Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Brembo Race Kit

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2013, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brembo Race Kit

So I have my eye set on a Brembo Race Kit, based on these calipers. I know everyone will say these are way overkill, Fall-Line has. But one of my goals at some point would be to do some enduro racing events, so I'm thinking I should take the plunge now rather than later. Our current option is the Alcon Race Kit, not the Advantage Street kit. Thoughts?

I'm also looking at the groove type of the rotors trying to decide which would be best. At this point is between Type 3 and Types 5. Anyone have any feedback on which would be best and why?

Old Mar 2, 2013, 05:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
If you're gonna buy race brakes, you should ask people who build real race cars (and I don't mean track cars, I mean real race cars, not a bunch of people on the forum...
Old Mar 2, 2013, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by warmmilk
If you're gonna buy race brakes, you should ask people who build real race cars (and I don't mean track cars, I mean real race cars, not a bunch of people on the forum...
Thanks for the input. I'm working with Fall-Line Motorsports and this is their field. Just wanted to see if anyone had any past experiences. Didn't think it would hurt to ask, there are some pretty knowledgeable people on this forum.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I presume, as part of he build, you are or have, removed abs, ayc, and are installing a bias bar setup?
Old Mar 2, 2013, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Johnr352
I presume, as part of he build, you are or have, removed abs, ayc, and are installing a bias bar setup?
We are removing ABS and simply manually disabling ayc. Hadn't looked at the bias bar setup.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 01:14 PM

Will these clear the stock enkei's or is a spacer necessary?
Old Mar 3, 2013, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

Not sure if the 6 piston version will clear them. Here are the Ralliart Brembo Race kit, and I think they do clear the stock Enkei's

BRAKE KIT FRONT TARMAC AXLE $7110.55
XA7.G0.XX

BRAKE KIT REAR AXLE $4805.44
XA7.GO.ZZ

Included parts:

BRAKE CALIPER FRONT LH
XA5.T0.03

BRAKE CALIPER FRONT RH
XA5.T0.04

BRAKE CALIPER REAR LH
XA7.G0.11

BRAKE CALIPER REAR RH
XA7.G0.12

BRAKE DISC ASSY TARMAC FR LH
XA7.G0.31

BRAKE DISC ASSY TARMAC FR RH
XA7.G0.32

BRAKE DISC ASSY REAR LH
XA7.G0.23

BRAKE DISC ASSY REAR RH
XA7.G0.24
Old Mar 3, 2013, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Why Brembos? Unless you need to get them for homologation reasons, I would get almost anything else.

As to the idea of racing with the AYC rear still in the car but disabled ... that's crazy. It'll be an open diff. And a really heavy one that causes extra driveline losses.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Why Brembos? Unless you need to get them for homologation reasons, I would get almost anything else.
I'm open to input this is why I started the thread. Right now we still have the Alcon Racing kit as first option.

As to the idea of racing with the AYC rear still in the car but disabled ... that's crazy. It'll be an open diff. And a really heavy one that causes extra driveline losses.
I have been looking at the Cusco and Ralliart LSD setups for both the front and the back, but still looking into this. I have to talk to AMS about differences and benefits, since they will be doing the work. I'm also all ears on this one. Give me some advice
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Alcons sound good. Wilwoods are also good and about a quarter the cost of (and less weight than) Brembos, with equal or better pad choices. But I'd call someone like Todd at TCE who knows all the options. All I know for sure is that the Brembos for Group-N are incredibly expensive, heavy, and won't stop the car as well as my Wilwoods. Thank goodness I'm a duffer and don't care about homologation.

As to the rear diff, why are you giving up the AYC? It's fantastic and a lot of why these cars are so good. Just get the controller from something like an RS, which works without the ABS. Ask Rob (as in RobEvo) or someone else who has an X with no ABS what they did. But don't give it up. Maybe swap in a soft-locking Cusco inside it, but keep the AYC function.

The front diff is fine and doesn't need to be replaced. What's better than a helical in the front of an AWD?
Old Mar 4, 2013, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

Alcons sound good. Wilwoods are also good and about a quarter the cost of (and less weight than) Brembos, with equal or better pad choices. But I'd call someone like Todd at TCE who knows all the options. All I know for sure is that the Brembos for Group-N are incredibly expensive, heavy, and won't stop the car as well as my Wilwoods. Thank goodness I'm a duffer and don't care about homologation.

As to the rear diff, why are you giving up the AYC? It's fantastic and a lot of why these cars are so good. Just get the controller from something like an RS, which works without the ABS. Ask Rob (as in RobEvo) or someone else who has an X with no ABS what they did. But don't give it up. Maybe swap in a soft-locking Cusco inside it, but keep the AYC function.

The front diff is fine and doesn't need to be replaced. What's better than a helical in the front of an AWD?
Thanks for the input on the Brembo's I hear ya loud and clear. This is the type I was looking for.

Thanks for the input on the diff, definitely make sense.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't know much about enduro, but an added benefit of the mass in the brembo's over the wilwood is that its heat capacity will be much higher. Meaning it can absorb much more heat vs transferring ALL of its heat into the pad/rotor, which would theoretically lead to a lower chance of brake fade.

Something to think about, but then again i'm not experienced in endurance race setups.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

You want thermal capacity in the rotor, not the caliper. The caliper should be as light as possible while still being rigid.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 02:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would use the Gran Turismo kit instead. 6-pot monoblock calipers with 355x32 floating disks.

Excellent quality and great value to money!! I have it in my car and it works like a dream for road (circuit) racing.

You DO NOT need any FIA homologated solution which are ridiculously overpriced unless you plan to race in rally championship or racing championship (ALMS etc.)

As far as lsd's are concerned you should go with the best racing lsd's you can afford and also buy an aftermarket programmable racing controller for the ACD. I use RALLIART front and rear lsd and MoTeC MDC (ACD controller). Then you should learn to drive your car (new behavior due to the lsd's) and finally program the controller according to your diving style and needs.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

If you have a 9 (as you do), then I agree. But the OP has an X. Why people with Xs are giving up the AYC is beyond me.

Quick Reply: Brembo Race Kit