Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Itsjdmpanda's Evo X Build

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Itsjdmpanda's Evo X Build

Hey, everyone, my name is Duy and I've always wanted a Mitsubishi Evolution but the timing was never right to pull the trigger. I've been on the search for a Wicked White Evolution X GSR for quite a while and finally found one at a reasonable price. So here is my first Evolution X and I have already spent 10 hours driving it back home.

Here's a link to my youtube video of my journey acquiring my Wicked White Evolution X

Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:53 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Welcome Duy

Joe
Old Feb 15, 2019, 06:46 AM

I absolutely love driving the Evo X everyday as the power delivering is so linear. Just recently I ran into a problem as the car started to misfire when I just got back from pumping gas. I thought it was bad gas but to find out it was my spark plugs needed to be changed.

What scared me is the tip on one of them snapped. I Bore scoped it and it's not where to be found.

Old Feb 19, 2019, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
That definitely doesn't look good. Something is definitely wrong there. The tip is snapped and the plug is black while all the rest are white.

So you swapped them and it seems to run fine? The tip/electrode didn't just disappear..
Old Feb 19, 2019, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Did this happen literally just 4 days after buying the new car?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 03:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
That happens on X's. Replace the plugs and see how it drives. It's usually from knock because the car is tuned for better fuel than we have in the US.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
The tip most likely exited out the exhaust port, hopefully before scratching up the cylinder walls.

It's hard to tell from your picture. Is the tip sheared off or does it look melted? If it's melted you had something bad going on in that cylinder. If it sheared, somebody probably fatigued it gapping the plug and it finally failed. If that's the case, you're probably fine tossing in new plugs and proceeding on your merry way!

The plug is black because it was misfiring like crazy due to the damaged plug so no worries there.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by splattj
The tip most likely exited out the exhaust port, hopefully before scratching up the cylinder walls.

It's hard to tell from your picture. Is the tip sheared off or does it look melted? If it's melted you had something bad going on in that cylinder. If it sheared, somebody probably fatigued it gapping the plug and it finally failed. If that's the case, you're probably fine tossing in new plugs and proceeding on your merry way!

The plug is black because it was misfiring like crazy due to the damaged plug so no worries there.
You see the white part of the plug around the tip? On the bad plug, it's alot smaller than the rest of them. Does that normally wear out like that when misfiring?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:27 PM

I'll take a look at it when i'm home. The car is not my daily just yet as I'm doing some maintanence to it like flushing all the fluids out with fresh ones because god knows when it was done even with low miles.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 08:48 AM

I forgot I have a thread on this forum but I went to buy a camera so I can feed in down the sparkplug hole to see any damage and it doesn't look like it is in there or any signs of damage. I've also been driving it for a few years without any issues so far.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 08:48 AM

Finally got a change to install my ETS V3 Dual Muffler exhaust system on my Evo X. When I purchased the car it came with an Invidia N1 exhaust but I wanted the dual exhaust look like factory did.

The following users liked this post:
EVO196 (Jul 1, 2021)