Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

DId some suspension upgrades.. question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DId some suspension upgrades.. question

well I bit the bullet got myself a nice set of KW3 with a roll center kit ( thanks to the suspension gurus here)
Long story short during the alignment , the shop didn't tighten my toe bolt , and during my drive home , it became loose and essentially caused some frame damage. Got it repaired but opted out from the stock rear eccentric bolts therefore I got a whiteline Lateral Link-Adjust Rear Camber Kit , and a whiteline sway bar to complement it.

the only think I forgot to get was Whiteline Adjustable Heavy Duty Rear Sway Bar End Links

I am daily driving and not tracking the car for the next few months.
Is it a big necessity to upgrade these end links right away with this big sway bar?

Thanks.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

probably not
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FastAttack
well I bit the bullet got myself a nice set of KW3 with a roll center kit ( thanks to the suspension gurus here)
Long story short during the alignment , the shop didn't tighten my toe bolt , and during my drive home , it became loose and essentially caused some frame damage. Got it repaired but opted out from the stock rear eccentric bolts therefore I got a whiteline Lateral Link-Adjust Rear Camber Kit , and a whiteline sway bar to complement it.

the only think I forgot to get was Whiteline Adjustable Heavy Duty Rear Sway Bar End Links

I am daily driving and not tracking the car for the next few months.
Is it a big necessity to upgrade these end links right away with this big sway bar?

Thanks.
Well, right away? No, but you will want to do it to realize the benefit of the sway bar. A big ol' bar with itty bitty end links will cause some deflection, as the end link will flex because the bar won't. My understanding (Iowa?) is that the deflection is not linear so, it's not just a question of getting a little more roll than you would with a bigger end link but in having the link flex in something of a different direction. OK, finally, I have seen stock links break with a bigger sway bar at the track. I wouldn't expect that to be a problem as a DD but you'll want to consider swapping them out before too long.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

appreciate it just broke the bank big time on my late christmas present.

I got an alignment but I know for sure a corner balance is in place.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:33 AM
Evolved Member

Was the car making noise with your loose toe bolt? Or was the toe part of the alignment just all over the place? Reason I'm wondering is I'm going for an alignment next week with my new set up and want to make sure everything goes well.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by btownsoccer22
Was the car making noise with your loose toe bolt? Or was the toe part of the alignment just all over the place? Reason I'm wondering is I'm going for an alignment next week with my new set up and want to make sure everything goes well.
I was driving down the road, and essentially my car started to wooble bad ... pulled over , when I saw the toe bolt I noticed something odd , like the whole thing had spun out. Called the tow truck and took it to my friends shop , he diagnosed it further , and he found out that the alignment place had essentially over turned the eccentric bolt and squashed the washer against the frame.

When doing so the bolt has play , and essentially with the crushed washer the washer bent inwards. Also by doing so it made the little rabbit ears bend into the frame.

He quickly showed me how loose the bolt was when he was able to turn it by hand.

So make sure you inspect the bolts after they are done with the alignment
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:46 PM

^...Nice catch!