at all. If you're even the least bit mechanically inclined you should be able to pull it off pretty easily. Things start to get pretty self explanatory once you're under there.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 04:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
make sure you have good jack srands before you start tugging and pulling hard on stuff. you would want the car to collapse to the ground while your under it! be careful and use lots of safety.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by i64X
Pretty simple if you've ever done exhaust before. Get the car up on stands, crawl under there and look. You'll want to disconnect the cat from the rest of the exhaust first, and then pull out the O2 sensors and set them aside so you don't break them or stress the wires by moving the exhaust around. You'll need an air impact gun and about 2 feet worth of extensions and a couple wobbly adapters in order to get to the bolts you need. The bolts are about half way up the firewall and they're hard to get to. I also had to remove the crossmember that goes under the downpipe. It's not a big deal and takes like 2 seconds with an impact, but it's about 30-40 lbs so make sure you have the car high enough to get under it and move it out of your way (and can hold it up with your chest or something when it's time to put it back).

Without any how-to I did the full Perrin downpipe and exhaust in about an hour. It wasn't really hard at all. If you're even the least bit mechanically inclined you should be able to pull it off pretty easily. Things start to get pretty self explanatory once you're under there.

I want to buy an air impact wrench too. Do you know how much CFM does your impact consume at 90 psi? Thanks
Old Sep 13, 2009, 02:31 AM
Evolving Member

***delete***

Last edited by sne2040; Jan 21, 2010 at 02:23 PM.