Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

TPMS Cloning Problemo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2015, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPMS Cloning Problemo

So a while back I bought a second set of wheels so that I could have a summer set and a winter set. Great idea right?

However, the winter tires (which was the new set i bought with the rims), caused the TPMS Maintenance required error. Took the car back to the dealer (with my summer tires which had the OEM sensors in them) and after about half an hour they swore by god that they had taken the TPMS codes from each of the summer tires and cloned them onto the winter tires. Went back home and dropped off the summer tires and drove around for a bit. The TPMS error never managed to disappeared from the dash.

They ended up just unmounting my winter and summer tires and putting the OEM TPM sensors back in.

Am i missing something? I feel like the cloning should have worked right? I've seen a couple forums where guys are offering services doing essentially the same thing.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 07:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by akride907
So a while back I bought a second set of wheels so that I could have a summer set and a winter set. Great idea right?

However, the winter tires (which was the new set i bought with the rims), caused the TPMS Maintenance required error. Took the car back to the dealer (with my summer tires which had the OEM sensors in them) and after about half an hour they swore by god that they had taken the TPMS codes from each of the summer tires and cloned them onto the winter tires. Went back home and dropped off the summer tires and drove around for a bit. The TPMS error never managed to disappeared from the dash.

They ended up just unmounting my winter and summer tires and putting the OEM TPM sensors back in.

Am i missing something? I feel like the cloning should have worked right? I've seen a couple forums where guys are offering services doing essentially the same thing.
Evo x's can only store one set of tpms codes on the ecu at a time. Unless the sensors are truly cloneable like the Alligator Sensit brand it wont work. The sensit ones are the only ones that I know work 100%. I have programmed sensors for tons of X's succesfully.

Last edited by TPMS N.G.S.; Mar 18, 2015 at 07:16 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vouch for 100% working sensors.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 05:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I think on the drive home the car was reading the tpms sensors from your summer tires because they were in your car. The winter tires you were driving on "did not exist" to the car. When you removed the summer tires from the trunk/backseat whatever the car started looking for the tpms sensor IDs it has stored and could not find them in proximity. So dash light.
Dealership (selling OEM sensors) can't clone the sensor. OEM ID tags are set and not changeable. The car can only store and read one set. So someone at the dealership sold you a good story but not a good fix.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ghozt
Yeah I think on the drive home the car was reading the tpms sensors from your summer tires because they were in your car. The winter tires you were driving on "did not exist" to the car. When you removed the summer tires from the trunk/backseat whatever the car started looking for the tpms sensor IDs it has stored and could not find them in proximity. So dash light.
Dealership (selling OEM sensors) can't clone the sensor. OEM ID tags are set and not changeable. The car can only store and read one set. So someone at the dealership sold you a good story but not a good fix.
Well last I checked arent the TPMS sensors kineticly activated anyway? It wouldnt have mattered if i had both sets in the car. Only one set was spinning and actually active.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 02:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by akride907
Well last I checked arent the TPMS sensors kineticly activated anyway? It wouldnt have mattered if i had both sets in the car. Only one set was spinning and actually active.
There are a couple of things at play here.

The OEM sensors could have been emitting a signal for a while after they were taken off the car. Sensors do not go dormant instantly after they stop moving.

or..

The car sometimes takes a while before the TPMS memory clears. I have swapped non tpms tires into a car and the warning light has not come on for 30 minutes.