Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

How to give Ohlins R&T a little air lift for the bumps?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2016, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Arrow How to give Ohlins R&T a little air lift for the bumps?

I live in a place with a lot of brutal ramps - ramps that scratch the front end hard even when my Evo is on stock struts and with stock bumpers (5.5 inch/140 mm ground clearance). Like all of you, I love to have a properly set up Evo with Ohlins coilovers (thus being an inch or two lower than stock), but being unable to navigate through the ramps at my home, at work, and at the coffeehouse that I frequent makes absolutely no sense.

I have been looking into some ideas. First there is Porsche's front axle lift system:

The challenge with this is that it's questionable if I can even develop or retrofit one for the Evo.

Second, there is Fortune Auto's Air Piston Lift System, with has Evo X-spec air-piston'ed coilovers readily made:

Fortune Auto's coilovers aren't too much behind the Ohlins in regard to performance, but the challenge with this system is the key word "up to 2 inches." In reality, it lifts less than 1 inch:

Originally Posted by Bluehwy
The spring rate on the car above is 7k / 8k. With these spring rates the air pistons will only lift the car an inch max. In order to attain the actual 2 inches you might have to go as low as 4k or 5k.
See full thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101116

I'm sure you can work some modifications on Fortune Auto's design and make it lift 2 inches with increased air pressure, or even going as far as modifying the pistons and mating them to Ohlins coilovers. However, the air pistons' durability and reliability may be significantly worse and this is something that nobody has done before.

Third, there is Air Lift Performance air suspension system. From what I have heard, its performance is actually reasonable good, although if you take it to competition, it struggles to even compete with the stock KYB/Bilsteins systems. Other than that, it's a reasonably reliable system that works:

Now, do you any ideas or suggestions for a properly set-up Ohlins Evo to have a little air lift for the bumps? Or do you just let the Voltex front underboard rub the ramps everytime until it has to be replaced?
Old Apr 17, 2016, 10:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.phantomsuspension.com/

I had found these guys and got a kit from them and had it paired with BC coilovers when I had my lancer. I havent put a set on the Evo, but eventualy I will. I like these guys because their kit is custom fitted to any coilover.

Install was easy because I had them order coilovers for me and they installed their cups onto them before it was shipped to me. If you order the kit for coilovers you already have then you have to send in measurements for some components of your coilovers to them so they can custom cut some components of he cups (shaft diameter primarily). I got about 2.5in - 3in of lift with this kit. This to me is a staple buy since it gives you a choice on your static setup and still gives you that extra lift over troublesome obstacles.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ChaosSoldier
http://www.phantomsuspension.com/

I had found these guys and got a kit from them and had it paired with BC coilovers when I had my lancer. I havent put a set on the Evo, but eventualy I will. I like these guys because their kit is custom fitted to any coilover.

Install was easy because I had them order coilovers for me and they installed their cups onto them before it was shipped to me. If you order the kit for coilovers you already have then you have to send in measurements for some components of your coilovers to them so they can custom cut some components of he cups (shaft diameter primarily). I got about 2.5in - 3in of lift with this kit. This to me is a staple buy since it gives you a choice on your static setup and still gives you that extra lift over troublesome obstacles.
That's some great insight! I'm looking into the Phantom system right now, it looks promising!!
Old Apr 18, 2016, 05:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talk to Chet Rickerman. He did this on his X
Old May 28, 2017, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

I want to add a quick update to this thread.

Chet Rickerman does have an air cup system installed on his Evo. It's a Stance ACS system:

How to give Ohlins R&T a little air lift for the bumps?-ripju6c.jpg

More info about this system can be found here:

http://www.stance-usa.com/main/produ...ir-cup-system/

And in this video:

Stance USA's ACS system is quite similar to Phantom's system. Both lift up to 2 inches.

KW Automotive has a hydraulic lift system that can be fitted to their coilovers. Main shortcoming of it is that it can only lift ~1 inch, but it does not needs a big air tank which takes a lot of space. More info can be found here:

http://www.kwsuspensions.net/kw/info/kw_hls/

And in this video:

I may need to consult a competent and caring suspension tuning shop before moving forward. This does not seem too complicated, but is a road travelled by few.

(Incidentally, I did ask a bunch of guys rolling on Voltex front lip, other aggressive front lips, and low rides. Overwhelming majority of them's philosophy is scrap the front lip until it cracks, then buy a new lip. A good way to add GDP to the economy, for sure. )
Old Mar 31, 2018, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Anyone install the airlift to see how it compares on a track day to ohlins?
Old Apr 7, 2018, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Grimgrak
I have not had the opportunity to actually explore the air cups yet. I'm still waiting for wheels from Rays Engineering and front lip from Voltex. When those are installed, I will move to ordering exhaust and coilovers with air cups.
Old May 4, 2018, 03:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Grimgrak
you can retrofit the existing ohlins or most other coilovers to airbags.
All you do is remove the springs and install the bag in its place. Of course youll need an air management system too.
Airtekk is a company that sells retrofit bags for existing coilovers.
Old May 29, 2018, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DRAGHICI
you can retrofit the existing ohlins or most other coilovers to airbags.
All you do is remove the springs and install the bag in its place. Of course youll need an air management system too.
Airtekk is a company that sells retrofit bags for existing coilovers.
Thanks for the mentioning. I am delighted to learn this.

Recently I had the opportunity to ride an Ohlins DFV-equipped Evo X in my local Evo club. OMG the experience is surreal. It feels like riding an Italian supercar and I can say the vast majority of cheap coilovers fall far below that experience.

So maybe I should look towards getting either (1) Ohlins DFV with Stance ACS or (2) Ohlins DFV retrofitted with Airtekk air bags as my prime choices.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Im currently installing an air system in my Evo X
Old Jun 11, 2018, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the status of your set up now?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kstccf
What is the status of your set up now?
Hasn't happened yet. My shop encountered a few obstacles when rolling the fenders (too much rubbing) and wheel alignment (a ball joint was worn), causing delays. Personally I don't like installing a load of mods at the same time. It could be exhausting and stressful. I prefer to space out the mods and to focus on getting one thing done well at a time.

Here is something interesting that recently came out. iLift: