Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

installed giro disc magic pads

Old Nov 27, 2015, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installed giro disc magic pads

Installed my Girodisc magic pads last weekend on my stock rotors, took all of 12 mins for the front and about 10 for the rears.

Name:  IMG_4911_zpsvjlrnmnd.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  175.5 KB

- anyone have a suggestion for a tool to use to help pound out the retainer pins? i used a small phillips head but managed to scratch my caliper a little.

- in all ive had about 800 miles on them this week (give or take) and awesome, no noise, great stopping power, and what seems to be less dust.

- think I'm gonna do some brakeman slotted rotors next month or rotor pros with the black zinc plating. i dunno i keep reading both good and bad reviews,
Old Nov 28, 2015, 12:07 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Use a nail set with a diameter slighly smaller.

I had problems stopping in the rain with magic pads.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

- eh, thankfully it never rains in southern ca
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used a small punch and just gave it a slight tap. Very easy though. Love these pads so far, have had them on for about 8,000 miles. 👌
Old Nov 29, 2015, 08:44 PM

Did the same thing when installing my Giro Disc pads, RIP caliper.. :c

My stock pads were squeaking so bad it would turn heads.. I swapped them for the GiroDisc ones but less than 100 miles later, it's back to squeaking.. out of ideas. Gonna detail it this week and see if cleaning again helps, but this is getting old real fast.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 06:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xdownfalll
Did the same thing when installing my Giro Disc pads, RIP caliper.. :c

My stock pads were squeaking so bad it would turn heads.. I swapped them for the GiroDisc ones but less than 100 miles later, it's back to squeaking.. out of ideas. Gonna detail it this week and see if cleaning again helps, but this is getting old real fast.
I put the supplied grease on every single peice, front and back of everything , shims and all.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Use permatex purple ceramic. Best brake lube on the market.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 04:47 PM

Oh, I'll look into that. Mine did not come with grease so I had to buy brake grease locally.. I'll look into that Purple Ceramic, if I find it guess I'll take them all back out and re-do them..

Old Jan 14, 2016, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

I am curious how these pads are holding up for you? I have been running Girodisk 2 piece rotors and raybestos pads for a little over a year and they tore my rotors up. Wore them down pretty quick. I just ordered new rings and the Magic Pads for the street and will run the Raybestos on the track. I think it's going to be tough at first going from Raybestos to a regular pad but I need the rotors to last longer so I have to run a regular pad for DD.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 02:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Uscbryan
I am curious how these pads are holding up for you? I have been running Girodisk 2 piece rotors and raybestos pads for a little over a year and they tore my rotors up. Wore them down pretty quick. I just ordered new rings and the Magic Pads for the street and will run the Raybestos on the track. I think it's going to be tough at first going from Raybestos to a regular pad but I need the rotors to last longer so I have to run a regular pad for DD.
I suggest looking into Girodisc SS pads then. No surprise the ST43's ate your rotors at street temperature.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

I want the pads that are easiest on the rotors for DD so the regular pads will be fine. If I wasn't going to change pads for the track I would probably get the SS pads. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Yea it's my fault. When I was researching the pads and girodisk the site said they were "easy on disks" but they were talking about for track pads. I misread it.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 03:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Uscbryan
I want the pads that are easiest on the rotors for DD so the regular pads will be fine. If I wasn't going to change pads for the track I would probably get the SS pads. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Then I highly recommend the Performance Friction 1001.11 brake pads. Under $90 and work awesome for a street pad. I've been using them daily for two years now.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

I'll look into those for next time. I already ordered the rings and pads.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Then I highly recommend the Performance Friction 1001.11 brake pads. Under $90 and work awesome for a street pad. I've been using them daily for two years now.
Any suggestion on the least dust?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 04:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
I had a bad brake squeal issue with my older pads too. I switched to Magic Pads. Even after being paired with brand new rotors they still screamed all over town, dusted like crazy, and didn't brake well enough for me. After getting fed up with them, I calmly removed them and carefully threw them away.

Then I bought EBC red stuff pads. After the 200 mile break in period and a short bed in process at the end of it, I never heard a sound again. During the break in period they did make noise too, but it went away for good after the bed in. They also brake HARD. Not Carbotech XP10 Hard, but more than hard enough for daily driving.

-pal215

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: installed giro disc magic pads