Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Ohlins coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2017, 01:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by jaycee842
well of course there are still limititations, but it's a big improvement over the stock suspension. How do you like the NT01? What other tires have you tried at the track? I'm looking at NT01, RE71R at the moment. I might just go with the new 595 RSRR also.
can't say anything to the new RSRR, but if you're looking at doing track days don't get the RE71R. They're lasting only 2-4 days on light cars like Miata's, S2k's, and 86's, and they get greasy and lose time after a few laps. they might be a hair faster than an NT01 at its peak, but the NT01 will last a full session and more track days. RE71R is an autox tire, and its great for that.

another tire to consider is the new Hankook RS4. there isn't much info out there on it yet... from the few reviews I managed to find it has stiff sidewalls like the RE71R and it needs a lap to get up to temp. Based on that it sounds like its an Extreme Performance (going by Tire Racks classifications) class tire but aimed more at track use rather than autox like the rest of the tires in that class. the RS3 is easily the most popular lapping day tire in the class based on what I've seen at track days, so maybe Hankook decided to fully embrace that with the RS4? but like I said, there isn't much info out there on these tires yet and I don't have personal experience with them, so maybe the reviews I read was full of crap...
Old May 30, 2017, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
can't say anything to the new RSRR, but if you're looking at doing track days don't get the RE71R. They're lasting only 2-4 days on light cars like Miata's, S2k's, and 86's, and they get greasy and lose time after a few laps. they might be a hair faster than an NT01 at its peak, but the NT01 will last a full session and more track days. RE71R is an autox tire, and its great for that.

another tire to consider is the new Hankook RS4. there isn't much info out there on it yet... from the few reviews I managed to find it has stiff sidewalls like the RE71R and it needs a lap to get up to temp. Based on that it sounds like its an Extreme Performance (going by Tire Racks classifications) class tire but aimed more at track use rather than autox like the rest of the tires in that class. the RS3 is easily the most popular lapping day tire in the class based on what I've seen at track days, so maybe Hankook decided to fully embrace that with the RS4? but like I said, there isn't much info out there on these tires yet and I don't have personal experience with them, so maybe the reviews I read was full of crap...
I know a couple guys running RE71R tires on their X. One of them tracks his Evo and he has said they last him pretty well considering everyone says they wear really fast. I would like to try them myself to see. I have heard NT01 last longer. I might just go for those. idk decisions, decisions

I had RS3 before and they were good. Aside from how loud and greasy they were after a couple laps I loved them. They had so much grip. I wish I could by all these tires at the same time and just swap them in between sessions
Old May 30, 2017, 04:00 PM
EvoM Guru

if I lived in LA and rain wasn't an issue, I'd go for the NT01's
Old May 30, 2017, 04:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I would still go through Performance shock. They revalve for free when you change spring rates on initial purchase. MAP does not offer this since they are not a suspension company, just a drop shipper.
Old May 30, 2017, 04:12 PM
EvoM Guru

I didn't know Performance Shock did free revalves if you purchase from them... thats a pretty significant saving. Ohlins charged around 500 for a set of 4 when I bought a set for my Miata
Old May 30, 2017, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
if I lived in LA and rain wasn't an issue, I'd go for the NT01's
Haha that's what I was thinking last year when I bought R888. I used them on the track and street since it doesn't rain out here. And they were doing really well until it started pouring consistently late in the year. The car was dancing in the rain on the freeway many times-had to drive slow. I am going to try out the 595RSRR and see how they do on the track and street. If they do good I'll keep them and save the money
Old May 30, 2017, 04:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Yeah. Especially considering the Evo kits come with incorrect spring rates from ohlins.
Old May 30, 2017, 04:46 PM
EvoM Guru

haha, so do the NC Ohlins
Old May 30, 2017, 04:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
I don't run my R's on the street unless I'm driving to/from a track. If there is rain in the forecast I put them in the back seat.

I stopped driving around on R's about ten years ago. One day I was driving to the shop to do a customer tune on my well used Pilot Sport Cups and it started raining, about 35F out. It was literally the scarest **** I have ever been in and I've driven in some crazy *** snow storms before.

I couldn't even go above 30 mph without losing control. I got off the highway asap which meant going 10mph in the emergency lane for a mile with my hazards on.

Never again.
Old May 30, 2017, 05:23 PM
EvoM Guru

well to be fair you're in the Bay area and OP is in LA... chances of rain are much lower in LA... especially surprise unexpected rain...

being in the Seattle area I'm pretty much in the same boat as you and is the reason I don't have NT01's on my Miata
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:18 AM
EvoM Guru

I trailer my car ...NT01's FTW.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:08 PM
EvoM Guru

then don't be a ***** and get some Hoosier R7's
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:17 PM
EvoM Guru

I can't afford the hoosier life. They cost double what I get the NT01's for, and last 1/2 as long...lol
Old Jun 2, 2017, 05:52 PM
EvoM Guru

but they're twice as fast!
Old Jun 3, 2017, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Can Ohlins be setup at stock ride height? I know they're meant for a drop of about an inch.

Quick Reply: Ohlins coilovers?