Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Quad Bi-Xenon HID Headlights - Evo X non HID

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, first things first.... Ive updated the dimensions in post# 14 seeing as I had the chance to re-measure of the weekend....

S2K projector in ADM MR housing (Same as JDM & USDM SSS housing):

Back ground info:
ADM housing has been trimmed 10mm specifically for an FX-R projector (refer How to fit FX-R into SSS HL for 10mm dimension):

FX-R inplace

The metal tab at the top of the projector is a perfect fit within the ADM housing. It pretty much locks the projector inplace for a correctly aligned beam pattern. Its just pure coincidence that this occurs. There is a tiny bit off movement but its actually a good fit in there..

S2K inplace:
There is considerably more movement than an FX-R. You would need to make sure the projector was rotationally aligned before permanently mounting.

It may not be obvious from this pic but the projector need to be positioned closer to the top left hand corner to be centrally aligned with the chrome OEM shroud. FX-R in this instance is pretty much spot on

This pic shows the S2K projector being reccessed too far in. As stated before, the ADM housing was trimmed to 10mm to accomodate an FX-R.. I estimate a measurement of about "20mm" +/- for a S2K projector and it should sit alot more flush with the OEM shroud.

Diameter of OEM SSS shroud = 93.7mm:

Close up:

Diameter of E46-R (normal) from groove to groove = 96mm:

This is where you need to dremel upto if you want to see the full length of the grooves... Im not prepared to do this:

This pic shows the template I stick to the housing so I know how much to dremel away when fitting a:
* 3" OEM E46 shroud,
* 3" E46-R shroud (Normal & Extended)

Housing dremeled:

3" OEM E46 shroud in place. The full length of the grooves do not show through coz I am not prepared to dremel anymore of the JDM/SSS shroud:

From behind you can see how much of the grooves that will not be visible from the front:

The 3" OEM E46 shroud actually sticks out alittle further than the OEM JDM/SSS shroud, making the position of the S2K projector alittle more out of place:

I estimate a measurement of about 25mm +/- to make the S2K sit flush with the 3" OEM E46 opening. Previously it was 20mm +/- to sit flush with the OEM JDM/SSS shroud (menetioned ^^):

There you go FlyRyde.... Hope this gives you alittle more insight into retrofitting S2Ks in a SSS housing....

GL and keep us posted...

Last edited by iEvoVII; Oct 24, 2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: added pic
Old Nov 2, 2011, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
still looking for a trade? pm me, I'm in orange county and have a few questions for you.

thx
Old Nov 8, 2011, 09:54 AM

Man I've had a busy couple of weeks. I REALLY want to get these done this week, so by all means, if you're at all interested, give me a call at 909 684 5044 so we can do a swap

Meanwhile Stevo, MAN, you're a God send!!! These pics and effort you've helped with are so appreciated I can't begin to thank you enough. I'll post up the custom rears that I made for another set of lights recently. If you dont mind giving me your thoughts on how they should help with these. I think they can give at least another 2 inches or so of clearance in the back, or bigger if I change the design to be more aggressive.

From what it looks like though, the only real problems with mounting the S2K, are that 1) people dont like hacking up stock parts "hoping" that what they try to setup will work, and 2) that there are no convenient ways to mount the S2K, as with the FX-R. I believe the custom brackets I'm having laser cut will solve that problem for the S2K projectors for any project, since they'll have multiple points to bend into place. The design allows to make finite adjustments to the Top Left, Top Right, Bottom Left, and Bottom Right, of the projector to get it aimed just right.

I'll post pics of all my progress this week!
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ Look forward to pix....... Bout time I got some help from other members on methods / solutions to retrofitting :P

Extra 2 inches of clearance:
Was this done on a SSS or non-SSS set???
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:24 AM

It was a different platform. I can't really say what, which sounds stupid I know, but the problem with these lights is that just the HID bulb itself stuff out past the point of the locking cap in the back. So I came up with a method of modding the cap itself to have a vacuum formed bubble to get a good, clean looking fix. I'll edit and post in a sec...

I vacuum a sheet over 4 projector lens/fronts from the stock Genesis Coupe since i do a ton of retros for them and have a pile of stock parts.

Cut into 4 sections

Drill out the bubble

Drill out the inside where the HID bulb grommet sits

Then I just cut out a hole in the cap, smaller than the OD of my bubbles, and silicone them together. After they're dry, the grommet is pushed through, and the cap is twisted back on.

Last edited by FlyRyde; Nov 8, 2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

danm! really nice work!
can u retro fit my foglights ? i have tsx housing
if u do how much will u charge me ? pls pm me back thx!