Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

NEW Release Cobb EVO X Sway Bars

Old Nov 3, 2008, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How are these bars weight wise when compared to stock? Any exact figures? Looks like a good upgrade for sure...just a matter of time now before I invest
Old Nov 4, 2008, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
First suspension mod should be sway bars on the X. Stock ride is very nice on street and competent on the track but too much body roll. Bars should take car of this. Who is making these bars for Cobb? Same company as Works? Only a few who are making hollow bars. Could be Hotshkis private label? Think I will buy a set for the MR. Next mod should be springs. Are the Cobb progressive at front and rear and how do they compare to the Works? Very similar products and I will assume will be better than the Eibach kit who probably did not spend as much time "tuning" their springs specifically for this platform as Cobb or Works has done. It is possible that if ride quality is most important and above looks, there really might not be a reason for most to buy coilovers.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

Have a set set on my car,

Cob sway ars front and rear
Eibach springs
Nitto Invo 275/35(now mostley shreded)
front: 0 toe, 1.7 camber
rear: .4 total toe, 1.7 camber

= equals a squirrel on an engergy drink at the track!

Those bar are worth every penny but the front is a brutal install.

I was mauling a new GTR at the track this past weekend (i.e. no long straits)
Old Nov 5, 2008, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Im in the market for a set of sway bars and am deciding on either Cobb or Works.

What settings are you running on your saw bars? I know you have two stiffness settings for the front and three stiffness settings for the rear. Does the car understeer, neutral or oversteer with these bars?

You mentioned installation is brutal, any tips?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by txfoster
Have a set set on my car,

Cob sway ars front and rear
Eibach springs
Nitto Invo 275/35(now mostley shreded)
front: 0 toe, 1.7 camber
rear: .4 total toe, 1.7 camber

= equals a squirrel on an engergy drink at the track!

Those bar are worth every penny but the front is a brutal install.

I was mauling a new GTR at the track this past weekend (i.e. no long straits)
Old Nov 5, 2008, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Soft setting seems to seems to be best witout going to track tires and coilovers.

Plus in need more playtime with them, only one weekend of running them.

Balance was GREAT could throttle steer the car OK did not get to set the rear stiffer would be nice to have a little more oversteer.

This little car is amazing how well it responds to suspension and engine changes.
I can carry so much speed into a turns it scares me(especialy on street tires).

Good luck!

P.S.
A shop put them in so I can give no hints.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 03:08 PM
Silver Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SilverEvoX
How are these bars weight wise when compared to stock? Any exact figures? Looks like a good upgrade for sure...just a matter of time now before I invest
I am sorry I do not have exact weights of the stock bars to compare to the cobb ones yet. Let me try and find this info.

Originally Posted by smgevo
First suspension mod should be sway bars on the X. Stock ride is very nice on street and competent on the track but too much body roll. Bars should take car of this. Who is making these bars for Cobb? Same company as Works? Only a few who are making hollow bars. Could be Hotshkis private label? Think I will buy a set for the MR. Next mod should be springs. Are the Cobb progressive at front and rear and how do they compare to the Works? Very similar products and I will assume will be better than the Eibach kit who probably did not spend as much time "tuning" their springs specifically for this platform as Cobb or Works has done. It is possible that if ride quality is most important and above looks, there really might not be a reason for most to buy coilovers.
I am not sure who makes them for cobb but they are a super high quality piece.

The cobb springs are not listed to be a progressive spring the rates are approx 10% stiffer then stock.

I know cobb tested all these products on their own EVO X on the track here at miller cause I got he pleasure of being there when they were doing it.

Also thanks for the feedback on how they are working it is always nice to have some unbiased reviews on new products like this
Old Nov 6, 2008, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

Don't know if the hollow bars will produce better or worse results on this evo X platform than solid bars. Hollow are of course lighter, but have less flex inherent in their design over solid. Therefore you may end up lifting a wheel easier than with solid bars depending on their effective rate. Steel bars flex more than solid even though the % of stock stiffness is the same I believe.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 04:12 PM
Silver Sponsor

If the hollow bar flexes more it will allow the suspension to move more independently causing the wheel not to pick up as easy rather then the other way around.

But if the hollow bar and solid bar have the same rate they should flex approx the same.

When manufacturing a hollow sway bar you have more things to play around with then just overall diameter. You have O.D and wall thickness to give your bar the desired rate and weight reduction. This makes for a little bit more $$ to product them but a very nice product in the end.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

how much are a set of front and rear sways shipped to Vancouver, Canada V5S-1C5?
Old Nov 6, 2008, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

Your argument makes sense. But my statement was meant to state that hollow bars flex less than steel bars typically. Now if the rates are the same, I don't know if they will both flex/deflect the same amount. I guess Cobb needs to provide information as to what their effective rates for the bars are compared to stock and other steel bars. I like their product and may get them over the other manufacturers, but want a little more information on them. It will be interesting to compare them to the new Hotchkis bar specs. I do know that some hollow bars in the past in the BMW market have been know to break easier than solid bars. This could be due to many different factors and does not mean in any way that hollow bars are bad.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 08:34 AM
Silver Sponsor

LVSBB6 - you have a pm

smgevo - I am actually not sure if the hollow bar would bend less. I am pretty sure that they would bend the same as the bending does correlate into rate. These bars will bend less then stock due to them being designed to be stiffer. Hollow bars when they are built do have higher stress levels on the outside of the bar but when Cobb designed it I am sure they took this into account and Cobb does off a warranty on their products.

For Cobb to release the rates of the bars would probably not be in their best interest. With the shady things that some manufacturers do you would prob see a C-spec sway bar come out for super cheap and all Cobbs time and money spent on R&D would be lost.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 11:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well a spring rate is a spring rate. Yes you need a thicker equivalent hollow bar to get the same rate for a solid bar, but 100 lbs/in is 100 lbs/in. The advantage of the hollow bar is that you get that 100 lbs/in (or whatever) at a lighter weight.

Since Cobb provided their percent increase over stock, if you have a stock bar you can take some measurements and get the spring rate of the stock bar and use that to get the spring rate of the Cobb bars. You could even then figure out what diameter solid bar would give you the same spring rate as the Cobb's.

Cobb's hollow bars for Subaru were made by Hotchkis and were great quality. Never heard of any problems with them so I assume the same can be said for their new EVO bars.

- drew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Nov 7, 2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

I believe that the advantage of the hollow bar is not only lower weight, but a thinner diameter bar for the same effective rate as solid. Maybe someone can confirm this and the advantages of both styles of bars. It appears that Cobb and Hotchkis are the only hollow bars out now. Works, Cusco, Swift, Eibach are solid. Maybe we need a "sway bar" thread to discuss all styles and leave this one to Cobb comments.

Since the evo X is so neutral handling, I don't know what the pros and cons are to running both front and rear bars. It seems that you would want to run a balanced set of bars for a particular car, but in many cases, only a rear bar is used. don't know how a rear only bar can help keep the front as flat without a upgraded bar as with one?
Old Nov 9, 2008, 06:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
^ No...you will need a thicker hollow bar for the same rate solid bar. I actually did calculate everything out for Cobb's Subaru hollow bars and tehir 25.5 mm hollow front bar had the same rate as a 23mm (about that) solid bar. It was lighter then an equivalent 23mm solid bar. That's really all it comes down to, along with cost and concerns about consistency of the bar's construction.

A thicker rear bar will decrease weight transfer on the front tires and increase front grip due to more evenly loaded front tires. They do increase rear weight transfer (total stays the same). This should all increase oversteer and it does. However rear body roll is decreased which helps increase rear grip, so total grip is usually improved at the same time, as long as you don't go too big.

But a bigger rear bar sometimes causes people to lift an inside rear wheel under tight corners with sticky tires. A bigger front bar will help keep that tire down. And while a bigger front bar should theoretically cause some understeer, they do help a camber challenged front strut based car by keeping body roll in check.

I usually recommend a front and rear set....but the front install is miserable. If you get just one, i say get a mild rear bar.

- Andrew
Old Nov 9, 2008, 09:36 PM
Evolving Member

Got it thanks. Most bars seem to be only 2mm thicker for the solid and similar rates for the hollow, so it appears that none of them so far for the X platform are overly agressive. I will check out labor for the front bar. Good discussion here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NEW Release Cobb EVO X Sway Bars