Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Aftermarket shocks/struts for EVO X

Old May 29, 2010, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket shocks/struts for EVO X

Hi all,

I've been looking for aftermarket shocks/struts for X for a while. I just couldn't find anyone selling those. I'm currently running on Eibachs with stock shocks. I'm looking for the upgrades after the stock shocks are blown. Does anyone have any idea why there's no aftermarket shocks?
Old May 31, 2010, 01:11 AM
Evolving Member

as far as i'm concerned, there are no aftermarket struts/shocks for the evo x...its kinda sad, i know...evo's are known for a huge aftermarket support and all...but it seems like with this car, its either go springs with stock struts...or coilovers...or go home...haha

good luck with your choice
Old Jun 1, 2010, 04:45 PM

it would be better if we got more selections other then just the coilover kits.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 07:01 AM

You can always pick up a set of MR Bilsteins and have them revalved to match your springs, although two different suspension shops (Mueller and a local shop) have recommended against it and just said keep the stock MR Bilsteins and aftermarket springs.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by krisiun
You can always pick up a set of MR Bilsteins and have them revalved to match your springs, although two different suspension shops (Mueller and a local shop) have recommended against it and just said keep the stock MR Bilsteins and aftermarket springs.
did they say why they were against it?

Bilstein West does a great job of revalving struts and can match the MR struts to any spring on the market. Bilsteins are an excellent shock to rebuild and lots of people do it. I'm surprised that a shop like Mueller would advise against it...its contrary to common practice with the Bilstein shock.

I mean, there is really no need for an aftermarket strut with Bilsteins coming from the factory simply because they can be revalved so easily.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 02:27 PM

I came across this and didn't want to start a new thread. Any updates on this? Are we still stuck with either coilovers or stock struts? I'm sure the MR Bilsteins are nice but unless they are available elsewhere, seem kind of like a ripoff considering the markups dealerships have on replacement parts (really? $2.00 for a drain plug washers? highway robbery!)
Old Feb 22, 2011, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Considering that stock MR shocks/struts are barely enough to handle stock springs, I have hard time believing stiffer springs on stock dumpers would be good way to go! It looks like 4100 ASTs seem to be a good bang for the buck. Although, I wouldn't get dampers without external tanks for my car ever again, but your mileage might be different.

Fedja
Old Feb 22, 2011, 08:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MrAWD
Considering that stock MR shocks/struts are barely enough to handle stock springs, I have hard time believing stiffer springs on stock dumpers would be good way to go! It looks like 4100 ASTs seem to be a good bang for the buck. Although, I wouldn't get dampers without external tanks for my car ever again, but your mileage might be different.

Fedja
4100's do not have external canisters.

- Andrew
Old Feb 22, 2011, 08:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by #1Noob
I came across this and didn't want to start a new thread. Any updates on this? Are we still stuck with either coilovers or stock struts? I'm sure the MR Bilsteins are nice but unless they are available elsewhere, seem kind of like a ripoff considering the markups dealerships have on replacement parts (really? $2.00 for a drain plug washers? highway robbery!)
You have to find the Bilsteins used.

- Andrew
Old Feb 22, 2011, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
4100's do not have external canisters.
I though I just said the same thing...4100 are good bang for the buck, but I wouldn't get those because they don't have external reservoirs. Still, I think that 4100 would be a good setup for lots of guys out there, especially those that don't plan on going crazy with the suspension changes.

Fedja
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Ah, i read that backwards. Well, it's a good monotube and doesn't really suffer shock fade very easily. KW V3's have them but they're a twintube so the extra fluid is more necessary.

If it's for ease of compression damping adjustability, well that's nice to have.

- drew
Old Mar 24, 2012, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

I'm bringing this back from the dead! Just wondering if anyone has heard of any replacement aftermarket struts/shocks for the EVO X. I currently have stock struts/Eibachs. However, after 20,000 miles looks like my struts are long gone. I need to replace them but don't want to go the coilover route. Any ideas?

Izzy
Old Mar 24, 2012, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The answer is still No. MR Bilsteins or coilovers. Sucks to be us.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

This does suck. I'm at 30k miles and my stock struts are worn. I've done the aftermarket spring route in the past with my old WRXs and was never been happy, even with the so called best springs and/or shock combo (ie Pinks, RCE, Swift, Prodive, Koni inserts, Tokico etc) my wife patiently watched me spend and go through several options before going with a premium coilover.

Even then Koni inserts worked best with JDM STI Spec springs.

Anyways I'm either going to buy a set of low miled used stock struts or wait until I can afford something decent like Ohlins or KW. What do they have in the overseas markets, like the in the FQs? I believe the FQ400 has a 30mm lower suspension, I'm curious as to what exactly it's running.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Yoo Shin
This does suck. I'm at 30k miles and my stock struts are worn. I've done the aftermarket spring route in the past with my old WRXs and was never been happy, even with the so called best springs and/or shock combo (ie Pinks, RCE, Swift, Prodive, Koni inserts, Tokico etc) my wife patiently watched me spend and go through several options before going with a premium coilover.

Even then Koni inserts worked best with JDM STI Spec springs.

Anyways I'm either going to buy a set of low miled used stock struts or wait until I can afford something decent like Ohlins or KW. What do they have in the overseas markets, like the in the FQs? I believe the FQ400 has a 30mm lower suspension, I'm curious as to what exactly it's running.
I'm in the same boat. It's unbelievable that there are so many options for our cars, yet no one offers any aftermarket struts. I just had a really bad experience with Megan coilovers on my IX. I know they are considered to be low budget coilovers, but they were really bad. Sure the car handled well, but it rode like complete crap. I've heard good things about the Stance LX series. I have to decide on something soon because my ride quality has gotten pretty bad.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket shocks/struts for EVO X