Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Tire reviews: Post your data

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:22 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Tire reviews: Post your data

Tire choice effects the handling of a car more than anything else I can think of, and the amount of data given to the driver is vast and overwhelming at times. To compound matters, it's also very subjective, and one driver might have different needs than another.

I'm not going to pretend that I have nearly the level of expertise of someone like Smike or Iowa on this, but I can provide relevant information about my experiences, in hopes that it will aid some of you. I had to check my posting history and time lines to get my facts straight on the mileages here, so everything will be as clear as possible. All qualifications and apologetics aside, here goes.

Advan A13C (OEM)
Size: 245/40/18
Alignment: Factory stock, unchecked
Mileage lasted: Poor- 9000 miles
Grip: Good
Ride: Good
Sidewall feel: Moderately stiff
Notes: Good grip and ride, became noisy at 8000 miles, and just intolerable by 9000 to the point I had to replace them. While they do a nice job of showcasing the handling potential of the Evo, their replacement cost and short life prevents me from ever considering a replacement set.

Dunlop Z1 Star Spec
Alignment: -1.8 camber front, -1.1 camber rear, zero toe all around
Mileage lasted: Very good- 19000 miles
Grip: Excellent
Ride: Very good
Sidewall feel: Moderately soft
Notes: Performance, life, and ride are big improvement over stock. These are just great tires all the way around. Since that time, I have been trying other tires, but these have shown themselves to be peerless. The only place I can ding them is that they can become a bit greasy in extreme heat.

Nitto NT05
Mileage lasted: Dismal- 8000 miles
Grip: Fair
Ride: Poor
Sidewall feel: Very stiff
Notes: Don't buy into the hype, Nitto tires still suck. Although the sidewall is stiff, these require a lot of heat for grip to become apparent, which would make them appropriate for the track. On the street, though, they flop- Very hard, cold, and lifeless. I hated them from day one. Not much tread, they became loud around 6000 miles. By 8000 miles, they were close to the wear bars, my tires were much louder than my exhaust, and I replaced them. Goodbye trash.

Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Mileage lasted: New tires
Grip: Too early to tell
Ride: Excellent
Sidewall feel: Soft
Notes: I drove on a friend's set of these, and was sucked in enough by the mileage rating to try them. I probably only have 60 miles on them so far, but they are extremely squirmy. They are rated to accept a 9.5" wide wheel, which I have, so I am hopeful it's that they are just too new and need to break in. Meanwhile, the jury is out. Wheel at center feels strange, with a slight tendency to float at speed, and the car feels a lot more nervous at interstate speeds. I'd hold the wheel with a relaxed left hand before, but now have two hands on and am remaining alert. I

I hope that others will use this thread in a similar manner, posting their experiences, so we can see how other Evos are responding to tires long term. Thanks for reading!
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hankook R-S3
Alignment: -1.9 camber front, -1.2 camber rear, zero toe all around
Mileage lasted: not very good ... half dead in 7k
Grip: excellent, especially with some heat in them
Ride: not good (see next)
Sidewall feel: very stiff
Notes: Probably some of the best dry-grip tires that are cheap(ish). Not that good when wet and pretty bad when there are puddles and suicidal on snow or ice.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timely post; my Evo X is getting Star Specs today. My VIII has had them for quite some time now.

My stock tires on my '11 Evo X MR lasted 12,500 miles. They've really fallen off in the last month, and I will bid them a very permanent farewell.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hankook Ventus V4 ES
Alignment: Factory stock, unchecked
Mileage lasted: New Tires
Grip: Fair
Sidewall feel: Moderately soft
Notes: Replaced the Advans with these, have about 150 miles on them. Drives MUCH softer than the OEM tires and very quiet. Took them through some twisties yesterday and the softer sidewall is definitely noticable. But they dont let go and still grip very well, will need to test them in snow this winter.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:00 AM

This is from my tracked 2012 Boss 302, so hope that's OK - the tire info should be relevant regardless...

Bridgestone RE-11
Size: 255/40/19 / 295/30/19 (staggered)
Alignment: -2.5 Camber Front
Mileage lasted: 5000+, as well as four track weekends, still going
Sidewall feel: Firm, sharp
Notes: Replaced Pirelli P-Zero's with these as a DD/HPDE weekend tire. Tons of grip and never got greasy on the track no matter how hard I pushed. Easy to "read" tire with lots of feedback, plenty of warning before it lets go. Tires still have perhaps another 3-4 track weekends in them, or probably another 2 years of DD if I didn't track them again. Very, very good in the rain as well. A bit of road noise, and these tires are a bit heavier than similarly sized tires in the category for whatever reason. Still, the only real con is the price - ouch.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta
Size: 245/40/17
Alignment: Factory setup after install
Mileage lasted: 18000 miles on my tuned Audi S4
Sidewall: Stiff enough for spirited driving but still comfortable.
Notes: Excellent wet and dry traction. No traction on snow, don't even try. Ultra quiet. Difficult to get a hold of but the price was good $600 for the set. It was difficult to find a shop that would put them on after they came. (Not available from tirerack). Would highly recommend for summer driving. I will likely buy these for this next summer driving season. These tires have a fast look to them.

Bf-Goodrich g-force KDW 2
Size: 245/40/17 on my Evo VIII
Mileage lasted: 10000 miles, I totaled the car before replacing these though they were close to replacement time. (May have contributed to the accident)
Ride: Stiff, felt like Fred Flinstone rolling down the road.
Sidewall: Stiff!
Notes: Loud as hell on the road! Not really good for a daily driver. Really aggressive look.

michelin pilot super sport A/S
Size:265/40/18 on my X GSR
Alignment: slight camber up front
Mileage lasted: They were on the car when I bought it, I've added 10k miles 2 rotations so far (still lots of tread)
Grip: very good dry and excellent wet.
Ride: Firm but not unreasonable (might just be the car itself)
Sidewall: Stiff but reasonable.
Notes: Probably the best A/S tire I've driven on. (sporty looking but not so aggressive looking)

Continental DWS extreme contact
Size: 245/40/18 On my all stock X MR
Mileage lasted: New tires maybe a few hundred miles.
Grip: Excellent only really driven on wet roads so far
Sidewall: Soft very comfortable probably not good for real hard driving but I haven't tried it yet. Not a real sporty or aggressive looking tire.

Last edited by thegoodservant; Nov 6, 2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JMac
Size: 255/40/19 / 295/30/19 (staggered)
I'll bet you meant 255/35/19 fronts.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:04 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hankook V12 Evo

Size: 235/45/17
Alignment: -1.7/ -1.5
Mileage lasted: ~10K
Sidewall feel: Relatively soft
Notes: 99% street, excellent in the rain, don't turn into rocks below 45F, relatively little tire noise, forgiving and predictable at their limit, greasy when very hot. Bought two sets.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Continental DW ExtremeContact

Size: 265/35/18
Alignment: don't remember
Mileage lasted: ~13k (still going)
Grip: Good. They're great in the rain, btw.
Ride: Was good until I inflated them for autocross.
Sidewall feel: stiff
Notes: Do not expect this tire to be as good as stock during hard driving (i.e. on the track). Mine started chunking after a while just because they overheated. Although that could be due to higher pressure. Stockers meanwhile ran fine on autocross and never really chunked to this level.

Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60

Alignment: don't remember
Mileage lasted: have like less than 2k on them, and they're waiting for this winter.
Grip: Crappy on dry, but then again it's not really a dry tire. Snow, didn't have a chance to use them yet.
Ride: Very good.
Sidewall feel: Soft.
Notes: If you want to have some fun in the dry/wet, these are the tires for you. I'll try to remember to post back after I have some snow use on them.
Update: So after our first snowfall here, I went home quickly and mounted these. Then later on I went out to have some fun. These have GREAT traction in the snow when you want and let you have fun when you don't.

Last edited by vegittoss15; Nov 9, 2012 at 01:00 PM. Reason: I lied, had the wrong tire name
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
But but, I have driven/tested dozens

I'll keep this to what I have on my cars currently. And I wont re-review Dunlop Z1 StarSpec, Conti DW, Mich Pilot SuperSport, Hankook RS3 or Evo V12s.

Goodyear Eagle RS RC
Vehicle: 1998 Mustang GT Performance Touring B Trim
Size: 255/45ZR16
Alignment: -3.5 / 0
Mileage lasted: 10 heat cycles
Sidewall feel: Sharp turn in response
Notes: Razor handling and very sharp turn in response. Linear grip at limits with a linear release at ultimate grip. Good in wet at misting levels. Dangerous in moderate rain or sub 50F. Heat cycle life good. Drive to cords.

Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar G:2
Vehicle: 2011 Mustang Time Trial C Prepped
Size: 265/40ZR19
Alignment: -2.5 / 0
Mileage lasted: @ 5000mi with 70% left
Sidewall feel: Sharp turn in response
Notes: Crisp handling and sharp turn in response. Linear grip at limits with a linear release at ultimate grip. Quiet ride and moderate wet grip. Not great in sub 50F as well. Really a late spring through early fall tire.

Goodyear Assurance TripleTred All-Season
Vehicle: 2008 Lancer GTS
Size: 215/60R16 (winter setup)
Alignment: Factory Stock
Mileage lasted: 5000mi with 99% remaining (look new)
Ride: Firm
Sidewall feel: Firm turn in response
Notes: Great all-around tire for sporty and 4 season use. Excellent wet traction and response. Good snow abilities.

Goodyear Assurance TripleTred All-Season
Vehicle: 2008 Lancer GTS
Size: 215/45R18 (summer setup)
Mileage lasted: 40000mi with 3/32nds remaining
Ride: Firm
Sidewall feel: Firm
Notes: Decent 3 season tire. Decent dry grip when new and much better when 60% life and under. Trade off is wet handling. Best when new. W-rated very grippy and good on track (old wet tire on SVTF race car).

Dunlop Graspic DS-3
Vehicle: 2004 Ralliart
Size: 205/50R16 (winter setup)
Mileage lasted: 20000
Grip: Dry - moderate. Wet - very good. Snow - awesome.
Ride: Soft
Notes: Ultra siped tread blocks with a very square contact patch. Bears in the winter weather. Zero issues running in heavy, wet, snowfalls. Dry grip? They are snows. Treat them accordingly.

Goodyear ComforTred Touring
Vehicle: 2005 Galant GTS
Size: 215/55R17
Mileage lasted: 10000 with 85% life left
Notes: Touring tire for sedan. Good in wet. OK in dry. Can manage light snow. Quiet and smooth ride.

General Altimax Arctic
Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Size: 215/45R17
Mileage lasted: 15000 with 65% life left
Grip: Dry - moderate. Wet - good. Snow - pretty good.
Notes: Classic snow tire. Ran previously on my 2002 SVT Focus as its winter setup. Handled NH winters without a problem. Still trucking with 65% life left. Might not be great in massive storm, but they will do the business for winter.

Goodyear UltraGrip R (old rally tires)
Vehicle: 1991 Honda DX
Size: 155/80R13
Mileage lasted: New
Grip: Unknown for now - hey, they're rally tires...
Ride: Stiff
Sidewall feel: Stiff
Notes: Don't ask me how I got them.

I have notes on Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season, Eagle F1 Asymmetric and Asymmetric 2, and a few others. If people want to see those I can dig them up too.

Last edited by Smike; Nov 7, 2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:57 PM
Evolving Member

Yokohama Advan Neova AD08
Alignment: slightly more aggressive than stock
Mileage lasted: N/A
Sidewall feel: Faster reacting and more comfortable than stock
Notes: Insane grip in the dry (and above-freezing), pretty commendable in the wet, scary in the frozen. These are extreme/ultra/mega/crazy performance summer-only tires. Not apples-apples comparison with stock since I stuck these on bigger/lighter wheels, but they dramatically improved the car's handling without negatively affecting the ride or noise levels. If you drive your Evo at 5 AM on roads with 4-digit names, this is your tire.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

2010 Ralliart Sportback
Federal 595-SS
Alignment: -1.6* -1.2*
Mileage lasted: 6 track days and ~roughly
Ride: Nervous
Sidewall: Firm, held up to extreme cornering w/o rolling over
Notes: Perferomed surprising well for the first 4 track days (5-6 sessions per). Dessimated by the 6th, but then again the SS is their Street and the RSR is their Track tire. After several events, due to the center pattern, the rubber had a tendency to "flex and move" on the freeway w/ any road imperfections, giving the car a nervous feel. But they heat cycled surprising well.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G:1
Interested to hear from Smike his opionions. Since the G:2's are out, G:1's are available for DEEP discounts (255/45/18 for $110) so I scooped them up last weekend. Track day in 2 weeks, but already very impressed with how sticky they are.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
has anyone had both StarSpec's and AD08's?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
$110 is a steal! Developed for the Corvette originally. Lots of racing knowledge in that tire as well (as with the G:2).

Here is one example of some race tricks:

As they wear down the dry grip increases a good amount. As you see all thread elements at their base are solid; result will be reduced tread squirm at new and once worn below tread elements (when 5 solid circumferential rings) a solid track tire.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Advan A13C (OEM)
Alignment: Re-aligned to factory after purchase (The alignment was way off when it was bought)
Mileage lasted: Ok - ~15000
Notes: Noisy, but a fairly sticky tire.

Yoko S. Drive
Size: 275/35/18 XL
Alignment: -2.5 camber front, -2.5 camber rear, zero toe all around
Mileage lasted: Very good- ~35000 miles (Flipped/ran inside out)
Notes: These are just great tires all the way around. They are super quiet, and make no noise, even up to the point of a loss of traction. Unfortunately they have gone up in price significantly for this particular size. They are getting towards their end of life on the edges, but the centers still show 50%+ life left.

Last edited by AWDTerror; Nov 8, 2012 at 07:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Tire reviews: Post your data