Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

knocking noise front left?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2010, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm. I had a car with bad wheel bearings. Made squeaking noises and knocking noises. When they were replaced the noise was gone so this could be one of ur problems as well. Getting it fixed is alot of $$$$$$$$
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

alright !!!
i know what it is and i found my problem, i think i didnt drive alot yet but didnt hear anynoise
what i did was jack the car with a car jack take a spray can of lub and spray the cylinders with it until there lubbed up !
and bang its all over ...! hahaha
Old Mar 19, 2010, 11:20 PM

when i put my car in reverse as soon as i go to back up i move like a foot then hear a like 2 clinks, sounds like metal clanking together. its rather annoying, and sometimes when i shift aswell
Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blincoln423
when i put my car in reverse as soon as i go to back up i move like a foot then hear a like 2 clinks, sounds like metal clanking together. its rather annoying, and sometimes when i shift aswell

Maybe the differentials doing the self-check?? All evo's have a clicking noise when the car starts moving within the first 5 seconds.
Old May 14, 2011, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

same issue here i hear it coming from the driver side every time i turn right and sometimes when i drive straight going over rough or bumpy roads. its a clunking sound not a whining sound
Old May 19, 2011, 12:30 AM

Try with professionla , without professional nothing sounds good.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:29 AM
Evolving Member

found the problem! it was the downpipe touching the tcase that was making the clunking noise. rerouted the downpipe a few centimeters away from the tcase and like magic the noise is gone.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 01:16 AM

It is very common problem here in Russia, our roads are much worse then roads in USA thats why we got in touch with this problem a lot time ago. It is gap between the rod and the body of the shock absorber, this problem usually comes out after 20k miles of use. In lots of cases you can drive with it for a long time until your shock will go south.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 03:32 PM

I know this old thread but i am having a knocking noise coming from my front left. I have new cv joints i also notice if car is in air doesnt make sound, i tried pushing up and down on strut but doesnt make sound. I have 2010 gsr that is lowered.

https://youtu.be/WOhX7qb7UXI

Last edited by whatsnext; Mar 18, 2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by molodoi
It is very common problem here in Russia, our roads are much worse then roads in USA thats why we got in touch with this problem a lot time ago. It is gap between the rod and the body of the shock absorber, this problem usually comes out after 20k miles of use. In lots of cases you can drive with it for a long time until your shock will go south.
So I've been hearing this noise in my car for a while now. I didn't realize so many other people also have this same noise. Anyway, I just had some new tires put on and had the shop do an alignment check. The shop told me they couldn't do the alignment check because there was a lot of play between the rod and the body of the shock absorber. I haven't actually taken the wheel off and checked but this sounds exactly what you are talking about. The shop said the only fix would be to get new front struts.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hahahaha this OPs posts are so freakin hilarious I love it.

Anyways the knocking could be from a blown strut or your tie rods rubbing against something. I have also read something before about your brake pads moving out of place which makes that kind of knocking sound. you could also check inside your outer axle boots and see if everything is good