Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Honest assessment of HKS coilovers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2017, 08:09 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Bump. Migs... did you ever end up ordering a set? I'm in the same situation. Was going back and forth trying to decide. I like to have fun with the car (track), but I don't compete. Found VERY few reviews on both the sp's and gt's. Ended up ordering the gt's tonight. Going to give them a try.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 09:30 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I ended up ordering a set of the Hipermax IV SPs. They will be here tomorrow!!!

Unfortunately can't give any feedback
Old Jun 9, 2017, 05:04 AM
.M.
Evolved Member

^Cool. No worries about the feedback. Mine should be here in a couple of days to. Have an event coming up first week of july.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 07:33 PM
EvoM Community Team

Some teaser shots

Attached Thumbnails Honest assessment of HKS coilovers-img_7928-1.jpg   Honest assessment of HKS coilovers-img_7929.jpg   Honest assessment of HKS coilovers-img_7931-2.jpg   Honest assessment of HKS coilovers-img_7932-1.jpg   Honest assessment of HKS coilovers-img_7934-1.jpg  

Honest assessment of HKS coilovers-img_7935-1.jpg  
Old Jun 9, 2017, 09:53 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

They look good . I'll be sure to update also.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 05:20 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

​​​​Small rant. So my family and I were home all morning saturday. Fedex decides to not even ring the bell and slap a notice on the door. Awesome. This isn't the first time either. Wanted to add... I've NEVER had a problem with UPS or USPS. So I proceed to call them and ask if I can pick it up at a local site. 3 days go by and they finally call/text me. Yea 3 days. Again... awesome. So the box is beat to all hell and it looks like jaws took a bite out of one end. To my surprise nothing was damaged or missing. I love you fedex

Anyway, they look great and can't wait to get them on.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 05:50 PM
EvoM Community Team

Awesome, glad they weren't damaged . My box wasn't too hot either, but it survived.

I'll be installing mine thursday, probably won't give an opinion until i get an alignment though
Old Jun 13, 2017, 06:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by .M.

​​​​Small rant. So my family and I were home all morning saturday. Fedex decides to not even ring the bell and slap a notice on the door. Awesome. This isn't the first time either. Wanted to add... I've NEVER had a problem with UPS or USPS. So I proceed to call them and ask if I can pick it up at a local site. 3 days go by and they finally call/text me. Yea 3 days. Again... awesome. So the box is beat to all hell and it looks like jaws took a bite out of one end. To my surprise nothing was damaged or missing. I love you fedex

Anyway, they look great and can't wait to get them on.
fedex sucks, never ship anything of value with them if you have a choice. their sorting facilities have 2ft drops, so if you have anything with some heft to it the packaging will get beat up
Old Jun 13, 2017, 08:23 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by migs647
Awesome, glad they weren't damaged . My box wasn't too hot either, but it survived.

I'll be installing mine thursday, probably won't give an opinion until i get an alignment though
Soun​ds good. Post some before and after pics of the drop if possible. Curious to see if the gt's are any different. I'll do the same. Figure might as well add some pics of the gt's in this (your) thread to help out anyone else that searches for info

Originally Posted by warmmilk
fedex sucks, never ship anything of value with them if you have a choice. their sorting facilities have 2ft drops, so if you have anything with some heft to it the packaging will get beat up
Terrible service. This is about the 3rd or 4th time they've done this (for sig required). Still boggles my mind that they don't bother to ring or knock on the door.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:31 AM
EvoM Community Team

I was supposed to get my alignment yesterday from Firestone. I had it scheduled three days in advance. I go there and they told me company policy not to align "aftermarket suspension"... wtf? I was a bit pissed off.

So today going to Les Schwab to get my alignment. I also want to play with dampener settings, but so far it feels like using a surgical knife in the corners.

My #1 complaint... wow at the amount of vibration that goes through the chassis. I had zero vibration / rattles until i put these on. I have gathered it's a result of the pillowball mount. The roads here are extremely coarse from people running studded tires 6 months out of the year and the bad snow storms we've been having. Those roads definitely rattle more so than I like. I'm hoping the alignment and new tires help.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 06:19 AM
.M.
Evolved Member

Were you able to get the alignment done? Most local chains (around here anyway) won't touch a car with aftermarket suspension. Planning on installing mine this upcoming weekend.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 07:13 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by .M.
Were you able to get the alignment done? Most local chains (around here anyway) won't touch a car with aftermarket suspension. Planning on installing mine this upcoming weekend.
Yah I got the alignment done. Drives very precise now. Still need to play with clickers in the front. Feel the rest are solid.

Use the the jack as another person. It helps to lift the assembly and align things properly.

They also seem to still be breaking in a bit. I feel like day to day they are a bit more road friendly.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 09:35 AM
.M.
Evolved Member

Good to hear. How much did it lower the car?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:41 AM
EvoM Community Team

I honestly didn't measure. More than I expected. If I had to guestimeasure I'd say about 1.75" in front and 1.5" in the rear. But I didn't take a tape measure, i just used my fist.

However, I did notice there was a weight drop of just over 6lbs per in the front. I didn't weigh the rears though.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 05:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
have you used different coilovers before? if yes, what were they and how would you compare the HKS to the others?

Quick Reply: Honest assessment of HKS coilovers