Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

TPMS Help

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPMS Help

I just slapped on my new wheel set up and I didnt switch my TPMS to my new wheels. Now my TPMS is on all day and it bugs the crap out of me . I was wondering does anyone know how to disconnect the TPMS? I just dont want to dismount my wheels now and dismount my stock wheels and swap em and have to rebalance both wheels. Im trying to figure out the best way to deal with this problem. Any inputs will be appreciated
Old Dec 4, 2010, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't think there is a way to disconnect the TPMS on the Evo X yet. Best bet would be to place new sensors (or use your old ones) on the new tires...but as you stated it would be a pain to have to remount and re-balance.

There have been some threads about different ideas to trick the TPMS, but not sure if any has worked permanently. Sorry.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Is my following assumption correct?

- use original equipped TPMS with new rims/tires does not require a re-program on ECU, however it is always risky to unmount and remount TPMS from old tires to new tires
- buy new set of TPMS for new setup cost somewhat the cost of the new TPMS + dealer (or garage down the street if they have the right tool) to re-program but this is more reliable than #1

TIA.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 03:20 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
unfortunately with the style of TPMS we have, there are no known ways to trick these sensors

you'll either need to constantly swap your stock set or buy a second and have them reprogrammed to the vehicle with each wheel switch
Old Dec 4, 2010, 07:18 PM

ohhh geez looks like i have no choice but to do this cuz i hate seeing that TPMS sign ugghhhh. Ill let you guys know what happens. Thanks for the help.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

I swapped my winter tires today too but ECU did not notice the missing of TPMS at first until I drove for 20km. Since then everyime I started up, warning gave out.

At first when I read people talking about this issue here I thought it's that annoying with warning beeps! It's just a sign on the dash, I deal with it.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by 416_EVO
I swapped my winter tires today too but ECU did not notice the missing of TPMS at first until I drove for 20km. Since then everyime I started up, warning gave out.

At first when I read people talking about this issue here I thought it's that annoying with warning beeps! It's just a sign on the dash, I deal with it.

Yup same thing with me first 5 miles it was cool but after that. Sign is on all the time. I might just deal with it for now. My question its not going to mess with the ECU or anything right?
Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:11 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
it's not hurting anything...wait until the warning message comes up hold the info button....deal with the blinking light for a minute and it's no different than having your headlights on after that
Old Dec 6, 2010, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by chaotichoax
it's not hurting anything...wait until the warning message comes up hold the info button....deal with the blinking light for a minute and it's no different than having your headlights on after that
Thanks man, yea I might just deal with it for now since the holidays. I have other expenses that are priority hahah.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 07:12 AM
Evolving Member

Agree! Just deal with it or learn how to deal with it. So glad I did not pick up second set of TPMS for my X-Ice2. Just 4+ months and back to summer setup.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 05:41 AM

I put black electric tape (1/2" square) right where the warning light is (which stays on after u hold down the button) and after a few days I don't even notice anything anymore.... u get used to it.
S
Old Dec 8, 2010, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or if you want the actual sensors... a set of 4 will cost about $200 from TireRack.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Crester
Or if you want the actual sensors... a set of 4 will cost about $200 from TireRack.
Yea thought about it but nahhh, id rather put that towards making more powaa
Old Dec 30, 2010, 02:40 AM
Evolving Member

After about a month of driving with the light on you wont even notice it any more. Every time some one drives my car they always ask me what the light is on for and I have to go check because I have gotten so use to it.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you were to buy a second set and have the programmed to the ECU, would the original set still work? like can you have a winter set and a summer set programmed at all times? so when you swap wheels there wont be an issue?

Quick Reply: TPMS Help