Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Tire Rotation Pattern

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2009, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tire Rotation Pattern

I'm getting ready to throw my summer tires back on my wheels, and I have been thinking about the rotation pattern. The tires are directional, so you can typically only rotate front-to-back.

However, since they aren't mounted to the wheels I could cross rotate them and maintatain the proper rotation direction.

Since I have the opportunity to do so should I cross rotate them, or should I simply stick with the traditional front-to-back? Does it even matter? Any thoughts?
Old Apr 2, 2009, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, the OEM Advan tires aren't really "directional". They do however have an "Outside" indicator on the tires meaning that is the sidewall which should be on the outside of the wheel.

so when the tire is on the left side of the car, the tires will rotate in one direction, and then on the right side of the car, the tires will rotate in the other direction. This is because "outside" is facing to the left on the left side, and is facing the right on the right side.

Make any sense?
Old Apr 2, 2009, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^+1 the factory advans are not directional, just make sure you put them on the wheel correctly.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Food for thought. Below is what multiple goodyear reps have told me for non-directional tires (directional works also if tires are off wheels). I don't understand their reasoning, but they seem pretty adamant about it.

Attached Thumbnails Tire Rotation Pattern-untitled.jpg  
Old Apr 2, 2009, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostin20
Food for thought. Below is what multiple goodyear reps have told me for non-directional tires (directional works also if tires are off wheels). I don't understand their reasoning, but they seem pretty adamant about it.
Yea, that's the "cross-rotation" that I was talking about. That is supposedly a preferable rotation pattern, but you can't do it with directional tires unless they're off the wheels. It's nice because on the tires that change sides you're swapping which portion of the tire is towards the inside of the car, which helps even out wear.

I guess since mine are off that's probably what I'll have them do. I basically just wanted to make sure it wasn't a bad idea and that I was overlooking something.

BTW I'm on Z1 Star Specs, which are directional.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

yep, +1 for non-directional.
Also, that chart is in the owner's manual.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by XRims.com
yep, +1 for non-directional.
Also, that chart is in the owner's manual.
The Z1s are definitely directional. The chart in the owner's manual only applies to the stock tires.

Anyway, I cross rotated.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Running directional tires in the wrong rotational direction will prevent the water channels from working correctly. That's what I have read. So for dry it doesn't matter but on wet roads it will likely make a big difference in how the tire grips and could result in increased hydroplaning.

Last edited by Evo_Someday; Apr 4, 2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Someday
Running directional tires in the wrong rotational direction will prevent the water channels from working correctly. That's what I have read. So for dry it doesn't matter but on wet roads it will likely make a big difference in how the tire grips and could result in increased hydroplaning.
That is correct. However, you can cross-rotate directional tires if you take them off the wheels. You're essentially flipping the tires around the other way and remounting them so that when they go on the other side of the car they're still pointing in the right direction.