Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Drivers Side Clunk, Knock, Pop or noise from front

Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drivers Side Clunk, Knock, Pop or noise from front

Ok, So after searching all over the forums I found many people have this mystery issue, but no answers. I did find info under Knock, Popping, clunk and some other noise related issues.

So the issue seems to be the drivers side front of the EVOx makes a awful sound while driving, like the strut pivot bearing is missing yet its not. A constant clunk clunk on small rolling bumps. Mine started this around 32K and the dealer just laughed and said there are 2 rubber stops in the springs on the front of that car, its gonna be stiff and loud . (Also read people take these stops out of the springs here?)

Anyway, I had the car on the lift for an hour with a few guys prying and prodding all ball joints, bushings, plastic and exhaust. No go on finding the solution at all. We did notice every time the car is lifted and put back on all 4's the noise goes almost away for a short period, usually about 5 hours of driving only to return.

The Bushings on the roll bar are good, all the links are tight under stress and lifted. Manually trying to move the wheel hub produces no results at all.

This Knock, clunk or pop is strong, like a metal on metal thud that is felt in the floor boards. Something so apparent yet so insanely hard to track down!

I have created a page Only to track all the issues My Evolution X has had so far - Evolution X Problems

Last edited by ctrenks; Jan 20, 2011 at 04:15 PM. Reason: added link to issues page
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:44 PM

I've got this issue as well.

Unfortunately mine started with under 1K on the odometer.
I had coilovers on even before I hit 100 miles, so I don't think it has to do with the stock struts/shocks/springs.

Although, after a long track day I noticed the noise is neither getting better or worse so I'm guessing it's not something loose that's becoming more and more loose as we drive.

I also checked everything multiple times whenever I lift up the car.
For the life of me I cannot find anything.
It's driving me crazy!

I have resorted to turning up the music in my car...
Old Oct 29, 2010, 05:42 AM

I have to lift mine up and remove the "stoppers" the dealer said should be in there lol, hope that does somthing but the sound I have is more metalic than bushing sounding. Will report back once i remove the shipping stops.. LOL, 45K on packing protection
Old Oct 29, 2010, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Same problem I had. It's very annoying. It happens more in reverse.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have this issue too, but it only does it once after my car sits for awhile. Usually when I exiting my driveway at a slant of going over a speed bump with only one side of the car. I can feel it through the floor/clutch when I have it pressed down. I can't figure it out. I hope it doens't get worse. Mine started around 2k.

It's like something pops when the front part of my car is flexing.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Do you have shorter springs on your car? Your spring my not be sitting correctly on its perch.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 05:59 PM

Stock springs, Still havent got the car off the ground to remove the rubber stoppers. Kills me I had this thing at the dealer a few times and the issue of the stoppers was never anything other than a cool tensioner they have not a shipping lock. Ill be real suprised though if this is the cause of all the noise.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 10:44 PM
Former Sponsor

It is a common issue in many cars..

My Mazdaspeed 6 did it - HATED it. Like others, mostly when leaving driveway, speed bumps, and usually after the car has been sitting a while.

My bros and his friends RSX both have the issue when turning the wheel right, I think.

It's annoying, and even now I do not know what it is. I always thought it was the springs not sitting on the perch correctly, but too common an issue..

-AJ
ECS Motorsports
Old Oct 31, 2010, 08:17 AM

I had a similar issue . Someone on here said that it might be the CV joint or something...so i asked the dealer to take a look. The dealer said that the bolts on the CV joint were a little loose for some reason and they re-torqued them to spec. The sound went away and hasn't come back since. This was probably 5 months ago.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i can hear mine when making a left or right turn full lock slow moving, its like clunk clunk sound and its kinda loud,, oh and also when going reverse slow i can feel some vibration and clunk sound,,,
do you guys have this too??? hopefully i can bring it to the dealer this thursday...
Old Nov 3, 2010, 04:39 AM
Evolving Member

Mine just started today. 10,300km on the clock when it started.

Same corner as everyone else on here (front/driver on a LHD car).

I can only hear it at low speed on surfaces that are a little bumpy.

I'm lowered on Eibachs but it sounds like it isn't directly related to the springs.

I'm going to jack the car up tomorrow and have a look.

The sound is driving me crazy!
Old Nov 3, 2010, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by jkc213
i can hear mine when making a left or right turn full lock slow moving, its like clunk clunk sound and its kinda loud,, oh and also when going reverse slow i can feel some vibration and clunk sound,,,
do you guys have this too??? hopefully i can bring it to the dealer this thursday...
This sounds familiar, I replaced the tie rod ends and the noise hasn't been back since. There was no play in them or anything. but the chassis ears i had connected narrowed it down to the tie rod ends. And the noise sounded just like you described.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 07:43 AM

Yeah when you get a pop at full turn going slow thats a good sighn of a bad CV joint..

Also I had the blockes removed from my springs finally after 45K and thought that would fix it but no go. I still get a knock at low speeds over rolling type bumps, sounds like someone is hitting the strut tower with a hammer.

EVERYTHING is tight, I mean everything so I am at a loss. I cant believe its the springs when they are under load the whole time?
Old Nov 4, 2010, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, sign of bad CV joints.. My car only got 3500 miles and I only use the car on the weekends..

That's crazy... I need to go to the dealer
Old Nov 4, 2010, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

All these years and no one found the answer to it yet?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drivers Side Clunk, Knock, Pop or noise from front