Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

best tire choice HELP? DRAG and Motor Sport

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2012, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
best tire choice HELP? DRAG and Motor Sport

Hey evoM i need a little help with two things a everyday tire and a drag wheel and tire set up.

1st the car is making around 600who right now and i want to start doing a little motor sports track events with the car. Right now i have a ccw 18x10.5 size rim on the car and i want a sticky tire(that i can launch) but a really good handling tire what would my best options be ?? I was told toyo r888 or toyo R1R

2nd im looking for a rim to fit the evo x stock break system whats the best rim i can get? Also what would be the best slick or (radial) i should run on the car for when i do my 1/4 track days. Slicks would of course be better but what is the best out right now?
Old Jun 4, 2012, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There is no one tire that will do both of what you want. You either must compromise, stress one over the other, or have two sets of wheels and tires.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

At 600HP, I'd focus on a good sticky driving tire. It should launch fairly well, not as well as a dedicated drag tire, but we're AWD so that helps tremendously.

If you can afford both, you're limited to an 18" rim to clear our brakes, so 18x10 is plenty for either. Hoosier A6 for road racing and Hoosier or Mickey Thompson slicks for drag racing.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

An A6 for road racing? Hope his sessions are very short.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

the ccw 18x10.5 i have is going to be used for road racing, but i want something sticky

im going to buy a separate rim and tire for drag racing i need both
Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

R6s or Z214s in a C51 or C31 would be my suggestions.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what road course experience do you have?
Old Jun 4, 2012, 01:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by zabes
this

if you have enough experience to be tracking a 600whp evo you wouldn't be on here asking for tire advise... if you don't have the experience you'll be the guy with a 600 whp car going slower than miata's... and let me tell you, based on some youtube vids those miata's guys really hate that...
Old Jun 4, 2012, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Way to cut right to the heart of it, BFF. I should have realized this when typing Post #2. Remind me again: which of us is the psychologist?
Old Jun 4, 2012, 02:15 PM
EvoM Guru

lol, looks like it was me today...
Old Jun 4, 2012, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Excellent. In that case, I'll go test the two-step with the ASC fully on and you take my five o'clock. Don't worry about having to say anything. Just ask her how her son is doing and sit back. After 50 minutes, kick her out and say that she did some great work today. She'll never know the difference. She's blind as a bat.

I'll split the check with you.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 02:32 PM
EvoM Guru

k, sounds good
Old Jun 5, 2012, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by zabes
i very new to this and im having a professional train me and help me out because i dont want to be going out there thinking im a pro when i know im not. i have been drag racing on the track and in events for years but i went to one small event and got hooked to road racing, everyone starts somewhere.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 09:39 AM
EvoM Guru

it's best to start with a lower grip tire if you're new, when you get used to them and are using the tire to its full potential, then move up to something stickier. You'll be a faster driver that way. It's also not a great idea to start with a 600 hp car either... You'll be doing a ton of part throttle driving that way and it will be harder to learn.

Best way to learn is in something you can push to its limit, a 600 hp evo on super sticky tires doesn't fit that description...
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

I completely agree with the above for any type of racing. You will not only be safer, but you'll probably end up a much better driver. People considering autocrossing, for example, should just flip the front camber bolts, add 15mm spacers, get it aligned, and run in STU for a year. Yeah, you might be slower than the SM Evos, but you'll end up a better driver and could easily out-PAX them by the end of the summer. As to safety, note that some forms of racing force you to follow the suggested path; in rallying, for example, you must prove yourself in a FWD before you're allowed to run an Evo. The suggested first car for this is an old Rabbit or GTi.

Quick Reply: best tire choice HELP? DRAG and Motor Sport