Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Steering wheel alignment issue

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2012, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel alignment issue

3 months ago, I had a Robispec street suspension installed on my 08 Evo MR by Robi himself. This was the whole package including coils, bump steer kit, roll center kit, rear sway, an alignment and corner balance. Everything has been great and I love the setup. However, today I ran into an issue. I have emailed Robi about it, and I am just waiting for him to get back to me, but in the meantime, I was hoping someone else might have an idea...

As I was getting on the highway this morning, I realized that my steering wheel was cocked to the left (about 10 o'clock position-wise) in order to keep the car straight. If I just took my hands off the wheel, the car would stay straight, but the wheel was in this 10 o'clock position. This is very odd because the steering wheel to-date since Robi worked on it was pretty much straight, but if anything I had to hold the wheel slightly to the right in order to keep the car straight. I did not hit any big pot holes before getting on the highway or anything like that. Also, upon jerking the wheel left and right, the car seems very unresponsive.

I dont know much about this at all, but it seems like the assembly that holds the steering wheel in place may have worked itself loose? I really have no idea, thats why I'm asking. Any ideas?

-Kenny
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

Couple people seem to be thinking this is a tie rod issue. Thoughts?
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Immediately check that the locking nuts on the outer tie-rods are tight. I really doubt that the steering wheel, column, or rack is the problem. I'm really worried that the tie-rods are loose. This could kill you.

Edit: this post crossed with the above ... clearly, I'm one of those people
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
look at simple things first. check tire pressure.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

I had the car up today. The tie rods and everything else looked fine. I couldnt seem to find anything that was loose or bent. There is really bad tire wear on my front wheels. It looks like bad toe wear. The center tread of the tires is really worn down especially compared to the rear and the insides are pretty eaten up. The insides of the rear are kind of eaten up, but not nearly as bad. Another problem I found was that 1 lug nut on each wheel wasnt tightened enough. One was even missing on the rear!! The last person to touch my wheels was Robi. I really need to talk to him.

Anyway, after rotating the tires, the steering wheel is still cocked to the 10 oclock position. Rotating the tires didnt seem to make any difference, so I'm not so sure wear is the culprit. Also, that would have been more gradual..
Old May 27, 2012, 01:55 AM
Evolving Member

Hi, Im new to the forum but I have been looking thru posts for a few months now.

I was wondering if you ever got a solution to your alignment problem because it sounds like I have the exact same issue. the steering wheel isnt straight but the car drives straight.

any further information on a solution ??
cheers and thanks
Old May 27, 2012, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KGHtheII
I had the car up today. The tie rods and everything else looked fine. I couldnt seem to find anything that was loose or bent. There is really bad tire wear on my front wheels. It looks like bad toe wear. The center tread of the tires is really worn down especially compared to the rear and the insides are pretty eaten up. The insides of the rear are kind of eaten up, but not nearly as bad. Another problem I found was that 1 lug nut on each wheel wasnt tightened enough. One was even missing on the rear!! The last person to touch my wheels was Robi. I really need to talk to him.

Anyway, after rotating the tires, the steering wheel is still cocked to the 10 oclock position. Rotating the tires didnt seem to make any difference, so I'm not so sure wear is the culprit. Also, that would have been more gradual..
Here's the most-likely problem: you have a boat-load of front toe combined with a bad corner-balance. The bad balance is causing one front tire to have more grip and the front toe is causing the tire with more grip to cause the pulling.

Backing up a step, did Robispec tell you to get the car aligned? The largest hole in my theory is that they would not do this and consider the job done. By reputation, this just isn't their style. But if they told you to align the car, then it all makes sense.
Old May 27, 2012, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by elim0
Hi, Im new to the forum but I have been looking thru posts for a few months now.

I was wondering if you ever got a solution to your alignment problem because it sounds like I have the exact same issue. the steering wheel isnt straight but the car drives straight.

any further information on a solution ??
cheers and thanks
Stock suspension or what?
Old May 28, 2012, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Stock suspension or what?
i have pss9 bilsteins which are about 20,000kms old ~
the problem was the reason i got the alignment, along with a knocking in my front left corner.

i got that fixed along with an alignment which cost me more than i expected. the knocking is still faintly there and i still dont know whats causing it !! and the alignment still isnt centred completely. i have gone back and forth to the place (which is known for top suspension work) 3times in the past week, but is still not 100%

Last edited by elim0; May 28, 2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old May 28, 2012, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

There have been several reports of clunking or knocking in the front left. I don't think that there's a definitive or common answer, but I'd start by looking at things related to the swaybar.
Old May 29, 2012, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

cheers, will do !
i read on lancerregister forum that some guy solved it with extreme tightening of the front cross member ??
anyways im taking it back this week and will mention all of this to them. hopefully they can find the issue
Old May 29, 2012, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by elim0
i read on lancerregister forum that some guy solved it with extreme tightening of the front cross member ??
That makes sense and fits the swaybar theory, since the swaybar's brackets are on the crossmember.