Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Ohlins Road and Track or KW V3

Old Jan 11, 2017, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
thanks guys. I was really confused by this high rates on street roads DD. I am usually running aroun 8 9K on tarmac with my rally car on the Reigers for racing.

I actually don't mind pushy car since its not for race at all. My tires will give up faster then the understeer would really shine lol.

Anyhow I asked them about pricing and other question what you guys mentioned. When I am back to the states I will def . get the ohlins and get rid of the springs finally.

Although I have to say I am still on the oem suspension with Eibach Pro kit which was nice with me in the last 40K miles, on these NYC etc roads and some track days
Old Jan 11, 2017, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

oh one more question just out of curiosity, do you know the travel on these Ohlins?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 03:52 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Ohlins is still the best coilover for street. Period.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Ohlins is still the best coilover for street. Period.
That is a bold statement. Ohlins R&T are great value at their price point. But the best street coilover period? I am not so sure. All coilovers are a compromise between price/weight/performance/comfort/reliability/etc.

I suspect JRZ, MCS, Penske, Reiger could all put together a streetable coilover that would meet or exceed the Ohlins R&T in all categories (except maybe price).

Note the Ohlins R&T adjusts both rebound & compression with each click. For street use this is not really an issue, but for track use most ppl prefer/recommend a coilover that either adjusts them separately, or adjusts only rebound in the case of 1 ways. http://motioncontrolsuspension.com/1wnr/

Last edited by nemsin; Jan 11, 2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 06:12 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by nemsin
That is a bold statement. Ohlins R&T are great value at their price point. But the best street coilover period? I am not so sure. All coilovers are a compromise between price/weight/performance/comfort/reliability/etc.

I suspect JRZ, MCS, Penske, Reiger could all put together a streetable coilover that would meet or exceed the Ohlins R&T in all categories (except maybe price).

Note the Ohlins R&T adjusts both rebound & compression with each click. For street use this is not really an issue, but for track use most ppl prefer/recommend a coilover that either adjusts them separately, or adjusts only rebound in the case of 1 ways. http://motioncontrolsuspension.com/1wnr/
I don't know anyone that spends that kind of money on coilovers to drive on the street. I guess I kinda figured most of us would take that into account.
And yes, street use. That's what OP is asking about.
👍
Old Jan 11, 2017, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jan 11, 2017 at 10:20 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

i am asking for suspension for road use between the KW V3 and the Ohlins DFV R/T. As i suspected the ohlins won the battle for me. Based on guys recommendations i trust in this case.

i have been using Ohlins, AST 5300, AMR, KW V3, Tein rally etc. Now Reiger Group N in my other evo which is witha driver about 3400lbs. I am pretty familiar with racing set ups, but I am lacking on street performance coilover knowledge.
The Reiger stumps on everything by FAR in that car. But that is not a street car neither 2000 dollar suspension. So i a can beilive Reiger could come up with something better for street and track, but i would say it would. cost twice easily.

My syreet car wouldnt be driven on track, maybe if i get pushed again in competition when i just go there to spectate, like it happened before not once. So this car 99.9% of the time is stricly a street car. Nothing more nothing less.

But thank you for your input.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jan 11, 2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ohlins Dual Valve technology allows for the shock to provide minimal dampening at high rate of shock travel, while maintaining adequate low frequency dampening characteristics (high dampening) for the installed springs. Due to low dampening as car crosses bumps, the rate of energy absorbtion of the suspension is increased, making the perceived jolt much more polerable. As more of the energy gets captured by the suspension due to higher rate of spring compression.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:15 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
i am asking for suspension for road use between the KW V3 and the Ohlins DFV R/T. .
And then there is that.

Originally Posted by Olegator
Ohlins Dual Valve technology allows for the shock to provide minimal dampening at high rate of shock travel, while maintaining adequate low frequency dampening characteristics (high dampening) for the installed springs. Due to low dampening as car crosses bumps, the rate of energy absorbtion of the suspension is increased, making the perceived jolt much more polerable. As more of the energy gets captured by the suspension due to higher rate of spring compression.
Yes, that is why most of us prefer Ohlins for street and light-medium track duty.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

But he thinks the KW V3 is less maintenance and better for what I need. which is basically street driving but spirited if you will.
If the car is just for street driving (in NJ no less), I would agree that the KW V3 are a better choice than the Ohlins R&T. The KW's struts are made of stainless steel and come with a 100% rust-free unlimited life time warranty (vs. 2 years on the Ohlins). The Ohlins are aluminum and will start to show their age after a few harsh NJ winters.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Showing age =/= going bad.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 02:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
oh one more question just out of curiosity, do you know the travel on these Ohlins?
70 mm total for the fronts.. IIRC

for example my ast 5300 have 130 mm BEFORE bumpstop

and no way KW V3 is better on road than Ohlins RT... I have installed 4 sets of RT on evo 9,10 and GTR and the everyday road behaviour of RT is way better than KW.. and I have experience with KW V3 on several cars..

having said that, I do think ohlins made a mistake with springs, especially on evo 9... on X less so, soyou might want stiffer springs in the rear..

Last edited by kikiturbo; Jan 13, 2017 at 02:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Robevo RS (Jan 13, 2017)
Old Jan 13, 2017, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Showing age =/= going bad.
We can agree to disagree. Compare an older (3+ year) set of Ohlins to an equally old set of KW stainless steel struts.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
If the car is just for street driving (in NJ no less), I would agree that the KW V3 are a better choice than the Ohlins R&T. The KW's struts are made of stainless steel and come with a 100% rust-free unlimited life time warranty (vs. 2 years on the Ohlins). The Ohlins are aluminum and will start to show their age after a few harsh NJ winters.
as far as corrosion protection is concerned, you are probably right...

what I do is take a brush and brush on some heavycopper grease on all the threadss... doesnt look nice but I am not into underside polishing.. works a treat though.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

i am thinking to get a roll center kit for this set up. 1.5 in a front and 1 at the rear , i think wouldnt hurt to have it.
I am thinking to get a whiteline one. No sway bars only he RCK.
Thoughts?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ohlins Road and Track or KW V3