Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Tire Wear Question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2011, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Tire Wear Question

Hello, I have a question of tire rotation. I'm still on my stock yokohama and it's about time to rotate my tires. I went to the place I usually go to get them rotated and they told me my tires are to bald to rotate. Later I checked and the outsides are almost to the wear tab but the insides have a descent amount to go. Are they okay to rotate? I'm not doing any crazy driving, it's mostly a daily driver with a couple spirited drives here and there after work but nothing insane. Thanks for any advice!
Old Jul 4, 2011, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
get an alignment to add some -negative camber so you can even out the wear.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ezzey
get an alignment to add some -negative camber so you can even out the wear.
+1...alignment is out of spec for some reason...either that or the car has coils and was raised up from a lowered stance and never re-aligned
Old Jul 5, 2011, 08:27 AM

too bald to rotate... did they try to sell you some tires while you were there, too?

Knowing the mileage on the tires would help a bit.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:26 AM

Have you been tracking/autocrossing the car a lot? This could wear the outside edges faster than the insides, particularly up front. If so, then your alignment may be fine. If "no" then likely your alignment is out. I personally wouldn't go get the car aligned on the old tires (it's unlikely all your wheels are misaligned), as that'll cost $100 unless you know for sure that you'll be keeping that same alignment on the new tires. As far as rotating the tires, at this point it sounds like they're about beyond their useful life. If it were me, I'd just stick the best treads up front and take it easy in the rain-soaked roads until you can get some new rubber on there, at which point if you're not aware or somehow believe your alignment is off, it would be a good time to have the car aligned.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Get alignment and rotate; watch closed and replace when needed.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 01:47 AM
Evolving Member

How many miles did you put on them? It sounds like you may have waited too long to rotate them. You can get more life out of them but just be aware how little tread is on the outside edge. I would rotate them at least and make sure they are properly inflated.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 05:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I rotate them every 5k, have about 25k on them, could I just be they messed up my alignment that bad? Before I swaped them back on from my winter set they were pretty even.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

yup get an allignment! i think its around 75 -100 bucks ... and then ask the shop whos doing the allignment to rotate ur tires .. hit 2 birds in 1 stone ..
Old Jul 7, 2011, 04:39 PM

Air pressure, air pressure, air pressure. Then check the other ideas posted.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

^ yep this is the first thing to check and rotate them to even out the wear. If you have been running underinflated the sides will wear faster than the middle and overinflated the middle will wear quicker. If your pressure is correct then I would consider an alignment.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thread revival!

I'm on the original A13s. Before this weekend, the car (a 2008 GSR) had 13k calmly-driven miles. Tire wear was even. Had 3 or 4 32nds inside and outside, all around. Car is bone stock (which means I don't know the alignment [and I wish that I'd known about Evos being delivered with lousy alignments before tonight's searching]).

Went to an autocross yesterday and did six 45-second runs. Was having a bit too much fun and drifted a bit, mostly a particular 90-degree left. ASC was in plain off (not off-off) and the ACD was in tarmac. Ran about 42# (hot) in the front and 38# rear.

Looked at the tires this morning. All of the new wear in the outer half. The right rear's outer half no longer has the circum-groove; all the tread is pretty much gone for the outer third of that tire.

I'll beg a local shop to flip the tires inside out, but I'm worried they won't agree to. But that would only "buy" me one more event (assuming that I keep having fun and don't slow or calm down).

Obviously if I plan to keep autocrossing, I need more camber. I'll do what I can. But are there decent tires that are less prone to the outer-half wear that I got this weekend? Are the OE A13s above or below average for this kind of wear? It was soooo much fun throwing the car around all afternoon, but I can't kill tires this quickly and remain married.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They're about average in wear. My Star Specs wore the same way on my VR-4 when I beat on it like that. That said, I've worn down the outer half of my rears just taking on ramps aggressively on my A13's.

Stop sliding the rear around, raise the front pressures a bit more and rotate your tires more often to try and help the wear. The only real fix is to run more camber.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DocWalt
Stop sliding the rear around, raise the front pressures a bit more and rotate your tires more often to try and help the wear. The only real fix is to run more camber.
I will, of course, correct the alignment, but I don't think that I will be able to stop sliding around. This car has triggered a second childhood (or, if you ask my wife, a seventh childhood). After years of ragging on drifters, I've discovered just how much fun it actually is.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 02:43 PM

I ruined my Advans being out of alignment too. I wouldn't keep them too much longer though.

Quick Reply: Tire Wear Question