Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

High Speed Pulse at specific speed range

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2016, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Speed Pulse at specific speed range

Hey guys,

We got some snow two weekends ago, right after I had changed from winter to summer tires (i thought we were done with winter, fail). I hopped a curb in a roundabout, nicked my rear fender. Its worth noting that my whole car hopped the curb onto sidewalk, right side first then left side.

Anyway, I had a super bad shake at around 40-45 mph in the steering wheel driving home. Parked and took a look at what was going on, and I had broke off a pretty good chunk of the rim on the front left side (gotta buy a replacement one now, lame).

I put my winter set back on and that 40 mph shake went away. However, something else arose. I now have a pulse that I can feel through the chasis (and sort of through the steering wheel) of the car once I hit around 60 mph. Its not super bad, but it is noticable. The steering wheel doesnt shake, but, hands off the wheel; I pull to the left, not hard, but it definitely pulls. When taking a wide LEFT turn at 60 mph, the pulse becomes more pronounced, but not when taking a right.

I got an alignment done immediately after I had switched back to my winter tires. The shop I went to was only a few blocks away, so i didnt get a chance to see if that 60 mph shake was worse or the same pre-alignment.

Now, the really odd thing, is that this pulse in the chasis/steering wheel levels off once I reach 75 mph.

I've taken my fronts off and looked at everything, and nothing appears to look out of the ordinary. I'm not sure what else to take a look at, and I kind of want to avoid writing a blank check for a shop to try and diagnose what the issue is as well.

Any input?? Thanks dudes
Old Mar 17, 2016, 07:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Get the tires balanced and check the drive shaft for any dents or gouges. And check to make sure none of the wheel bearings have gotten sloppy.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Pretty sure you bent a tie rod or you bent a wheel, even if you cant just look at it and notice your wheel may be bent. If you just got an alignment most places warranty the alignment for a little while maybe you could have them throw it up there for you to recheck the alignment I wouldn't really tell them about the curb thing. Then if that checks out check the wheel balance for a bent wheel.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 08:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
Pretty sure you bent a tie rod or you bent a wheel, even if you cant just look at it and notice your wheel may be bent. If you just got an alignment most places warranty the alignment for a little while maybe you could have them throw it up there for you to recheck the alignment I wouldn't really tell them about the curb thing. Then if that checks out check the wheel balance for a bent wheel.
He put his snow wheels back on, which did not experience the adventure over the curb.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
ahhh I guess I missed that part... they prolly gonna be an axle or tie rod.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
ahhh I guess I missed that part... they prolly gonna be an axle or tie rod.
How would you diagnose a bent tie rod? They usually have a bit of play in them to begin with anyway dont they?