Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Want a harder, more solid brake pedal feel

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2009, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want a harder, more solid brake pedal feel

I already have steel braided brake lines, and Motul brake fluid. Not to mention the Giro Disc 2 piece slotted rotors. Don't get me wrong, the brakes work killer out on the track. But, I would like a little more less brake pedal travel and want the pedal to have that rock hard solid feel to it. Kind of like my Viper, and 911 Porsche I use to own. Any advice? Thanks..

WM
Old Sep 8, 2009, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What pads are you running? When I go back to stock, the pedal feels like a marshmallow. When I put these DTC-30's on it was like whiplash city.

Have you flushed the fluid recently? Motul likes it some water.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
What pads are you running? When I go back to stock, the pedal feels like a marshmallow. When I put these DTC-30's on it was like whiplash city.

Have you flushed the fluid recently? Motul likes it some water.
I'm still using the stock pads since the car is still new. I haven't flushed the fluid yet though..
Old Sep 8, 2009, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

You said you put motul in? You had to have flushed when you did that? And you likely flushed when you put the braided lines on there.

Try new pads

The DTC-30's are reasonably inexpensive and so far have been pretty good with massive initial bite (although that's mellowing a bit). They're even decent for light track duty (well track duty for most people not track duty for those that push the car).
Old Sep 8, 2009, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
You said you put motul in? You had to have flushed when you did that? And you likely flushed when you put the braided lines on there.

Try new pads

The DTC-30's are reasonably inexpensive and so far have been pretty good with massive initial bite (although that's mellowing a bit). They're even decent for light track duty (well track duty for most people not track duty for those that push the car).

Yeah the shop must of flushed it then. That said, Im going to give those pads a try thanks..

WM
Old Sep 8, 2009, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

I'm thinking about upgrading to either Hawk HPS, Endless street, Project Mu street, or Ferodo DS2500. I have the Magic Pads. They're okay, i'd like more bite and high speed braking.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

^^ I think I am going with either the Hp plus or Mu street's. But for a stronger pedal feel, if lines pads and rotors dont do it for you then you might have to think about some new Calipers
Old Sep 9, 2009, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

^.... eh.... no, not necessarily. The X calipers are plenty powerful. It's the pads you're talking about getting that suck.

Now if you were talking about some 1 piston piece of crap caliper, then ya, you'd need an upgrade...

If you were local I'd let you take my car for a spin to see if you can drive around town without locking the brakes up These DTC-30's have put flatspots on my rcomps at the autocross (ok, well maybe I did, but the DTC-30's allowed me to).

DTC-30 initial bite >>>>>> DS2500 >>>>> Hawk HT-10 >>>>>>>>>>>>> stock.

The initial bite translates into a harder feeling pedal to me.

I like the HT-10's for the track though... the "grabbiness" of the DTC-30's would likely be a problem on the track (but good for around town/autocross).
Old Sep 9, 2009, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

This thread is *exactly* what i was about to post up!

So goofygrin: Those DTC-30's sound like a good mix of track and street?

The OP is looking for something for track and street but in my case i want dedicated street pads with a solid feel and better than OEM bite... but i also dont want the pads to kill my rotors
Old Sep 9, 2009, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

I'm sure that the DTC-30's aren't easy on rotors. DS2500's aren't easy on them for sure. I had the DS2500's before I had these and the rotors had to be turned at 12k miles and then they were completely done in 10k more miles (this is a on a mix of stock, DS2500 and HT10's).

The DTC-30's are squeaky and grindy a bit though. They are more of a race application than a street application IMO. I did put Ti shims in in the front though and that could explain some of the squeakiness. I had squealing with the DS2500's too when I used the rear pad adapters.

The DTC-30's have an X specific rear pad, which is nice.

They aren't dusting like the stock pad either.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Western Man, read my review of the Carbotech XP series brake pads; I think it will give you some insight into what you are looking for. These pads have outstanding initial bite, extreme fade resistance, and a great FIRM pedal feel that will probably be exactly what you are looking for. Link: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...must-read.html
Old Sep 10, 2009, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

Try PFC pads. Slightly more expensive than the Hawks, but worth it. I'm very partial to the PFC 06 compound right now on my E36 M3--best track pad I've ever used, and they are lasting quite a long time with heavy track work.

They can be used on the street, but I wouldn't use them on a daily driver--any track pad will give much more rotor wear on the street, because they're operating in abrasive mode when cold. But, on my track M3, I don't even change to street pads anymore--the 06 works fine when driving to and from the track.

Goofygrin: I'm really surprised that you run the DTC pads (even the 30s) on the street. You're definitely going to go through rotors quickly, even if they seem to work fine at cold temps.

Does anyone know if there are Evo X fitments for the PFC pads?
Old Sep 10, 2009, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by weneversleep
Try PFC pads. Slightly more expensive than the Hawks, but worth it. I'm very partial to the PFC 06 compound right now on my E36 M3--best track pad I've ever used, and they are lasting quite a long time with heavy track work.

They can be used on the street, but I wouldn't use them on a daily driver--any track pad will give much more rotor wear on the street, because they're operating in abrasive mode when cold. But, on my track M3, I don't even change to street pads anymore--the 06 works fine when driving to and from the track.

Goofygrin: I'm really surprised that you run the DTC pads (even the 30s) on the street. You're definitely going to go through rotors quickly, even if they seem to work fine at cold temps.

Does anyone know if there are Evo X fitments for the PFC pads?
I run PFC01s in the front and 97s from the VIII/IX in the rear with Girodisc adapters. The 01s are the same fitment as the IX/VIII.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

Get a bleeder from Motive. Every one that drives my car compliments my brake pedal as very hard.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 07:44 AM

Has anyone heard of a master cylinder brace? I had one on my old 05 STi and it was NIGHT and Day difference in pedal feel. If you want to reduce flex, and improve your ability to heal-toe, then I would look into this.

Quick Reply: Want a harder, more solid brake pedal feel