Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

"Unfixable" alignment

Old Oct 13, 2017, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Unfixable" alignment

Hello!

A while ago while driving at night in my 14' GSR when I hit a mean pothole which not only blew out my front passenger tire, but also knocked my alignment out of whack. Here is how it currently looks. (top is before adjustment, bottom is after)

The alignment was done at a local alignment shop, the technician told me he cannot adjust the front right because "the camber and caster are already maxed out".

I went to another shop to inquire about it and they told me that the alignment is "unfixable" and that something must be damaged which could be preventing any adjustment.

I don't doubt that something might be damaged, but my problem is figuring out what. I suspect maybe bent control arm but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?
Old Oct 13, 2017, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Caster almost always is not adjustable.

Based off the camber being positive. Something is bent. I would start by replacing the strut.

Lift car up and look at all suspension components. Something is bent. Probably even lower control arm. Compare to good side. Also maybe post a good picture.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by 4b11slayer
Caster almost always is not adjustable.

Based off the camber being positive. Something is bent. I would start by replacing the strut.

Lift car up and look at all suspension components. Something is bent. Probably even lower control arm. Compare to good side. Also maybe post a good picture.
I took the wheel off today to check for any damages. By looking at it and comparing it to the good side I can't tell if anything is bent at all. However, I will begin by replacing the lower control arm and then the strut. Hopefully that'll fix the issue.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I suggest not just replacing parts unless you have them laying around. It could be a number of different things. We had a similar problem and learned that a bracket for mounting the coilover had been damaged. A good shop will be able to pull it apart and identify the problem.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Johnr352
I suggest not just replacing parts unless you have them laying around. It could be a number of different things. We had a similar problem and learned that a bracket for mounting the coilover had been damaged. A good shop will be able to pull it apart and identify the problem.
I went to a reputable local shop today and they told me it was indeed the front lower control arm (as the mechanic pointed at the ball joint) which was a bit offset compared to the left side. Which makes me wonder, could it be that the balljoint is what needs to be replaced instead of the whole control arm?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
You hit a curb. Its bent. Replace it
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
You can't buy the stock ball joint separately. I would suggest finding a good used lower arm assembly on Ebay, they can typically by had for a only a couple hundred bucks.