Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How To Install - Whiteline Front Roll Center Kit by RallySport Direct

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2013, 05:38 PM
Silver Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How To Install - Whiteline Front Roll Center Kit by RallySport Direct

Our La Flama Blanca shop Evo X has been taking a lot of trips to the autocross events here in Salt Lake. Recently we have been looking into improving its handling abilities by upgrading some of the suspension parts. We did a lot of research and testing and decided to go with a plethora of Whiteline parts. In the next few how to write-ups for you guys, we will be installing all of these great products!

In this how-to, we will be installing the Whiteline front roll center kit. I had done this once before on a 2013 Subaru BRZ so I was somewhat prepared for what to expect.
This install is pretty easy, and straight forward, it does take a special tool, a ball joint press kit.

Getting started, the first thing we needed to do was collect the necessary tools to perform this task. So, let’s get a list of tools you will need.

1) Ratchet
2) Sockets: 14mm, 17mm, 19mm
3) Wrenches 14mm, 17mm, 19mm
4) Jack, or car lift
5) Jack stands (if on the floor)

Here’s a picture of all of the items we are going to be installing in these how-tos. LOTS of Whiteline goodies!

Now, we have all of our tools, should we get started on this fun filled project? I think so. We will need to remove the parts outlined in the image below; the front section can be left on the car for this install. You won’t have to remove the entire under tray, just these parts to gain access to the bolts and nuts.

There are a few 10mm bolts holding these but mostly there are plastic clips that require either a flat tip screwdriver like the one pictured below, or a Phillips screwdriver that you just back out a half turn.

Here’s a shot of what comes in the kit when you pull it out of the package:

Now we can get to the bolts that hold the lower control arm in place. You will have one in the rear position it bolts straight up into the chassis and it’s a 19mm there is a nut on the other end of it and you’ll have to put a 19mm wrench on there to keep it from spinning. You can take it all the way out.

Next there is one in the front of the car, It’s also a 19 mm and you’ll have to pull the plastic cover out of the way to gain access to it. Simple enough, once you get to it, just zip it out and take it out of the car.

Take the bolt/nut out of the spindle to lower control arm. It’s a 17mm bolt with a nut on the back side, get your wrench on the back side before you loosen it. Then just pull it right out.

Take the bolt out of the end link and the LCA should be ready to pull out. You might have to wiggle it back and forth just a little bit, but it should pull out with little effort.

Since we have the LCA out, we can quickly throw the tie rod end on. As you loosen the lock nut on the factory tie rod end make sure you mark where the factory tie rod end was threaded to.

Thread the stock one off, then, thread the new Whiteline tie rod end in its place and tighten the lock nut down and push it up through the spindle and throw the nut on.

To get the stock ball joints out, you will have to press them out, either with a hydraulic press, or with a kit like we bought from AutoZone, here’s a picture with the part number of the kit we bought. This kit was 100 bucks, it might not have a ton of options in it, but it worked perfectly for this install.

First thing we did was get the stock black dust cover off of the ball joint. It was easy enough, all you have to do is get a flat tip screwdriver under the lip and pry it up and then pull it off. Careful there is a LOT of grease under there (thankfully) Once you get the cover off, you will want to clean the grease up and get access to the flat snap ring that holds the ball joint in place. These things are a little tricky to pull off. The best way I found to get it off was to take some snap ring pliers to spread them open just a little bit, and then slide a flat tip screwdriver under there to pry it off. Be patient it will come off. Don’t worry about destroying it; you’re replacing the whole thing anyway.

Here’s the tool we used to press the stock one out. It came out relatively easily, after it broke the initial hold on the ball joint, it came right out.

When pressing in the new Whiteline ball joint, you want to make sure it’s fully seated in the sleeve. It has to go in there quite a ways, you can see in this picture how far it has to go in. if you don’t get it fully seated, you will never get the snap ring on.

Once you get it fully seated, you have to put the dust cover on. Easiest way we found to get it on all the way was to take the #3 press tool and tap it on with a hammer, make sure you get it fully seated.

Now we can reinstall the arm. Word of caution; make sure you get the cut out on the stud lined up with the hole so you don’t destroy your bolt as you slide it in.

Push the arm up and slide the stud back in place and throw your bolt through (it should slide in easily) Then thread your nut on and tighten it down.

Put your end link back on and thread the nut on and tighten it down.

That’s it! Here’s a shot of the tie rod end with the ball joint in the background, looks good!

This install didn’t take that long at all. Here’s a little blurb about the kit “Roll Center Kit incorporates 2 steering arm tie rod ends and 2 ball joints and is designed to raise front roll-center geometry after lowering the vehicle and also improve on the original bump-steer geometry. Changing front suspension geometry by raising roll-center, results in substantial increase to roll resistance and significant reduction of suspension compression of outside front wheel during cornering through improved weight transfer distribution. Whilst bump steer correction via extended tie rods aids in minimizing steering angle input during suspension articulation. “

Thanks for reading this write up we hope it helps assist you in the installation of your own roll center kit!

-Corby
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:29 PM
Silver Sponsor

A little video we did of the before and afters with the Whiteline products upgrade

-Dallin
Old Nov 15, 2013, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm surprised there are no comments on this. I'd like to hear from owners who have upgraded their ball joints. How much of a difference was there? I've upgraded front and rear sways, and have the upgraded Whiteline end links (since I snapped stock). I'm dropped 1-5/16” in the front and 1 3/8" in the back. The upgraded sways makes a big difference, but what about the ball joints?
Old Nov 15, 2013, 08:18 AM
Silver Sponsor

Originally Posted by Thycidides
I'm surprised there are no comments on this. I'd like to hear from owners who have upgraded their ball joints. How much of a difference was there? I've upgraded front and rear sways, and have the upgraded Whiteline end links (since I snapped stock). I'm dropped 1-5/16” in the front and 1 3/8" in the back. The upgraded sways makes a big difference, but what about the ball joints?
Thanks for starting the comments

What the ball joint does it help with a suspension geometry in the front of a lowered car. Improved feel of the front end and handling will be what is noticed from the current feel on a lowered car. It will help put the suspension back into is original geometry that gets thrown off when lowered.

This car felt more controllable when I took it to the last autox event than it did in the one before when it didn't have the roll center kit installed. Out car is lowered about 1.5" front and rear.

I am glade you also mentioned sway bars as they were also a big improvement for our car and handling. Upgrading the endlinks is also a must when upgrading sway bars. The stock endlinks have been know to break under the added load that a bigger and stiffer sway bar can create.

Let us know if you have any other questions

-Dallin
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Nice video! The coilovers stayed the same for the before/after comparison?
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:38 AM
Silver Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kracka
Nice video! The coilovers stayed the same for the before/after comparison?
Thank you sir

Yes no change to the coilovers or alignment what so ever. No height or dampening changes. Only Sway bars and the Front Roll Center Kit were installed and before/ after video were done in the same week. Alignment specs were still the same as well. -2 in the front and -1.2 in the rear.

-Dallin
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Very impressive, great results! I currently have the Whiteline rear swaybar and roll center kit on my car already.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:52 AM
Silver Sponsor

Very impressive, great results! I currently have the Whiteline rear swaybar and roll center kit on my car already.
Thank you! We put lots of time and effort into these and hope they are informative.

Rear sway bar helped a lot and when I took this car to the last autox event of this season locally. I noticed that the car had a bit more over steer that I liked a lot so less of that factory push/ under steer was taken away

FYI the Front Sway bar is a bit of a pain to install ,but helped make that front end stick.

-Dallin
Old Nov 16, 2013, 07:10 AM

As fun as it has been to improve the power of my car, it has been an equally if not a more rewarding experience to improve the handling. I agree the front sway is a great upgrade, and for me the end link upgrade was a must. I'm seriously thinking of these ball joints now. Thanks for the great instructions.

As for the end links, here is a weld job after snapping the right one. The second pic is with the much better upgrade.

How To Install - Whiteline Front Roll Center Kit by RallySport Direct-img_0972-3.jpg

How To Install - Whiteline Front Roll Center Kit by RallySport Direct-img_0975-3.jpg
Old Nov 16, 2013, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Is that the Cobb bar?
Old Nov 17, 2013, 08:48 PM

Is that the Cobb bar?
Yes sir, COBB parts nearly all around. Installed by COBB HQ for free (since they use my car so much).
Old Nov 17, 2013, 08:48 PM

Is that the Cobb bar?
Edit... mobile app was acting up, so double post.

Last edited by Thycidides; Nov 18, 2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 09:27 AM
Silver Sponsor

As fun as it has been to improve the power of my car, it has been an equally if not a more rewarding experience to improve the handling. I agree the front sway is a great upgrade, and for me the end link upgrade was a must. I'm seriously thinking of these ball joints now. Thanks for the great instructions.

As for the end links, here is a weld job after snapping the right one. The second pic is with the much better upgrade.
Yes I can agree on as much fun as more power is it is equally fun and reward for the car to be able to handle well

I think we do a bit at a time on both sides of it. Little power, a bit of suspension and dial it in. Then do it again, a bit more power and bit more suspension. Keep improving in steps and getting better at driving the car in these steps for the best results. Get to know the car better this way

The upgrade looks much better than what it replaced by the way

-Dallin
Old Nov 18, 2013, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by RallySport Direct
Yes I can agree on as much fun as more power is it is equally fun and reward for the car to be able to handle well

I think we do a bit at a time on both sides of it. Little power, a bit of suspension and dial it in. Then do it again, a bit more power and bit more suspension. Keep improving in steps and getting better at driving the car in these steps for the best results. Get to know the car better this way

The upgrade looks much better than what it replaced by the way

-Dallin
I've been thinking of the power side more now as well. I've got a new set of ID 1000s just gathering dust, so maybe I'll pick up a new turbo next year. On the handling side, I noticed you also sell zero offset bushings. Have you installed this on your car, and if so, what are your impressions?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 09:28 AM
Silver Sponsor

I've been thinking of the power side more now as well. I've got a new set of ID 1000s just gathering dust, so maybe I'll pick up a new turbo next year. On the handling side, I noticed you also sell zero offset bushings. Have you installed this on your car, and if so, what are your impressions?
Nice! Ya a bit more power and a diet will be the winter goals for ours

ID1000's! Collecting dust! I have been thinking about these, pump and E85 as a great upgrade, but a little bit bigger turbo... I like the sound of that as well

Yes we sell the Whiteline and Perrin Caster Adjustment bushings as well. We haven't installed them on our car so I don't have any real world feedback on them. Yet This is one of the upgrades I plan on doing in the spring after getting some more time on the track to dial in the sways bars a bit more with the coilovers. I believe this will be a good upgrade though and I look forward to seeing how they improve the car's feedback and handling once they are installed I will definitely update though

-Dallin

Quick Reply: How To Install - Whiteline Front Roll Center Kit by RallySport Direct