Notices
Evo X Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Quad Bi-Xenon HID Headlights - Evo X non HID

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quad Bi-Xenon HID Headlights - Evo X non HID

Here's a set of lights I just built. I'm looking to find somebody to trade these with to start on a set of SSS lights to get a similar look, but this time using S2K projectors for the low beam side, and the Mini Morimoto H1s again on the high beam side. Anyone know who might want these in trade for their stocks and some cash for the parts inside?

Otherwise, just let me know what you think of the dual E46 Shrouds for the MH1 Projectors. I didn't paint them yet, just sprayed the chrome parts with plasti dip to give the effect of black without actually having done the sanding and finishing of a nice satin or gloss finish. The high beam side has a mix between an E46 shroud and a big plumbing tube that seems to fit the housing well. I just need to finish trimming the E46 shroud to be perfectly seated on the tube and sealed, but I wanted to wait to see if I'd be color matching to the OEM 2 stage paint of the car, or sticking with an all black theme. For sure those orange reflectors are outta here! These put out INSANE light, I'll post some of the tests I did with the output shots:

Looking for Socal Peeps to trade, call me 909 684 5044, I really need a stock set of lights with the stock projector. Thanks!

Output of just one Dual Projector Headlight (same projectors, but in a Genesis Coupe Housing):

One Projector

Both Projectors

One High Beam

Both High Beams

One Projector

Both Projectors

Both High Beams

Look at all the hotness! SICK blue cut off line shots:

Last edited by FlyRyde; Oct 15, 2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:16 AM
Evolved Member

These look awesome? Why don't you use them?
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how much cash do u want?? i got a non-sss headlight..
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:13 AM

Thanks for the compliments. I think they're bad ***, but until they're on a car they're just big paper weights to me. I have a guy that wants me to get him the SSS lights, and all I could find were halogens, so this was the result. I've been crazy busy, otherwise I'd have just flagged down some random Evo at a gas station and handled this already. I figured it was worth sharing while I still have them.

I'm kinda worried that the SSS lights will prove more challenging to mount the high beam projector and keep it functional like these. Honestly, I'd love to see these in the OEM white paint. There's some much going on with the shrouds, but with it being all black it doesn't quite do it justice. Chrome looks terrible in there, but I'm sure any color paint matched on even a stock EvoX would look beautiful.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:53 AM

Just to put a number to the cost of parts, the projectors run 120 a pair from TRS, but I'd take 200 for the four of them, and for the 2 HID kits (bulbs/ballasts) I'd take 80 for them. So total cost of parts, plus trading stock SSS headlights would be 280 bucks with a Satin Black Finish. Like I said, I can paint them any stock color as well, but really I just need to get those SSS lights with the quickness!
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

^^ well yes be worried coz you will have a challenge retrofitting a MH1 into the DRL housing of a SSS HL.. You need to find the right shroud to make it work.
* OEM E46,
* E46-R (normal) &
* E46-R (extended)
Are NOT the right shrouds to use if you want to make a MH1 functional. You need a shroud with more depth so the projector can be positioned closer to the lens and therefore give you more room at the back. Perhaps a Gatlng Gun shroud???

FYI, the SSS DRL housing does not face forward like the high beam housing in a non-SSS HL. see for yourself:

It was all very well to use that pipe and bring the projector forward coz the non-SSS high beam housing is round. You can't use the same pipe for the DRL housing coz it's a weird shape.

Here are pix I took 2 years ago when I was sizing up an S2K projector in a JDM CZ MR headlight:

This was back when I was modifying my first ever CZ4A HL. As you can see an S2K projector is bigger than the housing. I wasn't prepared to cut up the housing coz I couldn't guarantee that I could make it fit. I got rid of the S2K idea and finally had the courage to retrofit an FX-R instead. Best move I ever made for CZ4A HLs...
Trust me dude, go with an FX-R. Sure the S2K has one of the best low beam produced but the FX-R is pretty close. There are 8 ppl in the world that I know of rockin FX-Rs in a SSS/MR HL. 6 that I've made + 2 others that had the guts to do it themselves... Next week will be my 7th one... No need to reinvent the wheel. Do what works
Old Oct 17, 2011, 01:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Thats looking good
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:55 PM

I would be all over this if i live in CA.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 09:16 AM

WOW, amazing.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 07:12 AM

IEVOXII youre the man! I really appreciate your work, the awsome builds youve done, and the advise you gave. I was literally comissioned to make a set of lights to stand above all the rest, with no expense spared on the job. I have no choice but to blaze my own path on this one.

Ill use vacuum forming to extend the backs of the unit to accomodate for the recessed MH1, as well as the S2K so i can make it work. Ill design laser cut adapter plates to mount the MH1 so that they are aimed appropriately in line with the S2K since the cutoffs are similar. Lastly ill fab up a tube with an angle cut in the rear to enclose the MH1 and mount the 2nd e46 shroud to its face.

Its gonna be nasty, but you set the bar pretty damn high man. If it were just any regular build id go fxR all day no question since you took all the guess work out for me there. Big thanks either way!!!
Old Oct 19, 2011, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

^^ glad to help out...

Ok, if it's S2K full steam then I can probably get you some pix on Saturday/Sunday of an S2K projector sized up in a JDM MR housing (same as USDM SSS).

If you use vacuum forming in the DRL housing then you won't need a pipe. MH1 will fit... When I use E46-R or OEM E46 in the DRL housing I need roughly another 10mm space in the back to fit a whole projector. Coz of this 10mm short fall, I've had the to go fake projector setup (not prepared to hack the back)

Qn:
* Will you retain the OEM SSS shroud in the low/high beam housing or will you retro another shroud? All my CZ retro's have used E46-Rs or OEM E46's in that space. If you go E46 shroud in the DRL housing it will look good to be consistent..

If you need any info just let me know... I'm the king of MR/SSS HL dynamics
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can take my halogens =D Where in socal are you? Im around LA to Rowland.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 03:24 PM

@popdakebin: I can "take" em? like a donation? That would be epic to say the least, lol, please clarify if I'm wrong. I'm in Fontana, just off the 15 a couple miles north of the 10.

@iEvoVII: Wow, seriously I'm humbled by your generosity to help! Yeah any and everything will be great. I have all my hardware already, just need the SSS housing to restart (I originally picked up the halogens until my guy realized that it wouldn't have the stock side shroud like the SSS. And to answer your ? yes it'll be dual E46, same as the halogens in this thread where the CCFLs are mounted behind the shrouds with the holes shaved in the back to allow them to peep out. The guy wants Red Demon Eyes as well, which actually work great with the MH1 using strip LEDs.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 03:50 AM
Evolving Member

^^ seeing as I have to open a RHS over the weekend and I've got sets of S2Ks in storage then why not... Gives you knowledge as well as myself... Win win situation...

The best shroud for the low/high beam housing is a 2.5" OEM E46 shroud
* diameter from end of groove to opposite groove = ??mm
* diameter of OEM MR/SSS shroud = 93.7mm pic

3" OEM & Replica E46 is slightly too big for OEM MR/SSS shroud. Groove to groove on a 3" = 96mm (pic) You could dremel off another 1.2mm around the OEM MR/SSS shroud to get your 96mm's but you would need steady hands to get a perfect circle. You want the full length of the grooves to be visible since you're putting the CCFL halo behind the grooves..

The 3" shrouds I've used in this space have not had the entire grooves visible coz I have not wanted to dremel the extra 1.2mm's.

I'll be very interested to see ur vacuum form attempt in the DRL housing... Hope all goes well

[edit] ammended dimensions

Last edited by iEvoVII; Oct 24, 2011 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Ammended dimensions
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:45 PM

Damn.. great work guys!

Quick Reply: Quad Bi-Xenon HID Headlights - Evo X non HID