Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Ulitmate DIY Transfer case, TC-SST Transmission and Rear Differential fuild change.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I ordered a Drivetrain fluids package from MAP, which made tracking down and choosing which fluids to use very easy. Remember to torque all your bolts to 24 FT/LBs +/- 1. You may want to use some anti-seize on the threads of the bolts. I noticed that a portion of the threads on my bolt holes were coated with some anti-seize from the factory. My recommendation is to buy at least 2 fluid transfer pumps, which you can get at Advance Auto or Auto Zone and so on. Advance Auto had all the tools I needed and the pumps in stock, so that helped a lot. The reason for two pumps is because trying to clean out the LSD gear oil from the pump to avoid contamination of the Transmission fluids is a pain in the ***. Easier to just have a separate one, unless you don't care about having a small amount of LSD fluid in your transmission.
My personal opinion on what frequency to do these fluid changes is now 5K miles for people who track their car, 10K miles for people who drive aggressively regularly and 15K for people who only drive aggressively occasionally. I did my first change at 18K and the fluids were far worse than I thought they would have been. A high degree of contamination. I work in a machine shop, so I see first hand every day the condition of the components that make it into our transmissions and engines. There are a lot of burrs, metal shavings and just bits of material left on or stuck to parts that get missed and installed into all new cars, regardless of make. So it's a really good idea to change your fluids early.

https://www.maperformance.com/produc...-x-evox-fl-pkg

Transfer Case Fill Bolt on the Left of this Pic, Labeled Oil, 17mm, 1 QT Mitsubishi DiaQueen GL5 LSD Gear Oil

Drain Bolt of Transfer Case, 24mm

GSR 5 Speed Transmission Fill Bolt, Labled Oil, 17mm, I used the Redline Cocktail for fluid. 2 QT Redline MTL and 1 QT Redline MT 90. It works really well. Transmission feels much smoother

GSR 5 Speed Transmission Drain Bolt, 24mm

Front Half (Facing toward the front of the car) of the Rear Diff, Fill Bolt, Labeled Oil, 17mm, 1 QT DiaQueen GL5 LSD Gear Oil

Drain Bolt for front half of Rear Diff, 10mm Hex/Allen Head

Drain Bolt for Rear half AKA Torque Transfer Mechanism of Rear Diff, Labeled Oil, 17mm, 1 QT Mitsubishi ATF SP III

Drain Bolt of rear half AKA Torque Transfer Mechanism of Rear Diff, 10mm Hex/Allen Head
Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by RATEDX
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF YOU HAVE TO BLEED THE SYSTEM AFTER CHANGING THE TORQUE TRANSFER MECHANISM FLUID (ATF SP II) I CANT GET A STRAIGHT ANSWER ANYWHERE
You don't have to, it's just drain and fill.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 06:02 PM

I changed my fluids again today after 8K miles. The fluids still looked really good, didn't smell or appear burnt. The magnetic drain plugs did have some material on them, but not a shocking amount like from the first fluid change. More than I would have liked to see after only 8K miles. So I'm glad I changed the fluid, but I would have been fine for 10K miles. I drive my car pretty hard on a regular basis, but I don't track it.
I do want to say though, after running the Redline cocktail, I DO NOT recommend it. It ran good for awhile but my transmission just didn't feel right after awhile and I'm pretty sure it was causing it to run hotter than normal. The Mitsubishi MTF 75w-80 is the way to go.
I also want to add that I have a Greddy magnetic drain plug for my oil pan and there are some components in our engine that the magnet can catch, so its not a bad idea. I usually find a small amount each oil change. The magnet is crazy strong though and can make pulling it out or inserting the drain plug a bit of a pain in the ***, as it wants to grab the steel oil pan. Or maybe it's just crud from the oil filter, either way, it's getting stuck to the magnet and not floating in my oil.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 03:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cerealkeller
I changed my fluids again today after 8K miles. The fluids still looked really good, didn't smell or appear burnt. The magnetic drain plugs did have some material on them, but not a shocking amount like from the first fluid change. More than I would have liked to see after only 8K miles. So I'm glad I changed the fluid, but I would have been fine for 10K miles. I drive my car pretty hard on a regular basis, but I don't track it.
I do want to say though, after running the Redline cocktail, I DO NOT recommend it. It ran good for awhile but my transmission just didn't feel right after awhile and I'm pretty sure it was causing it to run hotter than normal. The Mitsubishi MTF 75w-80 is the way to go.
I also want to add that I have a Greddy magnetic drain plug for my oil pan and there are some components in our engine that the magnet can catch, so its not a bad idea. I usually find a small amount each oil change. The magnet is crazy strong though and can make pulling it out or inserting the drain plug a bit of a pain in the ***, as it wants to grab the steel oil pan. Or maybe it's just crud from the oil filter, either way, it's getting stuck to the magnet and not floating in my oil.
Are you saying that you replaced your manual transmission fluid after 8k miles??? That's massive overkill unless you're legitimately tracking your car. I've got the Redline Cocktail and am very pleased with it. Did you use a temp gauge to measure the heat of the transmission fluid, or are you guessing?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 06:08 AM

I agree, it wasn't needed. I didn't gauge the temp, it just didn't sound right once it had been running long enough to start getting hot and I didn't like the feel of the Redline, which became apparent after a couple months. Never had those issues with OEM fluid. I'll post back once I put some miles on it with OEM and give my opinion. This is just my personal opinion, maybe the Redline will provide a feel that other people might like.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 05:29 AM

I forgot until today, because it was cold out when I left work. The main problem I had with Redline was it got really thick in the cold weather and made shifting difficult until everything warmed up. That's my primary complaint against it. The Diaqueen MTF feels much better to me in cold and warmer weather. The humming sound I heard when the tranny was running warm is gone now.