EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo X How Tos / Installations (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-how-tos-installations-260/)
-   -   Front seat replacement - findings (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-how-tos-installations/527098-front-seat-replacement-findings.html)

Segfault Nov 27, 2010 09:05 PM

Front seat replacement - findings

So I recently did a swap and replaced my stock X recaros with sparco Evo2 seats. No SRS or airbag stuff for 30+ miles now. On the driver's side I have sparco base, sparco slider, and the steel side mounts. Passenger side I have the sparco base and the steel mounts.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...%20X/photo.jpg

I remove all the factory stuff, so I thought I'd share some findings.

General
========
-Make sure to have plenty of nuts and bolts

-disconnect the battery from your car

-test drive after each seat is changed out

-Power tools...get em ready

Driver's Side
=========
-The base fitting is TIGHT. So it might take some pushing and shoving before you get all 4 base bolts in

-You can't mount the side brackets straight onto the base unless you have LOOOONG legs.

-The slider doesn't seem to mount up perfectly on the base to the pre-made holes. You'll need to drill two more holes to properly mount the slider. You could do four though and not use any of the factory made holes.

-You'll need to find a bolt to replace the seatbelt connector on the right side. Just take the nut off and get a grade 8 bolt from OSH or something.

-You can trick the SRS with the 2 Ohm resistor spliced into the yellow wire

Passenger's Side
============
-base didn't seem to line up on all four holes for me. I'm still working on this, but the seat is in with three bolts until I finalize an idea (no passengers allowed until I do that obviously).

-I ended up drilling some holes in the base to use the weight sensors

-To reuse the weight sensors, I placed the side mounts on top of the sensor. You'll need two bolts/nuts per a sensor. I used 1 big and 1 small bolt per a sensor to avoid drilling to widen the side mount holes. I then put the bottom of the weight sensors into the base.

-2ohm resistor to trick the side airbag SRS sytem worked fine

-You'll need to replace the connector side of the stock seatbelt bolt with a new one...and it'll need to be short. I ended up cutting off some of my 1.25" bolt. You can use the stock one, but it's prone to stripping with the crappy, small torx head.

-The other side of the belt will now mount to back right part where the base connects to. There's no other hole to really use unless you plan on drilling through the side mount or something.

HR2L Nov 27, 2010 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Segfault (Post 8869949)
So I recently did a swap and replaced my stock X recaros with sparco Evo2 seats. No SRS or airbag stuff for 30+ miles now. On the driver's side I have sparco base, sparco slider, and the steel side mounts. Passenger side I have the sparco base and the steel mounts.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...%20X/photo.jpg

I remove all the factory stuff, so I thought I'd share some findings.

General
========
-Make sure to have plenty of nuts and bolts

-disconnect the battery from your car

-test drive after each seat is changed out

-Power tools...get em ready

Driver's Side
=========
-The base fitting is TIGHT. So it might take some pushing and shoving before you get all 4 base bolts in

-You can't mount the side brackets straight onto the base unless you have LOOOONG legs.

-The slider doesn't seem to mount up perfectly on the base to the pre-made holes. You'll need to drill two more holes to properly mount the slider. You could do four though and not use any of the factory made holes.

-You'll need to find a bolt to replace the seatbelt connector on the right side. Just take the nut off and get a grade 8 bolt from OSH or something.

-You can trick the SRS with the 2 Ohm resistor spliced into the yellow wire

Passenger's Side
============
-base didn't seem to line up on all four holes for me. I'm still working on this, but the seat is in with three bolts until I finalize an idea (no passengers allowed until I do that obviously).

-I ended up drilling some holes in the base to use the weight sensors

-To reuse the weight sensors, I placed the side mounts on top of the sensor. You'll need two bolts/nuts per a sensor. I used 1 big and 1 small bolt per a sensor to avoid drilling to widen the side mount holes. I then put the bottom of the weight sensors into the base.

-2ohm resistor to trick the side airbag SRS sytem worked fine

-You'll need to replace the connector side of the stock seatbelt bolt with a new one...and it'll need to be short. I ended up cutting off some of my 1.25" bolt. You can use the stock one, but it's prone to stripping with the crappy, small torx head.

-The other side of the belt will now mount to back right part where the base connects to. There's no other hole to really use unless you plan on drilling through the side mount or something.

Excellent write up/info Issac! How do they feel? You take her out for a wet run yet to see how well they hold you in place? Hey next time you come by the shop bring the X by, want to sit in your seat to see if I should do Evo 2's or 3's. {thumbup}

Segfault Nov 28, 2010 12:18 AM

haha sure. They feel much better than the stocks of course and definitely keep you in place. I don't think I'll like any long driving though.

jackygor Nov 29, 2010 01:14 AM

How exactly do you wire the resistor into the airbag plug. The airbag sensor plug is the yellow colored one, correct?

supergengo Nov 29, 2010 04:05 PM

If you happen to know (or can measure) how heavy are the stock seats?

tjac357 Nov 29, 2010 06:44 PM

{thumbup} great write up! i put brides in a few months ago and would also like more info on ohming the yellow wire

Segfault Nov 29, 2010 11:14 PM

You just put the 2 ohm in serial. So on the unplugged yellow wire on the ground, you just put it so it creates a circuit between the two wires.

oreoevo Dec 19, 2010 05:16 PM

Nice! That airbag light is annoying!!!

Segfault Oct 25, 2011 10:05 PM

really old bump, but have been asked a few times about how I connected the resistor. Finally took a pic :-p

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...20X/photo1.jpg

JoeA Oct 26, 2011 11:47 PM

Great write up, do you think there is enough room for the Evo3 based on your Evo2 figment. I'm a bigger guy and need a bit bigger seat then the Evo2.

Segfault Oct 27, 2011 03:12 PM

Honestly, Evo3 probably won't fit. The seatbelt connector is already very close to the center console. I'll check where the bolt is to see how close I am because if you just commit to harness and ditch the stock seatbelt, there might be room.

JoeA Oct 28, 2011 01:34 PM

Thanks, looks like Evo3 is a little over an inch wider then the Evo2.

Segfault Oct 29, 2011 04:48 PM

Yeah, don't think the evo3 will fit. If it does, it will be a very close fit.

JoeA Oct 31, 2011 11:27 PM

Well that sucks, time for more treadmill:lol:

evo11mr Nov 15, 2011 03:03 PM

I don't know why everyone is quick to change the seats, I mean great write up an all, but the stock seats are awesome, and i'm 6' - 4" 250lbs. i fit perfectly and love my seats.