Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Aftermarket shocks/struts for EVO X

Old Apr 5, 2012, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa999
The body can be shorter in Stock. The perch just needs to be in the same place (i.e., ride-height can't change). But I agree that an increase in cost will turn off autocrossers, as we don't need any more travel for this. And, yet, shorter could get you some rallycrossers, as we need all we can get for that.
The above is misleading to the point of being nonsense. The rules in Stock only allow a 1" change in total length.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 06:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The body can be shorter in Stock. The perch just needs to be in the same place (i.e., ride-height can't change). But I agree that an increase in cost will turn off autocrossers, as we don't need any more travel for this. And, yet, shorter could get you some rallycrossers, as we need all we can get for that.

The above is misleading to the point of being nonsense. The rules in Stock only allow a 1" change in total length.
Some people might start thinking you're crazy if you keep carrying on conversations with yourself...
Old Apr 6, 2012, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Well, other people get upset when I point out that they're posting utter nonsense. I wanted (and/or needed) to know how it felt, but the few shots of which I've been on the receiving end lately have all been wide of the mark. This one I knew would leave a mark.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need shocks real soon and don't really want to go with coil over.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:27 AM

any update GTWORX.com?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Well, in defense of the industry, it's not like anyone could make something that is much better than OE Bilsteins, so there's not much of a point to making an aftermarket shock.
Yep, we pretty much already have the best strut we can get.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

Even the stock GSR struts (KYB?) are really well done. Seriously, they are. Of course this is coming from a former multiple Subaruand Honda owner who's played with afermarket Tokico and Konis with some sucess.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

I don't know about Hondas, but the OEM for Scooby shocks is also KYB, so it's not surprising that the OE KYBs on an Evo seem OK to you. IMO, they have too much high-speed compression and not enough low-speed rebound to be really good. Guess what the main two differences are between MR Bilsteins and GSR KYBs. Com'on. I dare you. Guess. tee hee
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

I don't know about Hondas, but the OEM for Scooby shocks is also KYB, so it's not surprising that the OE KYBs on an Evo seem OK to you. IMO, they have too much high-speed compression and not enough low-speed rebound to be really good. Guess what the main two differences are between MR Bilsteins and GSR KYBs. Com'on. I dare you. Guess. tee hee
Color and brand sticker

Old May 12, 2013, 12:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anybody know why Bilstein stopped making their own "HD" branded struts for the EVO X? I remember seeing TireRack selling them before... but as is the general theme with this thread... I still don't see any aftermarket struts.

These cars are getting older... there must be people who need to replace their suspensions and don't want to go with coilovers?
Old Jul 19, 2013, 07:49 PM

gtworx??? was the cost too high for development or did this just drop off the face of the earth....?
Old Jul 20, 2013, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Not sure how I missed this one.

Originally Posted by Crester
Does anybody know why Bilstein stopped making their own "HD" branded struts for the EVO X?
I do not believe (although it's hard to prove a negative) that Bilstein ever sold anything for Xs besides the shocks that come on MRs. I put a ton of effort into locating such things before throwing up my hands and buying a used suspension off an MR. (But, again, my failure to find anything might be because I'm old enough to have a VCR that says 12:00 ... 12:00 ... 12:00.)
Old Jul 20, 2013, 03:47 PM

I have a 92 Talon. I built a set of front struts and shocks for the rear of my car. I used Bilstein HD strut inserts from a 3000gt. I built the housings and an adapter for the camber plates. I don't know why this can not be done to an evo 10. I have a write up on www.dsmtuners.com. It is under Bilstein HD. I know that Ground Control built a set for an evo 1,2,3 using dual adjustable Konis. I used the Ground Control coil overs in my struts. I had to modify them to fit the front struts.
Rick
Old Jul 20, 2013, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Oh, it can be done. In fact, there are a few places making the required lower mount, etc, for the 40 and 46 mm Bilstein inserts, depending on whether you play on pavement or not. What the previous person was saying (and I was disagreeing with) was the idea that there was something OTS from Bilstein besides what comes stock on an X MR.