Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

To those who installed lowering springs, how did you get REARS OFF?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2010, 03:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To those who installed lowering springs, how did you get REARS OFF?

I'm trying to do lowering springs on my evo x...I got the fronts fine no problem...the rears are giving me a hard *** time...btw I'm using all hand tools

I pull off the rear assembly by removing the two 14mm up top...and the 17mm long bolt on the bottom....assembly comes out and when I proceed to loosen the top hat nut just a little (this is what I was taught)...it keeps spinning....am I screwed without an air gun? I was thinking of putting the assembly back onto the car and breaking the nut loose with everything bolted on....but the EVO X, the rear strut assembly is being blocked by this huge *** plate....can't fit any tools down there

Please help! I need some solutions but don't want to resort buying air tools for this...
Old Jun 13, 2010, 03:45 AM
Evolving Member

i haven't looked at the rears on my 10 but usually there is a hex in the shaft that you throw an allen wrench on to hold the shaft from turning and then hit the nut with a box or open end wrench. obviously you can't use a socket for this since you need the top of the shaft open for the allen
Old Jun 13, 2010, 03:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
There should be a write up on one of the forums.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 03:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by smack_evo
i haven't looked at the rears on my 10 but usually there is a hex in the shaft that you throw an allen wrench on to hold the shaft from turning and then hit the nut with a box or open end wrench. obviously you can't use a socket for this since you need the top of the shaft open for the allen

thanks for the reply...I'm actually looking at the rear strut right now...and unfortunately, I don't see a hex to fit an allen wrench
Old Jun 13, 2010, 03:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BlueX702
There should be a write up on one of the forums.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...in-s-tech.html

Is it this write up? I used it as reference before I proceeded to install my springs....unfortunately I'm stuck on the rears...and it looks like the guy in the thread is using air tools, which doesn't give the problem I am having....
Old Jun 13, 2010, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steven88

thanks for the reply...I'm actually looking at the rear strut right now...and unfortunately, I don't see a hex to fit an allen wrench
How do you not see that rectangle on top of the shock bolt?

Put a box end wrench on the nut, then some vice grips clamped on that rectangle on top. Hold the vice grips still while breaking the nut loose.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DarwinX
How do you not see that rectangle on top of the shock bolt?

Put a box end wrench on the nut, then some vice grips clamped on that rectangle on top. Hold the vice grips still while breaking the nut loose.
LOL...sorry I didn't notice that....I'm such a newb when it comes to this kinda stuff....I believe this is only my 2nd spring install...all other installs have been coilovers which of course is WAY easier
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:11 AM
Evolving Member

okay so I tried the vice grips earlier like Darwin suggested...

I got one side to break loose, no problem...then I get to the other side...and man wtf, this thing is on super tight...I even use some pb blaster to see if I can get the top nut to loosen up a little....tried it again and no luck....my rectangle on top is becoming all fu*ked up and now its barely any grip left...btw, the spring is COMPRESSED at this time

okay so I'm thinking of just buying a harbor freight 1/2 inch electrical impact gun and returning it when I'm done...hopefully they won't give me **** for it....the real question is...am I GUARANTEED that this nut will break loose if I use an impact wrench? At this point, I don't think I can use hand tools any more because the top rectangle is super fu*ked up
Old Jun 14, 2010, 01:43 AM
Evolved Member

It's a lot easier to break the nut free when you have the strut mounted to your car with full weight. I had the same issue when I did lowering springs on my old 8. If find someone with an impact wrench and it will come loose pretty easy.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 01:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by whoang40
It's a lot easier to break the nut free when you have the strut mounted to your car with full weight. I had the same issue when I did lowering springs on my old 8. If find someone with an impact wrench and it will come loose pretty easy.
the thing is, i can't break it loose when its on the car...for the evo x, theres a big *** plate blocking the top nut...and you can't remove the plate either..its welded onto the car

i'm gonna try the impact wrench and report back with results
Old Jun 14, 2010, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Invest in a Bench Vice (trust me, you NEED one). Support the body of the shock with a block of wood or such so it's horizontal and the end of the shock is at the same level as the vice. Clamp the end of the plunger / rod in the vice. Squeeze that sucker until it starts bleeding. Then loosen it.