Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Upgrading Sway Bar End Links: Is it neccessary?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrading Sway Bar End Links: Is it neccessary?

I'm about to install a front and rear whiteline 27mm sway bar on my 08 Evo X and I'm wondering if it is really necessary to replace the end links. It's harder than I thought it would ne finding aftermarket ones but whiteline offers them but they cost almost as much as the swaybars. Has anyone had to replace their endlinks after putting on stiffer sway bars? I'll be autocrossing about twice a month. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_..._number=KLC139
http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_..._number=KLC174
Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by frozen.mike
I'm about to install a front and rear whiteline 27mm sway bar on my 08 Evo X and I'm wondering if it is really necessary to replace the end links. It's harder than I thought it would ne finding aftermarket ones but whiteline offers them but they cost almost as much as the swaybars. Has anyone had to replace their endlinks after putting on stiffer sway bars? I'll be autocrossing about twice a month. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_..._number=KLC139
http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_..._number=KLC174
Lots of people have bent/broken the rear end links especially when running the adjustable sway bars on the stiffer settings. If you daily drive it will be fine probably as long as it's not on the stiffest setting but if you're tracking the car they will most likely break in the rear or bend at the least.

There are several different options for new end links just search the forums.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 01:29 PM

Yep, seen first hand my friends broken stock end links (hotchkiss sway bar.)
Old Aug 8, 2011, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

I upgraded up rear endlinks to SSP ones, with my hotchkis sways, they work great, the fitment was a little tight, due to the sheer thickness of the 32mm bars, but it was worth it. Front ones are fine, you should have no issue with them, but I'd replace the rears while you're under there because chances are you will have to do it anyways.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The other (and some might argue more important) advantage of most after-market end-links is that they are adjustable. You do not want a pre-load on either swaybar and adjustable end-links are how you avoid this.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 08:28 AM

Racingline Performance Endlinks. Work great especially if you live in the snow belt! Front and Rear on our EVO X MR with Whiteline rear sway. I did break my rear endlinks from Racingline. I had them set too long in length and had them on the stiffest setting on the rear sways. I went up a very steep drive way and "Snap!". Just follow the directions carefully. I have the new rears set at stock length and no problems whatsoever...I've been up and down that same steep driveway every week. I took pics of the broken endlink and sent to Racingline and they diagnosed the problem and sent out my new set quickly. Very responsive CS. No problems so far. A couple guys have broken the Whiteline ones around me.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

sorry to jack the thread..
do i really need the front sway bar ?
my car is most weekend car, canyon, and track maybe?..
Old Aug 10, 2011, 05:35 AM

Thanks for the info everyone! I decided to go ahead and buy the whiteline front & rear end links. I'll see how well the hold up next month when I start autocrossing.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

i just installed front and rear whiteline's and I don't know why I didn't do it sooner. Car feels 100% better. I also autox a couple of times a month so I'll let you know how it does after this weekend. It will be the first event with them in, but just on the streets the car feels amazing. I'm running the stock end links right now and have both bars set at medium. We'll see how they hold up.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

Great!! Let us updated
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:23 AM

Yeah I just installed a whiteline RSB as well. Feels awesome, sharper in a turn. No rear end links yet, Ill see if I can bend the stock ones at my next track day first...
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by deludedbuzz
Yeah I just installed a whiteline RSB as well. Feels awesome, sharper in a turn. No rear end links yet, Ill see if I can bend the stock ones at my next track day first...
yes! pls let us updated about that stock links
so u just installed the Rear Bar right? im about to pull the trigger... keep us updated thx!
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by genelee112601
yes! pls let us updated about that stock links
so u just installed the Rear Bar right? im about to pull the trigger... keep us updated thx!
Will do. That said I also have to wrap the sway bar in teflon, just used grease for now and it's squeaking now. Also wouldn't mind if I can get whiteline to send me an anti walk tab kit (if they have one.)
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

Just still thinking for the front.. I heard that front is crazy to install...
Since I do the work on car and I don't have a lift...
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by genelee112601
Just still thinking for the front.. I heard that front is crazy to install...
Since I do the work on car and I don't have a lift...
Yeah the front involves dropping the front subframe which sounds like a ton of work. I think I remember some people doing it on jacks and not a lift.

Also my friend who had front and rear hotchkiss swaybars now thinks he didn't really need the front.

Quick Reply: Upgrading Sway Bar End Links: Is it neccessary?