Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

The Brake Rotor, Pad, Line, Fluid, and Duct Thread (Evo X)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2011, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL Brakes RC6's are 100-1800 High Torque Pads
Old Jan 11, 2011, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Forgot to update this version from the 1-9 area. Updated first post.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So I tried putting EVO VIII ducts on an EVO X. The mounting bolts are larger diameter on the EVO X, and the spacing a little different. BUT - drilling the mounting holes out larger made them work. So although not perfect - they seem to work!
So this is an option for the EVO X guys to look at.

Some photos of the test fitting.

Name:  105_1642.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  1.03 MB

Name:  105_1638.jpg
Size:  986.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0418.jpg
Size:  4.92 MB
Old Apr 4, 2011, 07:45 PM

I was wondering if someone could answer a few questions. I have an Evo X MR and will likely have to change the brakes soon. What options (companies) do I have for the front two-piece rotors? Does just the rotor piece get replaced? I am unfamiliar with this type of design. Also, I'm assuming I can use a standard one piece rotor in the back?

I don't track the car and use mainly for DD and spirited driving. Any suggestions for rotor/pad combo that is of good quality and cost effective?
Old Apr 5, 2011, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jo151
I was wondering if someone could answer a few questions. I have an Evo X MR and will likely have to change the brakes soon. What options (companies) do I have for the front two-piece rotors? Does just the rotor piece get replaced? I am unfamiliar with this type of design. Also, I'm assuming I can use a standard one piece rotor in the back?

I don't track the car and use mainly for DD and spirited driving. Any suggestions for rotor/pad combo that is of good quality and cost effective?
DBA makes a direct replacement rotor ring that keeps the OE hat. You just need new bolts and self-locking nuts.

Chris
Old Apr 10, 2011, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

Hi, i am looking into upgrading my brake lines to SS line for track, DD and spirited driving. I would like to know if drving in freezing temp. would be an issue since it is also my DD in the winter. Does anyone have it on their car as DD and live in extreme cold winter area? Thx
Old Apr 10, 2011, 05:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KahoX
Hi, i am looking into upgrading my brake lines to SS line for track, DD and spirited driving. I would like to know if drving in freezing temp. would be an issue since it is also my DD in the winter. Does anyone have it on their car as DD and live in extreme cold winter area? Thx
No issues with high-quality SS lines. The crappier ones have issues no matter what the temperature is!

Chris
Old Apr 10, 2011, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Chris_B
No issues with high-quality SS lines. The crappier ones have issues no matter what the temperature is!

Chris
Thx!

I looked around some vendors' website and only two companies advertised their product as DOT approved and that's Harmon Motive and WORKS.. I was wondering if other products such as AMS, goodridge and techna-fit are just as good and meet all safety standards?
Old Apr 11, 2011, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KahoX
Thx!

I looked around some vendors' website and only two companies advertised their product as DOT approved and that's Harmon Motive and WORKS.. I was wondering if other products such as AMS, goodridge and techna-fit are just as good and meet all safety standards?
If my AMS brand blows apart, not only am I damaged, but they'd be out of business FAST -- they live (or die) on their reputation with the tuner aftermarket performance crowd. They fit great, they're covered with a sheath.

In case you didn't get this reading, braided lines will wear out, just different than rubber. The braiding allows tiny bits of dirt/crap to actually rub and wear the rubber that the braiding holds tight. The plastic sheathing design is to minimize that, and maximize the SS lines lifetime. But it's not permanent. I've never had problems with 20 years on rubber lines, so I'll just put another $100 on the 7 year maintenance cost plan
breakdown.
Old May 31, 2011, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

**found typo**

confirmed with girodisc (johann).

1pc slotted rotor (front) is 25.5 lbs NOT 17.4 lbs
1pc slotted rotor (rear) is 18 lbs NOT 11.1 lbs
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:40 PM

hi anyone, i just brought the ss brake lines. Wonder should i change it in order or just do it all at same time and how abt the fluid? any procedure and pic would help. plz help!
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ImEv0
**found typo**

confirmed with girodisc (johann).

1pc slotted rotor (front) is 25.5 lbs NOT 17.4 lbs
1pc slotted rotor (rear) is 18 lbs NOT 11.1 lbs
Fixed. Feel free to report and list the change. A mod can correct it. Or PM me and I will edit in X info.

Originally Posted by loveu2001dc
hi anyone, i just brought the ss brake lines. Wonder should i change it in order or just do it all at same time and how abt the fluid? any procedure and pic would help. plz help!
Buy a Factory Service Manual. Worth it. If not, go to a shop. Brakes are a safety part. If you cannot do it right - don't do it.

Get fluid (Prestone DOT4 is a great/cheap DD fluid) and flush system.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by journeymansteve
If my AMS brand blows apart, not only am I damaged, but they'd be out of business FAST -- they live (or die) on their reputation with the tuner aftermarket performance crowd. They fit great, they're covered with a sheath.

In case you didn't get this reading, braided lines will wear out, just different than rubber. The braiding allows tiny bits of dirt/crap to actually rub and wear the rubber that the braiding holds tight. The plastic sheathing design is to minimize that, and maximize the SS lines lifetime. But it's not permanent. I've never had problems with 20 years on rubber lines, so I'll just put another $100 on the 7 year maintenance cost plan
breakdown.
Having come from a honduh start in my life with racing, a lot of the 'prolific' guys change their SS lines every single year due to belief of the lines actually getting brittle, which have become standard practice for me now.

Last edited by Stormin Norman; Jul 16, 2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Stormin Norman
Having come from a honduh start in my life with racing, a lot of the 'prolific' guys change their SS lines every single year due to belief of the lines actually getting brittle, which have become standard practice for me now.
Thx, appreciate that input a lot.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:07 PM

Great info in here. thanks all. Learning more and more about our cars.

Quick Reply: The Brake Rotor, Pad, Line, Fluid, and Duct Thread (Evo X)