Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

JRZ RS1 Suspension Kit Review

Old Apr 27, 2012, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wait, so basically... these coilovers are PERFECT?
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

OP -- I'm curious what made you choose these over the Ohlins. I'm a huge fan of both, as they have been proven time and time again.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JayDub514
OP -- I'm curious what made you choose these over the Ohlins. I'm a huge fan of both, as they have been proven time and time again.
No doubt in my mind that the ohlins are a great suspension setup. Ohlins is my standard when looking for suspension, and from there look up the totem pole. I have used Ohlins over the years on many cars, and specifically on motorcycles and every time has impressed me. Here is the downside though.. while they do offer the performance everyone is looking for and expects from ohlins, they are a tad on the harsh side for DD or normal driving around. By no means do they give a hard ride, just a bit too much for my taste.

This is were the JRZ comes to play. They offer the same if not better performance, while all at the same time keeping your daily ride smooth, and livable.

Everyone has a different set of characteristics they are looking for though. What I think is too soft or too harsh may not be the same as someone else's. I just know first hand how it feels to finally put coils on my car too only find out afterwards that I have ruined the ride comfort, and pushes me to not enjoy the car any longer.

I don't want to make a large investment and be disappointed. I know the performance is there from most suspension setups. They all do well in the performance catagory. Some are single adjustable, some double, triple, and so on. So since they all performed great, what's next........ ride comfort... can I live with them...

This was the basis of my review. Its a great setup, great performance, and rides smooth.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jeffo24
wait, so basically... these coilovers are PERFECT?
Perfect.....

Nah.. nothing is perfect.. but it does come real damn close..
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you made a great purchase. Sure there are other quality coilovers out there, but its your money, get what you want. If everyone were to have the same of everything, then each Evo wouldn't be unique.

I, myself am on Ohlin DFV with 10k springs all around. My wife drives it daily and has no complaints and I autox it on a normal basis and love it.

To each their own. I know JRZ has a great support system...and it definitely sets you apart from the rest.

On a side note, I highly doubt there is anything different about Meullerized Ohlins compared to any other Ohlins you order. Ohlins have such a huge range of adjust-ability and valving out of the box that I doubt anyone is really "re-valving" them. Just pick whatever spring rates you want for your desireed purpose and go set it up.
Old May 1, 2012, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Some are revalved. Meuller's price is not that much different than the original price so he may not be doing that much. One pause I would have with Ohlins is I want to know the setup I am getting is at least not slower than stock and prefer to know it is faster. That means someone has to have tested those coilovers with different spring rates to arrive. Few places do that. I know you can do shock dyno etc but the stopwatch is the ultimate referee.

Sure these are good coilovers. Just not sure what they offer that Ohlins don't at a cheaper price other than exclusivity which is not a reason I would purchase coilovers especially at close to 5K.
Old May 1, 2012, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jimm
Meuller's price is not that much different than the original price so he may not be doing that much.
They become better by simply being in His presence for any measurable amount of time.
Old May 8, 2012, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Spring rates are great, but don't always play out on the shock dyno. I have seen Muellerized test every spring independently to ensure the precision one expects at this price point.

Great write up. Thanks for taking the time to draft this thread knowing full well that people would come in here and question your experience.

Nice work
Old May 8, 2012, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
They become better by simply being in His presence for any measurable amount of time.
lol! Hard to know what is done. I know Fuller and Gt worx actually get different settings from stock...at least for the KWs and there is a test on this website showing the Robispec setup is faster than stock. Have no real idea about Meuller...I just don't know anyone else who does after market work on Ohlins. Know someone with a DSM that loves his stuff.

My big issue with all of these setups actually is the lack of track data. Engine mods show dyno plots to show improvement. I have spent too much time at the track to ever believe another racer when they come up to me and say "x" part is awesome..its worth a second, maybe more. BS most of the time. Only thing I believe is a stopwatch.

If I were these venders or manufactures I would provide track data showing reduced times, increased corning speed, increased corning gs...something OBJECTIVE and with the rest of the package (sway, grip level of tires etc).

Last edited by jimm; May 8, 2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old May 8, 2012, 09:01 PM

JRZs are great... If not the best coil over out there. If my plans end up falling through for my next car, the X will be getting a Set of doubles for track duty.
Old May 8, 2012, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Good point...Mueller has actually done exactly this for specific setups and has posted at various times

Originally Posted by jimm
lol! Hard to know what is done. I know Fuller and Gt worx actually get different settings from stock...at least for the KWs and there is a test on this website showing the Robispec setup is faster than stock. Have no real idea about Meuller...I just don't know anyone else who does after market work on Ohlins. Know someone with a DSM that loves his stuff.

My big issue with all of these setups actually is the lack of track data. Engine mods show dyno plots to show improvement. I have spent too much time at the track to ever believe another racer when they come up to me and say "x" part is awesome..its worth a second, maybe more. BS most of the time. Only thing I believe is a stopwatch.

If I were these venders or manufactures I would provide track data showing reduced times, increased corning speed, increased corning gs...something OBJECTIVE and with the rest of the package (sway, grip level of tires etc).
Old May 19, 2012, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
From someone who has Ohlins DFV's and tracks his car... I'm considering the JRZ RS1's so that I can run more spring rate. I run 700/850# springs in my Evo and I need more rate, but my Ohlins can't handle more spring rate. If I order the JRZ's through Myles @ Racecomp Engineering (Andrew/GTWorx) I can get the shocks valved for the rate I plan to run.... 800/950#

if you're just going to drive it on the street... and run street tires at the track...and run less than 700/850# I'd get the Ohlins.

I love my Ohlins, but I need more rate.

Oh and FYI, Mueller is a thief. Literally a thief. Ask him about stealing tools and engines from Oscar.

For suspension bits I deal with Robi-Spec and RCE/GTWorx. Stand up guys that know their stuff.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm all about the Penske's.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OP, I was wondering if you can let me know what all you had to buy to complete the whole coilover? I'm curious because I'm thinking about going this route as well. Thanks!
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Roen
I'm all about the Penske's.
^
http://www.penskeshocks.com/files/racecar.pdf

How sweet would a set of those valves be?