Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

KW Variant 3 Review

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
Now you understand, coilivers are not about adjustment numbers or any kind of numbers.
it is all about the way they working and the feedback you get from them. Which cant be described by 39 way adjustments ... lol
Agreed! And I'm sure you can actually tell a difference on every adjustment on these compared to clicking 15 times before you feel anything on a Chinese made coilover.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
In their defense - although I don't why I would do this - the adjusters on 99% of all Asian shocks are two-way bleeders. Therefore, for the first half or so of their adjustment range, they only have an effect at very high piston speeds, which means no effect on rebound at all and only an effect when you hit a really nasty bump at a relatively high ground speed. They are having an effect, in other words; you just aren't feeling it because you rarely get piston speeds of 10+ inches per second unless you live on a very bad street and drive like my brother.

With that said, Dutch stuff pwns Asian stuff, if you like a good generalization.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by h4ckluserr
I will preface this entire review by saying. These are the best coilovers I have ever used. I've ridden several other brands on different cars before... Megan's, BCs, Godspeed... all that comes to mind but there's one more.

The subjective review. these things during your daily actual feel a bit softer than stock. until you hit a bump... then it's just a sudden flash of pure stiff *** coilover feel. I can't say whether the car handles better or worse. I got back home one day after SCCA ended in Central Florida.

I can't really provide anything objective other than it is a bit lower. I just wanted to share that I am 100% happy with these. fully adjustable is fantastic. they however don't come with any specific camber adjustment. But the lower control arm can handle a couple degree's, which I had to use to correct mine.

all things considered, as I mentioned these are the best coilovers I've ever felt.
are you saying its stiff over bumps? that kinda goes against the first part where you said they feel softer than stock...
Old Jan 4, 2012, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by lakay888
If your happy now , wait till you get this corner weighed and balanced with kmac camber plates the possibilities is endless, great coils
I think to say the KW V3 has endless possibilities really a bold statement though. They are a very good entry level suspensions, that is all.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These don't include camber plates? My zeals was complete package for around similar cost. What spring rates did you get and are these out of Germany?

And do get corner balancing - drastic difference!

Some vendor couldn't even tell me the spring rate!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Spring rates on off the shelf KW V3s are 8/9 f/r.

You don't get camber plates but you get better coilovers. I did not want camber plates because of noise. If I did I would pay for Vorslag anyway.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spyderx
These don't include camber plates? My zeals was complete package for around similar cost. What spring rates did you get and are these out of Germany?

And do get corner balancing - drastic difference!

Some vendor couldn't even tell me the spring rate!
At this level suspensions camber plates are not really needed. Specially for dd. The camber where you nees plates, are eating tires like crazy, and for dd you need to constantly check them make sure they are still on the right position.
Oem hats are problme free, eats up pot holes much better and they are not noisy, keep the tires in better shape (less camber) etc. Also for high camber you need a tire which is accept it - match with it in performance.
Most if the entry level applications, and for use this is the best option.
Camber plates at entry level usually are nothing more then a bling. Which is fine, but really doesn't necessarily.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jan 4, 2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by warmmilk
are you saying its stiff over bumps? that kinda goes against the first part where you said they feel softer than stock...
Yeah. I'll expand on that statement. Cruising around town doing normal driving over average roads, they feel great. The second you hit a drastic bump, or maybe a drop in the pavement(going through construction we'll say) you can tell you are on full coilovers.

A decent anology comes to mind. imagine your seatbelt... you pull slowly it moves smooth... but you give it a good tug and it stiffens right up. it's kind of like that.

As someone said, they are 8/9 F/R

The discussion on Camber plates, I can agree they are unnecessary at this level of coilover. your stock LCA can put you at 2.5 degrees and that's more than you need on the street imo. But they can of course be set in plates if you have a need/desire.

As for running an AutoX event... I want too sooooo bad. I'm deployed right now, and on my last break central florida autox was finished already
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:28 AM

Glad you made the decision to get a set of QUALITY coilovers. A lot of people buy cheap Chinese made coilovers like the ones you listed plus Fortune and think they're awesome, but that's because they haven't tried coilovers like KW, Bilstein, Ohlins etc etc etc. The difference between a China made shock and a quality made shock will be HUGE on a road course. Glad you like them.

Old Jan 5, 2012, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by h4ckluserr
Yeah. I'll expand on that statement. Cruising around town doing normal driving over average roads, they feel great. The second you hit a drastic bump, or maybe a drop in the pavement(going through construction we'll say) you can tell you are on full coilovers.
What you're describing corresponds to either progressive or "tri-gressive" valving in bump, but that doesn't match the dyno plots that I've seen. Weird. Is there any chance that the harshness only kicks in when the shocks are packed down? In other words, if a bump occurs out of nowhere vs a bump occurs after some preceding suspension movement, can you feel a difference (and is a bump worse after some preceding movement)?

edit: I am a pinhead. The compression is trigressive at the softer settings; it just happens to be the reverse of the typical plot: http://www.kw-suspension.com/images/...Statistik2.jpg

Note, also, how they have listed the clicks backwards from what you might be used to.

Last edited by Iowa999; Jan 5, 2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
I think to say the KW V3 has endless possibilities really a bold statement though. They are a very good entry level suspensions, that is all.
This is based on personal experience, i've used this coils on 3 different types of motorsports, and still DD on this with a carseat on the back, so what I meant was if your a weekend warrior and daily drive your car and want the bang for the buck save your money and get this coils and I would put this in mid level
Old Jan 5, 2012, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lakay888
This is based on personal experience, i've used this coils on 3 different types of motorsports, and still DD on this with a carseat on the back, so what I meant was if your a weekend warrior and daily drive your car and want the bang for the buck save your money and get this coils and I would put this in mid level
Then we agree
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
We offer them with custom spring rates and plenty of aftersale support to help you set them up.

- Andrew
Usually (prolly always) when people ask about custom spring rates they want stiffer springs... I know I'm weird, but I want softer... Would it be possible to get these with 7 all around or 7/7.5?
Old Jan 7, 2012, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Looking at the plots - http://www.kw-suspension.com/images/...Statistik1.jpg and http://www.kw-suspension.com/images/...Statistik2.jpg - I'd say that you'd have no problem at all running 7/7 with stock valving, but definitely wait for Andrew to say something....
Old Jan 7, 2012, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Looking at the plots - http://www.kw-suspension.com/images/...Statistik1.jpg and http://www.kw-suspension.com/images/...Statistik2.jpg - I'd say that you'd have no problem at all running 7/7 with stock valving, but definitely wait for Andrew to say something....
I know the v3s set up for the street still uses 8/9 springs. As good as mine feel at 9/10 with the right compression setting, I would imagine that the 8/9 would be fine for most people given that the valving is not too different.

Quick Reply: KW Variant 3 Review