Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Ohlins coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 05:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ohlins coilovers?

I've seen the ohlins coilover for around 2000-2080 shipped but can't seem to find the vendor or vendors that had them on sale?

Any help pointing me to the deals would be great.

thanks
Old May 25, 2017, 07:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Contact Performance Shock in Sonoma, CA.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MAP Performance sent me Ohlins within a week. had it installed and love them
Old May 25, 2017, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i got it from MAP too. awesome suspension!!! Def the best for both world. Daily driving and light track use.
Old May 27, 2017, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought mine from Evasive, but regret it not getting it from MAP. They almost always have better prices including tax free.
Old May 27, 2017, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
i got it from MAP too. awesome suspension!!! Def the best for both world. Daily driving and light track use.
what is your setup like? Spring rate and stuff. Just curious
Old May 27, 2017, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jaycee842
what is your setup like? Spring rate and stuff. Just curious
off-shelf. i didnt change anything.
The car feels stock and even better on road, and its great at high speed . Didnt drove mine on track yet, but i did a track day with my friend car which has a same ohlins as mine but older , and he has a square 10K spring rate set up.
Old May 28, 2017, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
At what interval do you guys rebuild your Ohlins (and as what type [street, track] of use does your Ohlins see)?

I heard Ohlins recommend a rebuild interval of ~20k miles, but then there are guys who push their Ohlins to 105k miles before a rebuild, lol:

Originally Posted by Stormhammer
I'm the second thread PLMM referenced to.

For what it's worth, I'm pushing 105k on the Ohlin DFV's. Truthfully, the loss of performance isn't noticeable, likely because of how gradual it's been. I will say this, the roller bearings rattle like a biscuit, especially when I hit tar snakes. Rebound is still nice and firm though.

I don't auto-x or HPDE or anything with the car. I just haul *** through the mountains, and they still do their job, and it's my daily driver. The settings are set for dailying with the odd autocross, so the rebound is pretty nice.

I'm sure when they're sent in for rebuild ( $700 as quoted by Ohlins ) I'll have my mind blown from the performance increase. They came on the car, so I can't comment much on the matter, but for the price, unless you're constantly participating in track events, I'll agree with some others, Koni's and some good springs will likely do the trick for 90% of the owners out there. Not many people adjust their coilover dampening from dailying to mountains to autox and back. Especially when you look at the cost differential.

Are Ohlin DFV's a god amongst coilovers? Yes. Do I feel that a 19 year old should drop $2k+ for a set when logically, a set of Koni's + Progress springs will give them exactly what they want performance wise, bragging rights aside? Nope. If you can find them used, then the world is your oyster though

That being said - you have to look at Ohlin's like exotic cars. They go in for service more frequently than your Honda Civic, and the service is more expensive. It's the price you pay to play with that level of performance.
Source: https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=562848
Old May 29, 2017, 08:10 AM

off-shelf. i didnt change anything.
The car feels stock and even better on road, and its great at high speed . Didnt drove mine on track yet, but i did a track day with my friend car which has a same ohlins as mine but older , and he has a square 10K spring rate set up.
How'd you like your friend's car? I'm running 9K/10K. They are beast on the track.
Old May 29, 2017, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

that car runned on Hoosier A7's which are 275 wide slicks. So that ohlins and well set up combo , the car is literally drive around anything there. Not the straight but the turns.....
Car felt like on rails. I am not over exaggerating that.

The ohlins with aggressive tires are unbelievable. I am not used to run wide and sticky tires , since the rally rules allows only 225 max wide tires max 18 inch wheels, and about 140 UTOQ equivalent tires grips.
So for me was really unreal.
Old May 29, 2017, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lightsaber
At what interval do you guys rebuild your Ohlins (and as what type [street, track] of use does your Ohlins see)?

I heard Ohlins recommend a rebuild interval of ~20k miles, but then there are guys who push their Ohlins to 105k miles before a rebuild, lol:

Source: https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=562848
$700 for a rebuild I'll just do my own rebuilds when needed save a bunch of money.

Anyways got a set cumming from an outside vendor, and tried to get a set from mullerized but they never responded to me after a couple days but then they called me but I had already got a set on the way. When all I wanted was a set straight how they come instead trying to tell me the don't come assembled and selling me more than what I wanted

Can't wait to get them setup and on the car!!
Old May 29, 2017, 10:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by FACT0RY PIL0T
Anyways got a set cumming from an outside vendor
Alright, this phonetic spelling blight has gone too far...
Old May 29, 2017, 05:18 PM

that car runned on Hoosier A7's which are 275 wide slicks. So that ohlins and well set up combo , the car is literally drive around anything there. Not the straight but the turns.....
Car felt like on rails. I am not over exaggerating that.

The ohlins with aggressive tires are unbelievable. I am not used to run wide and sticky tires , since the rally rules allows only 225 max wide tires max 18 inch wheels, and about 140 UTOQ equivalent tires grips.
So for me was really unreal.
thats good to hear! I have been using 245 tires while my 10.5 wheels arrive. Can't wait to try 275 with this setup on the track!
Old May 29, 2017, 09:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
I run 275/35/18 NT01 R-compounds with Ohlins and 10k/10k spring rates. -3.2f/-2.1 rear camber. The car feels fantastic on track but don't think it's magic. Physics still rule the planet.

I still feel like my Evo 8 gripped better in side loads but my Evo 10 is faster with basically the same modifications so perception does not always equal reality.
Old May 29, 2017, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by razorlab
I run 275/35/18 NT01 R-compounds with Ohlins and 10k/10k spring rates. -3.2f/-2.1 rear camber. The car feels fantastic on track but don't think it's magic. Physics still rule the planet.

I still feel like my Evo 8 gripped better in side loads but my Evo 10 is faster with basically the same modifications so perception does not always equal reality.
well of course there are still limititations, but it's a big improvement over the stock suspension. How do you like the NT01? What other tires have you tried at the track? I'm looking at NT01, RE71R at the moment. I might just go with the new 595 RSRR also.

Quick Reply: Ohlins coilovers?