Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

wheel center bore?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2008, 10:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
wheel center bore?

What is the stock CB for the stock wheel; 73 or 75? Several wheels available are 75 but most are 73.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 03:41 PM
FLK
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
67.1 iirc
Old Oct 9, 2008, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Old Oct 9, 2008, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks. Got it. Is this a standard size for Japanese vehicles? It is frustrating in this market that the wheel manufacturers don't make hubcentric CB's for the car without the need for adapter rings. Most tuner wheels in the BMW arena do. My new Enkei's are 75mm with a 67.1 adapter. Very hard to center the wheel with the adapter and start the nuts. Wheel has to be "pulled on" with each turn.

I read in another thread that most are not using the hubcentric rings, but there must be a reason that they are made?
Old Oct 31, 2008, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

I just recieved my advan 18X10. I was thinking the same thing about rings?
Old Oct 31, 2008, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Do you need the rings and where to get them?
Old Oct 31, 2008, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

I think the rings are an absolute necessity. A hubcentricly made mounting point on the hub should use a hubcentric equal wheel center bore, even if using a ring is necessary.

Most good German cars and available aftermarket wheels are hubcentric and you don't have to bother with rings. Some wheels did have rings and those were usually the Japanese made brands. Even with those fitments the rings were sized so that they were very easy to put on and take off without any problems threading the lugs.

The matching of the center bore on the wheel and hub prevents any unwanted vibration during high speed driving. There is another large thread regarding this topic and most posters are not using the rings nor do they think they are important. Interesting discussion and I would also like to hear other justification as to why some don't think runing hubcentric is important.

Talk to the shop that sold you the wheels or call the manufacturer and they will hook you up with the proper rings.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks thats what I thought. I search and found the hub is 67 inside and the advan wheel is 73 outside.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Tirerack sells them and so does ebay.I know there some discussion on platic and aluminum rings,one was better then the other.i ran my wheels a week with out the rings,vibration on highway was crazy.After i installed i noticed a 100% difference.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

I bought 67.10 x72.62mm off ebay. I couldn't find the exact size so I hope they work being within tenths. My 18x10 Advan RZs are sittin here waitin. I'll let you guys know.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 06EvoIXmr07
I know there some discussion on platic and aluminum rings,one was better then the other.
Thread resurrection... just in case anyone researching hubcentric ring adapters finds this, the reason to avoid plastic rings is because they'll MELT if you ever take your Evo to the track, and the front brake rotors—and as a result, the front wheels—get to temperatures well beyond the melting point of the plastic hubcentric adapter rings.

Originally Posted by 06EvoIXmr07
i ran my wheels a week with out the rings,vibration on highway was crazy.After i installed i noticed a 100% difference.
Also, while wheel and tire balancing can be critical on street applications, especially for a luxury vehicle where smooth ride and lack of vibration is a priority, as a racer who often runs wheels/tires that aren't dynamically balanced, and never having bothered to run hubcentric rings since my first set of plastic ones melted and the subsequent aluminum rings eventually got stuck on the hub bore and then cracked when I tried to pry them off, I don't think skipping the hubcentric rings matters on a race car application.

I've also driven my competition cars w/o balanced wheels and w/o hubcentric rings on the highway, on the way to the track, and I honestly couldn't feel any unusual vibration up to 85 mph or so.