Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Spring Rate Chart for Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2013, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mforbes
I am on the hunt for the best track worthy springs. I drive a GSR with stock suspension. A friend of mine that drives a 9 has the swift springs. I am wondering for the track if I should consider front/rear sway bar AND springs? I have heard that the X should be fine with just a rear sway bar upgrade. Input?
Generally just a rear sway bar is the right balance for these cars although you can do a front sway bar on the softest setting and use the stiffer settings on the rear if you use softer springs front versus rear as well. What you don't want is stiffer front springs like a some coilovers come with by default compounded with a stiff swaybar relative to the rear, absolutely makes the car handle like junk. I had the sponsors car come in like that a couple years ago and it was barely driveable on the street on bumpy roads.

As far as track worthy springs you want a moderate drop and spring rate change that won't overwhelm the stock shocks. The real answer is a good set of coilovers in the $2000 range if you are serious. If you can only go with springs right now finding some Bilstein shocks from an MR owner coupled with the Swift springs seems like a well liked combo, plus you can get the shocks re-valved if you want to choose the more aggressive spring rates and drops to really dial it in.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MR Bilsteins with GTWorx springs

I put on the GT Worx springs on my 2011 MR. The stocks shocks are seriously under damped with these springs and my car lurched and bounced around badly. The car is horrible at speed on a bumpy country road. The stock springs are better for the street IMHO.

At a smooth track where damping isn't critical I gained 4-5 seconds a lap (Watkins Glen).

IMHO Don't put these springs on unless you revalve the shocks - I think you'll be disappointed otherwise because the back road agility and speed, the things that make the Evo great, is compromised.

Revalve $120 ea = $480
Used bilsteins = $400 set
springs = $350
Total $1230

A good 2 way adjustable Ohlins is $2300. Unless you have the bilsteins already it's not a good way to go. The revalved bilsteins will be a compromise, either too stiff for the street or to soft for the track.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 09:35 AM

Who can revalve bisteins?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by rg500nut
Who can revalve bisteins?
Bilstein USA here in Poway, CA
Old Jan 8, 2015, 07:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Please add us to your list, 8k/6k (Street) or 10k/8k (Track) 32 way adjustable Damping, single dual. $1,288
Old Jan 11, 2015, 02:57 AM

DeltaVee for Bilstein revalve

1) I had the rear Bilsteins revalved by Rob at DeltaVee Motorsports in Kalamazoo, MI. Great service, 2 week turn around, about $110 each including guides?, seals and a dyno chart. Very pleased. The compression damping was doubled and the rebound damping quadrupled. The rear bounciness and floating was gone and the ride actually improved in the drivers seat. With the rear better controlled the front damping seemed weak

2) I rebuilt and revalved the fronts. Again, Rob at DeltaVee did a fantastic job. The front struts had much more damping from the factory, so based on spring rates and corner weights Rob only doubled the compression and rebound damping.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
For some reasons, the sort-of-new JRZ RS1 coilovers (single compression and rebound adjustability, 8 kg/mm(?) front & 9 kg/mm(?) rear for the Evo) are not listed in the chart. This is potentially a great street and entry-level track setup for those want to splurge. There is also a review (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...it-review.html) on this forum from 2012.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lightsaber
For some reasons, the sort-of-new JRZ RS1 coilovers (single compression and rebound adjustability, 8 kg/mm(?) front & 9 kg/mm(?) rear for the Evo) are not listed in the chart. This is potentially a great street and entry-level track setup for those want to splurge. There is also a review (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...it-review.html) on this forum from 2012.
Service intervals and not having dust boots / bump stops limit this kit's street usefulness and push it more towards a track setup. You'd have to get those thinks added on afterwards.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Roen
Service intervals and not having dust boots / bump stops limit this kit's street usefulness and push it more towards a track setup. You'd have to get those thinks added on afterwards.
So maybe we should call Ohlins the ultimate choice for street instead, no?
Old Jun 26, 2015, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty much. I mean you can street the JRZ, but you'll deal with decreased performance after awhile until you decide to rebuild them.

Other people have added dust boots and bump stops to the JRZs as well.

I have a coilover setup that uses 3 party duty boots, luckily mine came with bump stops.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 10:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is a sprint rate?
http://www.vikingspeedshop.com/suspe...-spring-rates/
Old Mar 14, 2016, 01:31 AM

Hi Guys im new to this i really want to know..i changed my lancer 2008 front wheel bearings... and now my car display abs service?
Old Apr 9, 2016, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Old May 9, 2018, 09:54 PM

Hi guys,
I don't understand why we have gsr OEM SPRING rate, but we don't have the OEM COILOVER rate ?
I thought it was 8 kg front/rear but I'm not able to confirm.

Help please
Old May 23, 2018, 04:45 PM

Bad vibration after 35 mph

Bought Megan Coilovers and had them installed on my 10 ralliart...We installed spacers too and this is happening around 35MPH and it gets worse the faster you go.
Facebook Post

Any advice?

Quick Reply: Spring Rate Chart for Evo X