Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

What if 225 or even 215?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 08:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The RS comes with steelies and cheap/small tires because it's meant for race teams to buy and immediately turn into a racecar.

This idea is so full of fail.If you can't get the Evo to power slide and be fun to drive on stock rubber, you have no business trying to get the car to slide regardless of whats done it.

Future timeline-

"Guys, check out my new skinny drift tire setup."
"Guys, check out this drift pic."
"Guys, when is an Evo considered totaled?"
Old Mar 23, 2018, 09:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The RS comes with steelies and cheap/small tires because it's meant for race teams to buy and immediately turn into a racecar.

This idea is so full of fail.If you can't get the Evo to power slide and be fun to drive on stock rubber, you have no business trying to get the car to slide regardless of whats done it.

Future timeline-

"Guys, check out my new skinny drift tire setup."
"Guys, check out this drift pic."
"Guys, when is an Evo considered totaled?"
It's not even 10am on a Friday and I've opened my beer getting ready to watch this show.

OP, I realize that it's your car and you can do what you want with it, but the majority of the members on this forum support functionality first because it's safer and much more fun. They do not support anything related to "hella flush," incorrect wheels size and offset that forces you to run dangerous levels of chamber, rubber band tires, etc....I think you know where i'm going with this. Use the car for what it was built for and it will reward you.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My current (Michigan) winter setup: Continental Pure Contact 225/45 R 18 on 18 x 8.5 RPF1s. Since installing these in the winter of 2015, I’ve been too lazy to go back to summer tires. I kinda like the lower grip dynamics and try to slide around as much as possible on the few twisty roads that we have here, typically with tcs and stability control full off and having fun with torque vectoring. This setup works well for my driving style and local 3rd-world road conditions. The smaller tires are a bit lighter and also increase the effective gearing by about 1%.

Note: These tires are a bit wider than suggested by the 225 section width (8.5” tread width according to tire rack specs and measurement method) so they are a reasonable fit on an 8.5” wheel. 25,000 miles later, they’re still a good compromise for my use.

I’m tempted to try a winter tire and/or stickier tire up front for more oversteer depending upon the season. Tires are cheap with my Conti discount, so doesn’t cost me much to experiment.

Since there are some more appealing Continental tires available today, my next set of tires will likely be in a different direction. Still tempted by the ContiSportContact 5P in 235/40 R18 (AMG CLA 45 tire).

Last edited by tequilaboy; Mar 30, 2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 02:45 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I woke up in a good mood today... now I have a headache. As much as I dislike piling on noobs, at the risk of turning the culture into something negative.....
Old Mar 24, 2018, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that is inaccurate the RS was sold only in Japan and its intended for either guys with not a lot of money that are planning to tune the car, or just for guys and gals (yeah right) who want to race the **** out of it and don't want to pay extra for comodities, but rally teams actually bought either mitsubishi prepared A or N cars that came either with cage or with stripped interiors to install the cages, even citroen offer race prepared cars, so rally and race teams didnt bought RSs they bought A or N cars directly from mitsubishi,skinnier tires meant you are ging to be slower throught corners but they also mean you also need greater and finer control thats why the RS also was sold with out an ABS and yes cars with ABS are also slower throught certain cornes, but the again the point is having fun.
ther is a club of touge racers in Japan with stock Evos rs with steelies I wil post something about them.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 04:38 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I had a few of of these laying around. They are extra, so all yours:

.................................................. .................................................. .......................
Old Apr 11, 2018, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I have 205/65-15 that go on a 15x7" rim with 25 offset. That's the smallest I have put on the car thus far.