Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.
View Poll Results: How many miles did you get out of your lowering springs before struts were toasted?
Less than 10k miles
7.69%
Less than 25k miles
0%
Made it to 50k miles
7.69%
Never had any issues with my lowering springs
84.62%
What are lowering springs and why are you asking me this?
0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Bilstein with lowering springs longevity (Swift, GTWorx, Tanabe, Tein, H&R, etc)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:20 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Bilstein with lowering springs longevity (Swift, GTWorx, Tanabe, Tein, H&R, etc)

I'm curious of everyone's experiences with longevity (time before having to do a rebuild because of a blown seal) while using lowering springs? Which springs were you using? How many miles did you get out of them? Did you like them? Was the ride close to normal? Was the handling much improved?

My car has HKS Hipermax SP IV coilovers. The handling is amazing, the ride not so much, and the vibration that resonates throughout the chassis because of the pillowball mounts just isn't worth it to me any more.

I'm definitely putting my factory bilsteins back on, but debating on lowering springs to go with it. I have had re-valved Bilsteins with Swift Spec-R and while handling was great the ride sucked on Northwest roads. I do have 18x9.5 Volk CE28SLs, but I don't care about looks. I just want to remove a bit of body roll from the factory struts and still have an acceptable ride. If you all have had experiences having to rebuild after a short time, I'll gladly stick with the factory springs and 4x4 gaps.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Just do it little buddy.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
This thread is about as exciting as your personality.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 02:52 PM
AJV

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I know my response doesn't help much since I am using GSR Kyb's but I installed them (Swift Spec R) when I had 40k miles on the car. I got an alignment right away. Shocks ended up getting super bouncy and a little leaky at 80k. The front driver side has an occasional clunk now. Though all suspension and steering components are all secure. I wasn't able to get my Hipermax GTs like I had planned. My timing chain needed to be done first
The following users liked this post:
JDZNate (Sep 12, 2017)
Old Sep 12, 2017, 06:09 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I think it's still relevant data.

I adjusted my dampening all the way out, 1 in on the HKS SPs and the ride is a lot better. Rolling over some things before felt like hitting a log. It's acceptable for now.

I've heard stories of people having lowering springs and having blown struts 20-40k miles later. I really don't want to go down that road. Just hoping for more data from the community.
The following users liked this post:
JDZNate (Sep 12, 2017)
Old Sep 12, 2017, 01:11 PM
AJV

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by migs647
I think it's still relevant data.

I adjusted my dampening all the way out, 1 in on the HKS SPs and the ride is a lot better. Rolling over some things before felt like hitting a log. It's acceptable for now.

I've heard stories of people having lowering springs and having blown struts 20-40k miles later. I really don't want to go down that road. Just hoping for more data from the community.
The 40k would be accurate in my experience. I'm the 2nd owner of the car. At 110k miles the car is dying for an upgrade.